Electric boot release failure

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

User avatar
XJ_Driver

Member
Posts:153
Joined:Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Location:Herefordshire
Electric boot release failure

Postby XJ_Driver » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:43 pm

My '98 X308 has suffered a sudden failure of the electric boot lid release (fortunately discovered this upon arrival at the supermarket, and not when I got home with a boot full of shopping afterwards!).

I cannot hear the solenoid working, and I've tried the button on the boot lid itself, release button on the dashboard and the button on the key fob too. My first thought was a blown fuse? But if I'm right, the fuse for the boot release is actually located inside the boot? :roll: I've tried inserting the black ignition key into the escutcheon / aperture in the boot lid, but it will only turn as far as the 'two o' clock' position and no further (adding WD40 and allowing it to soak in overnight has not improved this). So, I'm now running out of ideas...

I've heard that the lock mech can be accessed by removing the rear number plate and drilling a hole through the boot lid. Sounds drastic, but I imagine that's my next step. Can anyone please advise whereabouts I shall need to drill - and what size hole?

Many thanks.
Last edited by XJ_Driver on Sun May 03, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
John.

2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate

cafcpete

Member
Posts:150
Joined:Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:37 pm
Location:S.E London

Re: Electric boot release failure

Postby cafcpete » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Try pushing down on the boot whilst turning the key. This sometimes works. If not then try looking here.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x ... en-226462/
1996 Jaguar XJR6(auto)
2002 Jaguar X350 4.2(auto)

User avatar
XJ_Driver

Member
Posts:153
Joined:Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Location:Herefordshire

Re: Electric boot release failure

Postby XJ_Driver » Sun May 03, 2020 7:35 pm

Thanks for the advice, cafcpete - and that link to the jaguarforums.com website.

So, to bring this story up to date, I tried pressing down on the boot lid whilst working the key in the lock - but all I succeeded in doing was bending the key... Having run out of options, I was finally faced with drilling the boot lid behind the number plate. The procedure I followed is explained here: https://jaguarvp.blogspot.com/2013/04/x ... ccess.html In fact that part was remarkably easy. All I would suggest with hindsight is drilling the hole an inch or so higher - I had to reach up at quite a steep angle for my screwdriver blade to find the latch.

Removed the solenoid / actuator and tested it: nothing. So, I ordered a s/h solenoid off ebay; waited a week or so for it to arrive; fitted it, and - with bated breath - pressed the boot release button. Nothing! Tried the key fob button, and the button on the dash. Still nothing! Made a visual inspection of the wiring loom where it fits around the RH boot hinge, but that all looked fine as far as I could tell.

At this point I booked the car in with my local auto electrician. Picked it up again on Saturday, with the boot release working once more! Apparently there had been two wiring faults: one at the boot hinge and another at the alarm module. I'm now a hundred quid + VAT worse off, but at least I can access the boot again. And - for the first time ever - I now have working courtesy lights in the luggage compartment!
Best regards,
John.

2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate

cafcpete

Member
Posts:150
Joined:Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:37 pm
Location:S.E London

Re: Electric boot release failure

Postby cafcpete » Mon May 04, 2020 9:35 am

Excellent result, now just make sure that the key works the lock and use it at least once a month lol
Might want to use on in door lock as well occasionally for the same reason!
1996 Jaguar XJR6(auto)
2002 Jaguar X350 4.2(auto)

User avatar
Andy P

Member
Posts:960
Joined:Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 am
Location:Plymouth,Devon,U.K. J.E.C.Member

Re: Electric boot release failure

Postby Andy P » Mon May 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi John.
Glad you got it sorted and all back to normal.
Well done.
Take care.
Andy. :)
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests