Adhesive Front Number Plate

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

smoggy1965
Posts:31
Joined:Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 pm
Location:South Yorkshire
Adhesive Front Number Plate

Postby smoggy1965 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:31 pm

I am thinking of removing my standard number plate and obtaining an adhesive one, as seen on a few cars in the Gallary.

As a quick straw pole has anybody with one of these adhesive plates ever been stopped/ prosecuted or had any MOT problems because of this location of the front number plate.
Smoggy1965
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Postby Nik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi Smoggy ,
Although strictly speaking they are not legal :cry: I have not heard of anyone having any problem with this type of plate but if you are worried it may be a problem :? have you considered using a lowered numberplate plinth ,
I pondered long and hard and in the end used a Paramount Performance GRP plinth and painted it Dorchester Grey to match the window trims etc ,
don't think it looks too bad :?:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... one001.jpg
it also opens up the nosecone mouth area ,
its a shame the original plate obscures the opening so much :? ,

All the best ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

GrandTourer
Posts:297
Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Location:Leicester, UK

Postby GrandTourer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:34 pm

The centre segment of the '8' looks a bit crafty, Nik :wink:

Have you thought of a good reply yet just in the event you get stopped and asked?? - like: "well look at that Officer, this was white when I left home, a bit of tar must have hit my plate :roll: :roll: "

See you soon :)
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Postby Nik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi Karl ,
It's actually a genuine black number plate bolt :wink: ,
there is an identical bolt in the other side , as I like symmetry it's exactly opposite the one that just so happens to be in the middle of the O :!:

Pure coincidence that the O looks like an 8 from a distance :twisted:

Goes straight through the MOT test every year with no problems :?

Blow me if the rear plate bolts worked out to be in a similar position :roll: ,

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... O008-1.jpg
See you soon my friend ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

bobwnm
Posts:33
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:26 pm
Location:Tyne & Wear

Postby bobwnm » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Smoggy 1965,
I got mine off ebay, then had printed some small makers names & postcodes & also the British Standard no. I stuck these on to replicate the rear plate, just to make everything as legal as possible.
I have seen main dealers turn out plates in this way when ground clearance is an issue on cars such as an Elise etc.
Like Bleasie I carry a plate in the boot, but have never had an issue with the law or an MOT, I always make a point of asking when taking the car for a test " will that plate be OK this year?"
As Bleasie says, they are not legal!!! but the chances are we will get away with it , as long as we don't do anything else stupid!

Bob

cjrm1
Posts:23
Joined:Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Postby cjrm1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:06 pm


smoggy1965
Posts:31
Joined:Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 pm
Location:South Yorkshire

Postby smoggy1965 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks for all the Replies.

I bit the bullet and bought an adamesh plinth at Jaguar spares day and lowered the plate. All appeared well but unfortunately the speed bumps around here are huge and after many bumps I ended up worrying at every one I approached.

So now I have fitted an adhesive plate instead.

Now I'm looking for a badge to fit on the bonnet, as my old ones curve won't sit properly on the flatter serfice.

thanks
Smoggy1965
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]

smoggy1965
Posts:31
Joined:Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 pm
Location:South Yorkshire

Postby smoggy1965 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:39 am

Dear HOT92 Thanks for tha,t I have now fitted the badge as you said. Now I have just got to find a plate that does not crease / lift after a few days on.
Smoggy1965
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests