Tris,
The dirty ATF will have about 18% of the original fluid diluted in it. However, it does seem quite dirty, although it's difficult to see in the opaque containers. Could you pour some dirty and clean fluids into clear glasses so we can see the difference?
Paul
Harsh Gear Changes
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Harsh Gear Changes
I will do that for you when I do the next change.
1995 4.0 Celebration Coupe in Sapphire
Re: Harsh Gear Changes
Ok, here's the result of change 7...Tris,
The dirty ATF will have about 18% of the original fluid diluted in it. However, it does seem quite dirty, although it's difficult to see in the opaque containers. Could you pour some dirty and clean fluids into clear glasses so we can see the difference?
Paul
1995 4.0 Celebration Coupe in Sapphire
Re: Harsh Gear Changes
Tris,
Now it's in the clear glasses, I don't think that looks that bad. It only takes a small amount of dirty oil to change the colour of clean oil.
Just a suggestion, but I'd be tempted to now change the filter. I did mine after 4 changes of old oil. Also, although you'll want to change the gasket, you might want to consider thoroughly cleaning the old filter rather than changing it. "Pop Rivet" cut an old filter apart and it seems it's just an enclosed wire mesh. After I changed mine, I decided to repeatedly flush my old one with petrol until it ran clean and I'll probably refit it when I next change mine. In fact, even Jaguar refer to it as an "Oil Screen".
If you do buy a new filter be very careful! I believe that the part number quoted by Jaguar on the website and their system is wrong! It has a longer pickup pipe which will not fit the XJS 4.0 sump. They say the part number is JLM 2128 which was fitted to x300 saloons. BUT I believe the right number should be JLM 664 which has the correct shorter pickup pipe and was also fitted to 3.6 XJS. I advised them of the problem 9 years ago, but they don't seem to have changed their system. See this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8418
Cheers
Paul
Now it's in the clear glasses, I don't think that looks that bad. It only takes a small amount of dirty oil to change the colour of clean oil.
Just a suggestion, but I'd be tempted to now change the filter. I did mine after 4 changes of old oil. Also, although you'll want to change the gasket, you might want to consider thoroughly cleaning the old filter rather than changing it. "Pop Rivet" cut an old filter apart and it seems it's just an enclosed wire mesh. After I changed mine, I decided to repeatedly flush my old one with petrol until it ran clean and I'll probably refit it when I next change mine. In fact, even Jaguar refer to it as an "Oil Screen".
If you do buy a new filter be very careful! I believe that the part number quoted by Jaguar on the website and their system is wrong! It has a longer pickup pipe which will not fit the XJS 4.0 sump. They say the part number is JLM 2128 which was fitted to x300 saloons. BUT I believe the right number should be JLM 664 which has the correct shorter pickup pipe and was also fitted to 3.6 XJS. I advised them of the problem 9 years ago, but they don't seem to have changed their system. See this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8418
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Harsh Gear Changes
I'm doing a filter and fluid change on my AJ16 XJS this weekend. I'm going to be the long term optimist so intend getting 10L of Dexron 3. In truth I'm a little confused when I look at all the derivatives out there. Question therefore is it safe/okay to go with a can that just states, conforms to Dexron 3 or one that has lots of other numbers and marks after the title?
To put this in context (and I'm not really that old) growing up it was a straight 30 or 50, then 20/50 and I now understand there are something approaching 100 different grades. Amazing.
Nick
To put this in context (and I'm not really that old) growing up it was a straight 30 or 50, then 20/50 and I now understand there are something approaching 100 different grades. Amazing.
Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
