Hello everyone,
Just one of those things that is annoying me more than it ought to! Are these LCD screens replaceable or does the whole unit have to replaced?
Looks like one of the digits doesn't display properly, sadly :\
LCD screen on trip computer
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
- DrSebWilkes
- Posts:68
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
- Location:Cheshire
- Contact:
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look

Re: LCD screen on trip computer
Hi Seb - could be worth taking it apart to see if there's a dry solder joint but most likely you will need to replace the whole unit. Of course you could revert to the clock but you'd have to get the suitable veneer surround as well
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
- DrSebWilkes
- Posts:68
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
- Location:Cheshire
- Contact:
Re: LCD screen on trip computer
Oh no! Really? I like the computer actually - I remember seeing it on a clip of old Top Gear before I had an XJS and just loved the idea of a 90s trinket.Hi Seb - could be worth taking it apart to see if there's a dry solder joint but most likely you will need to replace the whole unit. Of course you could revert to the clock but you'd have to get the suitable veneer surround as well
I'm surprised the screens can't be replaced? I mean you see so many calculators and whatnot with similar looking screens. How much is the full-replacement alternatives? (IE: how much is the clock / veneer, or a replacement unit)?
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look

Re: LCD screen on trip computer
I'm sure it's possible to either fix it, replace the screen or send it away for repair but I've never heard of it being done. Usually people just find another one second hand to replace it. (ps. You'll see plenty of pre-facelift ones on eBay for £30-40 but they will not work in a facelift car which I think yours is)
It's very common for the lcd for the heater controls on X300's to fail and there is a chap who fixes those. Trawl through the X300 section and I think you'll find a couple of threads there.
It's very common for the lcd for the heater controls on X300's to fail and there is a chap who fixes those. Trawl through the X300 section and I think you'll find a couple of threads there.
- DrSebWilkes
- Posts:68
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
- Location:Cheshire
- Contact:
Re: LCD screen on trip computer
Will do tomorrow, BUT I did find this right before bed:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLOCK-LCD-fo ... SwzrxUtDR7
I'll email him if he thinks it would be compatible, but knowing how Jaguar were not super willing to spend money on trivial stuff like making a new Trip Computer, I don't see why something like this one day would work. Better than breaking originality with a clock (as much as I like clocks)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLOCK-LCD-fo ... SwzrxUtDR7
I'll email him if he thinks it would be compatible, but knowing how Jaguar were not super willing to spend money on trivial stuff like making a new Trip Computer, I don't see why something like this one day would work. Better than breaking originality with a clock (as much as I like clocks)
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look

- DrSebWilkes
- Posts:68
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
- Location:Cheshire
- Contact:
Re: LCD screen on trip computer
Sorry am I missing something?
I had about 15 mins last night before bed (ergo coming home today) and I tried to get the trip computer out ... I take it it's just a case of taking off the buttons to access securing screws? If so, then how do I take off the adjacent buttons because they seem really solidly clipped on and I'm afraid of damaging the wood.
Any tricks or is it just ... what it is?
I had about 15 mins last night before bed (ergo coming home today) and I tried to get the trip computer out ... I take it it's just a case of taking off the buttons to access securing screws? If so, then how do I take off the adjacent buttons because they seem really solidly clipped on and I'm afraid of damaging the wood.
Any tricks or is it just ... what it is?
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
