Sepang Woes

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

snaefell

Member
Posts:106
Joined:Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:40 pm
Sepang Woes

Postby snaefell » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:04 pm

I have had my X350 for nearly 6 years now,it has 20 inch Sepangs fitted,a pain to clean but they look superb IMO,I just wonder if I am lucky enough to be the only one experiencing problems with them.
I had them refurbed pre Covid,on getting them back the guy who did the job told me I should have the titanium bolts replaced,to be fair they did look tatty & let the wheels down.
Fast forward to after lockdown & the guy has gone out of business,trying to replace the bolts myself I found that several had their heads stripped,two had their heads broken off,eventually after a long search in March I found someone willing to take on a full refurb,all seemed well until the weekend when returning from a show the steering felt strange & I pulled over to find 6 bolts had come out of the RHF,the company that did the refurb have taken the wheel away to examine it,anybody else had any such problems with these wheels guys?

snaefell

Member
Posts:106
Joined:Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: Sepang Woes

Postby snaefell » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:06 pm

OK as you can probably guess the title should read SEPANG WOES,just love spellcheck!

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Sepang Woes

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:32 pm

Sorted.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

steve_m
Posts:1441
Joined:Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:46 am
Location:Wiltshire

Re: Sepang Woes

Postby steve_m » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:55 pm

I liked it the other way!

If the bolts have come out they were either too loose in the first place or the threads have been stripped in the hub, I would guess.

snaefell

Member
Posts:106
Joined:Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: Sepang Woes

Postby snaefell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:31 pm

Thanks for the responses guys,back on the road again with two bits of advice from the guys at the wheel refur b place,1 ditch the split rims or 2 get a torque wrench & check the bolts regularly,I have gone with the latter,can anybody advise what the torque settings should be for these bolts please guys?
Considering the other option I did consider replacing the Sepangs with Calistos,I like them & they should be easier to clean but finding four being sold individually by the same buyer on eBay the other day I noticed that all four were described as having been welded more than once,sounded a bit strange to me,anybody else had problems with those wheels or am I just lucky?😆😆

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Sepang Woes

Postby ptjs1 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:38 pm

snaefell,

I don't know specifically about the Sepangs. However they are made by BBS. Other BBS split rims seem to have various torque settings between 19 and 24 ft lbs for the rim screws. They are also mention that the bolts should be considered as single use. Perhaps a call to BBS might give you the specific answer?

Cheers

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests