2007 S Type Turbo Diesel timing chain renewal

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

Blueborin
Posts:31
Joined:Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm
2007 S Type Turbo Diesel timing chain renewal

Postby Blueborin » Fri May 07, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi,
Can anyone please confirm if the cam belt / timing chain on this model is metal? (I read differing reports).
I'm aware that the general recommendation is that its changed if the vehicle is over 10yrs or has covered 100,000 miles. I only ask as my car has only done 29k miles from new and am undecided on whether it should be replaced due to the very low mileage? If its metal I wonder if its necessary.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Blueborin

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: 2007 S Type Turbo Diesel timing chain renewal

Postby jeff1954 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:51 pm

I'ts a timing belt not a chain. Belts are made from rubber and chains from steel. I would change the belt at 90k or 10 years which ever comes first.
Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

Blueborin
Posts:31
Joined:Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: 2007 S Type Turbo Diesel timing chain renewal

Postby Blueborin » Fri May 07, 2021 8:57 pm

Thanks Jeff, I was under the impression it was made from steel not rubber. I'll make arrangements to get it replaced.
Robin

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: 2007 S Type Turbo Diesel timing chain renewal

Postby jeff1954 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 pm

Your welcome Robin. The belts are quite robust and I have read that after a 100k change there was only slight damage to it ,but I would err on the side of caution and do as I said at 90k. There is another smaller belt at the back of the engine that drives the fuel pump but it's not as critical as the cam belt as it's not under the same stress and if it was to break it would not do any damage to the engine. So you could let that one go to the limit. If you haven't had your drive / serpentine belt changed recently I would do that as well just for piece of mind.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

rosemary

Member
Posts:418
Joined:Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Location:Stokenchurch

Re: 2007 S Type Turbo Diesel timing chain renewal

Postby rosemary » Sun May 09, 2021 8:07 pm

Ditto the previous replies but in addition I would advise a Water pump and Idler Pulley change as well at the same time. These are known failure items and the same dismantling is needed to the change these as it takes to change the cam belt.
Dave
Dave Hart
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests