LCD screen on trip computer

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:
LCD screen on trip computer

Postby DrSebWilkes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 pm

Hello everyone,

Just one of those things that is annoying me more than it ought to! Are these LCD screens replaceable or does the whole unit have to replaced?

Looks like one of the digits doesn't display properly, sadly :\
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: LCD screen on trip computer

Postby davidr » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi Seb - could be worth taking it apart to see if there's a dry solder joint but most likely you will need to replace the whole unit. Of course you could revert to the clock but you'd have to get the suitable veneer surround as well
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: LCD screen on trip computer

Postby DrSebWilkes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi Seb - could be worth taking it apart to see if there's a dry solder joint but most likely you will need to replace the whole unit. Of course you could revert to the clock but you'd have to get the suitable veneer surround as well
Oh no! Really? I like the computer actually - I remember seeing it on a clip of old Top Gear before I had an XJS and just loved the idea of a 90s trinket.

I'm surprised the screens can't be replaced? I mean you see so many calculators and whatnot with similar looking screens. How much is the full-replacement alternatives? (IE: how much is the clock / veneer, or a replacement unit)?
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: LCD screen on trip computer

Postby davidr » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm sure it's possible to either fix it, replace the screen or send it away for repair but I've never heard of it being done. Usually people just find another one second hand to replace it. (ps. You'll see plenty of pre-facelift ones on eBay for £30-40 but they will not work in a facelift car which I think yours is)
It's very common for the lcd for the heater controls on X300's to fail and there is a chap who fixes those. Trawl through the X300 section and I think you'll find a couple of threads there.

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: LCD screen on trip computer

Postby DrSebWilkes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:28 am

Will do tomorrow, BUT I did find this right before bed:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLOCK-LCD-fo ... SwzrxUtDR7

I'll email him if he thinks it would be compatible, but knowing how Jaguar were not super willing to spend money on trivial stuff like making a new Trip Computer, I don't see why something like this one day would work. Better than breaking originality with a clock (as much as I like clocks)
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: LCD screen on trip computer

Postby DrSebWilkes » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Sorry am I missing something?

I had about 15 mins last night before bed (ergo coming home today) and I tried to get the trip computer out ... I take it it's just a case of taking off the buttons to access securing screws? If so, then how do I take off the adjacent buttons because they seem really solidly clipped on and I'm afraid of damaging the wood.

Any tricks or is it just ... what it is?
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests