I am thinking of removing my standard number plate and obtaining an adhesive one, as seen on a few cars in the Gallary.
As a quick straw pole has anybody with one of these adhesive plates ever been stopped/ prosecuted or had any MOT problems because of this location of the front number plate.
Adhesive Front Number Plate
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
smoggy1965
- Posts:31
- Joined:Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 pm
- Location:South Yorkshire
Smoggy1965
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]
Hi Smoggy ,
Although strictly speaking they are not legal
I have not heard of anyone having any problem with this type of plate but if you are worried it may be a problem
have you considered using a lowered numberplate plinth ,
I pondered long and hard and in the end used a Paramount Performance GRP plinth and painted it Dorchester Grey to match the window trims etc ,
don't think it looks too bad
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... one001.jpg
it also opens up the nosecone mouth area ,
its a shame the original plate obscures the opening so much
,
All the best ,
Nik
Although strictly speaking they are not legal
I pondered long and hard and in the end used a Paramount Performance GRP plinth and painted it Dorchester Grey to match the window trims etc ,
don't think it looks too bad
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... one001.jpg
it also opens up the nosecone mouth area ,
its a shame the original plate obscures the opening so much
All the best ,
Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO
-
GrandTourer
- Posts:297
- Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
- Location:Leicester, UK
The centre segment of the '8' looks a bit crafty, Nik 
Have you thought of a good reply yet just in the event you get stopped and asked?? - like: "well look at that Officer, this was white when I left home, a bit of tar must have hit my plate
"
See you soon
Have you thought of a good reply yet just in the event you get stopped and asked?? - like: "well look at that Officer, this was white when I left home, a bit of tar must have hit my plate
See you soon
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue
Hi Karl ,
It's actually a genuine black number plate bolt
,
there is an identical bolt in the other side , as I like symmetry it's exactly opposite the one that just so happens to be in the middle of the O
Pure coincidence that the O looks like an 8 from a distance
Goes straight through the MOT test every year with no problems
Blow me if the rear plate bolts worked out to be in a similar position
,
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... O008-1.jpg
See you soon my friend ,
Nik
It's actually a genuine black number plate bolt
there is an identical bolt in the other side , as I like symmetry it's exactly opposite the one that just so happens to be in the middle of the O
Pure coincidence that the O looks like an 8 from a distance
Goes straight through the MOT test every year with no problems
Blow me if the rear plate bolts worked out to be in a similar position
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/ ... O008-1.jpg
See you soon my friend ,
Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO
Smoggy 1965,
I got mine off ebay, then had printed some small makers names & postcodes & also the British Standard no. I stuck these on to replicate the rear plate, just to make everything as legal as possible.
I have seen main dealers turn out plates in this way when ground clearance is an issue on cars such as an Elise etc.
Like Bleasie I carry a plate in the boot, but have never had an issue with the law or an MOT, I always make a point of asking when taking the car for a test " will that plate be OK this year?"
As Bleasie says, they are not legal!!! but the chances are we will get away with it , as long as we don't do anything else stupid!
Bob
I got mine off ebay, then had printed some small makers names & postcodes & also the British Standard no. I stuck these on to replicate the rear plate, just to make everything as legal as possible.
I have seen main dealers turn out plates in this way when ground clearance is an issue on cars such as an Elise etc.
Like Bleasie I carry a plate in the boot, but have never had an issue with the law or an MOT, I always make a point of asking when taking the car for a test " will that plate be OK this year?"
As Bleasie says, they are not legal!!! but the chances are we will get away with it , as long as we don't do anything else stupid!
Bob
-
smoggy1965
- Posts:31
- Joined:Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 pm
- Location:South Yorkshire
Thanks for all the Replies.
I bit the bullet and bought an adamesh plinth at Jaguar spares day and lowered the plate. All appeared well but unfortunately the speed bumps around here are huge and after many bumps I ended up worrying at every one I approached.
So now I have fitted an adhesive plate instead.
Now I'm looking for a badge to fit on the bonnet, as my old ones curve won't sit properly on the flatter serfice.
thanks
I bit the bullet and bought an adamesh plinth at Jaguar spares day and lowered the plate. All appeared well but unfortunately the speed bumps around here are huge and after many bumps I ended up worrying at every one I approached.
So now I have fitted an adhesive plate instead.
Now I'm looking for a badge to fit on the bonnet, as my old ones curve won't sit properly on the flatter serfice.
thanks
Smoggy1965
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]
-
smoggy1965
- Posts:31
- Joined:Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 pm
- Location:South Yorkshire
Dear HOT92 Thanks for tha,t I have now fitted the badge as you said. Now I have just got to find a plate that does not crease / lift after a few days on.
Smoggy1965
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]
Rotherham, England, UK
1999 XK8 Cabrio, Meteorite Silver
Clasic Oatmeal and Antalope Interior
Aftermarket ipod & Bluetooth Conversion
Back Box through pipes
HID conversion + LED sidelamps
Adamesh windbraker
Adhesive front numberplate
[img][/img]
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests