Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has replaced the bonded seal washers that connect the oil cooler pipes to the XJS 4L Auto Gear Box? They are no longer available from Jaguar or the usual after market providers. These pipes connect from the gear box to the main radiator at the right hand side.
The washers are steel with a rubber insert but I am not sure if they are metric or imperial. Metric outside diameter is 27mm and 18.5 internal or 1 1/16" external and 3/4" internal. The part number is EBC4895 (see attached Item 4). Bonded seals seem to be available on line but there are two types (self centering or not) and available in metric and imperial.
Any suggestions on a suitable replacement?
Regards
Mike
4L Auto oil cooler pipe washers
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: 4L Auto oil cooler pipe washers
Hi Mike, this is a case of a "standard engineering" part having a fancy purpose in an automotive situation. The most probable dimensions will be metric - engineering went metric a seriously long tine ago. As well as the outer and inner dimensions, critical dimension will be the thickness, so measure that and then talk to your local engineering hardware folks.
If you have the dimensions correct, what is the worst that could happen when you insert it into the circuit and torque the connection closed correctly? If you seat the washer correctly, then you will have an oil-tight joint and be good to go.
Jim M
If you have the dimensions correct, what is the worst that could happen when you insert it into the circuit and torque the connection closed correctly? If you seat the washer correctly, then you will have an oil-tight joint and be good to go.
Jim M
Jim Mann
Banchory
Banchory
-
mike.p.smith915

- Posts:22
- Joined:Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:57 am
Re: 4L Auto oil cooler pipe washers
Thank you Jim. I will see if I can track down a local supplier.
Kind regards
Mike
Kind regards
Mike
Re: 4L Auto oil cooler pipe washers
That looks like a dowty washer to me. You should be able to find one of those easily enough I would have thought.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
-
mike.p.smith915

- Posts:22
- Joined:Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:57 am
Re: 4L Auto oil cooler pipe washers
A quick update on progress with this item and the final outcome.
I took the washers to a local hydralic specialist who confirmed they are 1/2" BSP which I duly bought and took home. On closer inspection with a caliper the dimesions where slightly different so I started looking round on the Internet for other options.
Long story Short they are actually 18mm French Metric. These are readily available with a nitrile seal but have a maximum operating temprature of 110 degrees centrigrade which seemed a bit low so I opted for the Flouro Carbon version that is safe up to 225c just in case. These are not so easy to come by but both versions are available from the Airport Bearing Company (www.abco.co.uk 0115 975 7571) if you ever need them. The part numbers are as follows:
400-320-4490-41 Nitrile seal
400-320-9775-41 Flouro Carbon seal
Regards
Mike
I took the washers to a local hydralic specialist who confirmed they are 1/2" BSP which I duly bought and took home. On closer inspection with a caliper the dimesions where slightly different so I started looking round on the Internet for other options.
Long story Short they are actually 18mm French Metric. These are readily available with a nitrile seal but have a maximum operating temprature of 110 degrees centrigrade which seemed a bit low so I opted for the Flouro Carbon version that is safe up to 225c just in case. These are not so easy to come by but both versions are available from the Airport Bearing Company (www.abco.co.uk 0115 975 7571) if you ever need them. The part numbers are as follows:
400-320-4490-41 Nitrile seal
400-320-9775-41 Flouro Carbon seal
Regards
Mike
Re: 4L Auto oil cooler pipe washers
Mike,
Great info, thank you!
Paul
Great info, thank you!
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests
