Heads up for prospective purchasers.
So looking forward to enjoying my 1999 XKR, bought without seeing.....(Yes I know,).. from "reputable dealer" following numerous calls and questions, described as "probably finest on offer" and "prepared to the highest standards" etc , now know bought in haste, after inspection check with JCat, Norwich the car was found to have chassis and brake pipe corrosion issues.
The car was sold with new MOT, but found to have issues regarding chassis rust, which was described as "surface rust" on the MOT.and corroded brake pipes which were advisory on MOT 2 years previous, but omitted on following 2 years, and described as dangerous by JCat.
I had Incorrectly assumed that the brake pipes had been rectified, but not so ....assume nothing!
Call to seller demanding return of money which was forthcoming and car collected.
The car was a low 63000mileage and excellent body and interior.
But as my Grandmother used to say, "All blouse did no knickers"
I know many readers of this post will be shaking their heads at my naïveté (described as lack of experience ,wisdom or judgement) and I accept the observations.
Let this be a lesson to me and any other prospective purchasers.
Nigel.
1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
You are not the first and won't be the last, so don't fret too much.
If you are posting this as a warning then it would be helpful to put the car registration in so that the rest of us can avoid it and also mention the 'reputable dealer' so that we can avoid them too.
If you are posting this as a warning then it would be helpful to put the car registration in so that the rest of us can avoid it and also mention the 'reputable dealer' so that we can avoid them too.
-
nigeldawson1182

- Posts:8
- Joined:Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 pm
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
Thanks for reply Steve,
Vechile Reg T212 GKO.
Dealer is based in Nottinghamshire, but leave it at that for the mean time.
Nigel
Vechile Reg T212 GKO.
Dealer is based in Nottinghamshire, but leave it at that for the mean time.
Nigel
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience but I guess car that is over 20 years old is going to have some issues. Dont get too dispirited. Are you still looking?
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
I have been using this for the last 3 months; well worth a look.
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
-
nigeldawson1182

- Posts:8
- Joined:Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 pm
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
Thanks for reply Davidr 
Yes still keen though licking my wounds at present.
Nigel

Yes still keen though licking my wounds at present.
Nigel
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
JAG.
Join A Group.
Join A Group.
- 3.8etypephil

- Posts:238
- Joined:Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm
- Location:Watton & Budapest.
- Contact:
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
A good move with any enthusiast marque.JAG.
Join A Group.
Worth bearing in mind though is that despite Jaguar's troublesome reputation, they have better long term survival rates than MB, Audi, BMW, Lexus etc. Jaguars of 20 + years and 200,000 + miles are still in frequent daily use, I can't think of any other marque where that is the case.
Phil
2013 XFR
2008 XJR
2013 XFR
2008 XJR
- raysearles

- Posts:397
- Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
It is always worth checking with the Forum model co-ordinator of the club or the technical expert about well known problems with any vehicle.
XKR's of this vintage are a great purchase but you need to check them out, if you cannot view the vehicle yourself then ask a member nearby or contact the club office to find an expert who can view or value the car for you, you might spend money but you avoid trouble.
The club is here to help with just these sought of issues..
Ray
XKR's of this vintage are a great purchase but you need to check them out, if you cannot view the vehicle yourself then ask a member nearby or contact the club office to find an expert who can view or value the car for you, you might spend money but you avoid trouble.
The club is here to help with just these sought of issues..
Ray
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
Hi NIgel; I just bought one with 100,000 miles on, and unless you pay for a marque expert to go and look underneath the vehicle, you are always taking a bit of a risk. I think your chosen beastie will go up in value over the next few years, so bear with it, and enjoy this summer for all it's worth if we are allowed out by the nannie state again??
-
c.neil59458
- Posts:35
- Joined:Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:49 pm
- Location:Doncaster
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
If you are still looking there are always cars on the website and in the montlhy magazine but still check them out carefully.
I bought an X150 last November describy the seller, (not the last owner) as, faultless, JEC owner, "you won't find another as good as this". I have not had major major issues but a couple of issues that required a fair amount of "fettling".
By coincindence, I had previously met the owner of the car at Inchcape Jaguar Derby while it was being serviced. This was before I bought it and had a good chat with him again last week. I will be popping down to see him over the next few weeks as he has very kindly said he has some goodies that go with the car and I can have them.
Chris
I bought an X150 last November describy the seller, (not the last owner) as, faultless, JEC owner, "you won't find another as good as this". I have not had major major issues but a couple of issues that required a fair amount of "fettling".
By coincindence, I had previously met the owner of the car at Inchcape Jaguar Derby while it was being serviced. This was before I bought it and had a good chat with him again last week. I will be popping down to see him over the next few weeks as he has very kindly said he has some goodies that go with the car and I can have them.
Chris
X Type x3 (Sold)
XE R Sport (Sold)
X150 Convertible manufactured 18/10/2005 B00084 (Sold)
X150 Convertible FN58 DXY
XE R Sport (Sold)
X150 Convertible manufactured 18/10/2005 B00084 (Sold)
X150 Convertible FN58 DXY
-
teknimart409

- Posts:17
- Joined:Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:44 pm
Re: 1999 XKR Purchase ....what a mistake
Trust a car saleman??
Any car over 10 years old particularly a complex high end car needs scrutiny. Buy a reader and crawl over the car before you commit
Lessons can be very expensive.
Any car over 10 years old particularly a complex high end car needs scrutiny. Buy a reader and crawl over the car before you commit
Lessons can be very expensive.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
