Coolant leak from bleed screw

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

jookul100431

Member
Posts:70
Joined:Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm
Coolant leak from bleed screw

Postby jookul100431 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi Guys

Just a quick question. I have water leaking from the bleed screw of my 2.7 diesel sovergin. I'm just wondering does the bleed screw also act a overflow if the expansion bottle is overfilled or should it always be water tight also I noticed that it does not have a rubber washer and I'm not sure was it supposed to have one or not.

Can you get replacement bleed screws or is it a full bottle.

Just to give u the back ground. I am chasing down a water later and noticed yesterday that there was water around the bleed screw. I topped up the bottle and closed everything up and did not drive the car. This morning while checking the oil level I noticed a lot of water around the bottle and again u could see if was coming from the bleed screw I took out the screw and that when I noticed the level of water was quite high on that side so I thought I may have overfilled the tank and then when I noticed no washer. I presume it should not leak like that.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Coolant leak from bleed screw

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:50 pm

It should not leak at all. I regret I cannot get access to my own car to check if the screw has a washer fitted. Suggest you try to find a suitable o-ring and see if that stops the problem.

I suspect that Jaguar will only sell a new bleed screw with a complete new header tank. Eurojag might have a used spare on their shelves. Also check that the leak is not coming from the near by stub pipe on the tank. This is a well known fail point on cars that have covered about 75k miles. If cracked, then a new tank is the only way to go.

That reminds me. I must buy another new spare tank to put on my garage shelf. These X350/X358 parts are becoming rather difficult to source now that the car has been out of production since 2009.

Hope that helps.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jookul100431

Member
Posts:70
Joined:Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Coolant leak from bleed screw

Postby jookul100431 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Thanks Mike for the reply.

I think/ hope I have it sorted....when I took out screw it looked liked it didn't have a old o ring or washer attached it all looked like it was just one piece of plastic...and I was totally convinced there was no o ring.....on real close inspection a few times I eventually discovered that yes there actually is a o ring/ washer mine was so deformed that it just took the shape of the taper of the expansion bottle so looked like it was all one peice. After going to a couple of Auto factors I got some o rings but they were not the right size. I then went to a hydraulic hose company how looked through thier standard stock and against n could not find the right size....the internal diameter of the original is a little non standard....but they did find an hydraulic o ring that fitted...I would have preferred it to be a little thicker than what it is but the internal diameter is good. I have fitted it and tooled the car on a 10 mile test drive and so far now leak I'll check when fully cold but at the mo it seems to be good.

I did measure the internal diameter of the original and it seems to be 11mm....not a standard kit size I believe... So to sum up

Yes mine had a washer albeit very squashed found a replacement but not 100% perfect fit but really really really close. Seems to be non standard kit size o ring

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Coolant leak from bleed screw

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:18 pm

As long as the leak has gone, you are likely to have fixed the issue. That is all that is required.

It might be worth buying one or two spare rings just in case the leak happens again. Probably best to keep in the car in case the leak occurs again when you are traveling.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jookul100431

Member
Posts:70
Joined:Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Coolant leak from bleed screw

Postby jookul100431 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:01 pm

Thanks Mike good point on leaving in the car

jookul100431

Member
Posts:70
Joined:Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Coolant leak from bleed screw

Postby jookul100431 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 pm

Bleed screw all fixed.... :wink: but the thing is still leaking.,.so far 4 leaks have been found since I bought the car in July 19...two hoses 1 water pump and bleed screw....damn thing is like a sieve.... hopefully it's a simple fix


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests