Can anyone tell me where the fuel pump is on a 1995 Celebration Convertible 4.0L ?
And any tips on removal and replacement please.
Thanks
Fuel Pump
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: Fuel Pump
It is immersed in the tank. Never changed one on a late XJS myself although I have changed both the in-tank ones on my XKR and the external one on my V12 XJ-S.
I suspect that you will have to take the tank out to get to it and that changing the pump will be the easy bit - getting the tank out and back in will be the pita!
I suspect that you will have to take the tank out to get to it and that changing the pump will be the easy bit - getting the tank out and back in will be the pita!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Fuel Pump
Michael
The workshop manual gives a detailed description of replacement- well worth getting a copy if you are going to work on the car yourself. They are available via various on line sources - one copied below at random.
https://manuals.co/workshop/jaguar/xjs
Good luck.
Robbie
The workshop manual gives a detailed description of replacement- well worth getting a copy if you are going to work on the car yourself. They are available via various on line sources - one copied below at random.
https://manuals.co/workshop/jaguar/xjs
Good luck.
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Fuel Pump
Well I did download a manual but it has 4600 pages and no index so I still don’t know where my fuel pump is located or how to change it.
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Re: Fuel Pump
Page 19.1-14 operation 19.45.08
R
R
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Fuel Pump
Hi MichaelSB,
This thread might be of interest to you
:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs- ... ma-205197/
Good Luck.
Andy
This thread might be of interest to you
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs- ... ma-205197/
Good Luck.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Re: Fuel Pump
Hi Guys
My manual section 19 doesn’t seem to conver the Convertible only coupe and cabriolet, the article was a very interesting read but I think I need to find a better manual.
My manual section 19 doesn’t seem to conver the Convertible only coupe and cabriolet, the article was a very interesting read but I think I need to find a better manual.
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Re: Fuel Pump
I replaced mine a while back as car was just stopping - turned out to be the new mass air flow meter I had bought but that is another story!
I remember I had to drain the tank and disconnect the fuel lines from underneath so I could move the tank into the boot to access the pump cover on the top. For some reason I could not remove the tank completely - something was attached but I could not find it and the manual did not help, however I was able to move it enough to replace the pump. Hope this helps?
I remember I had to drain the tank and disconnect the fuel lines from underneath so I could move the tank into the boot to access the pump cover on the top. For some reason I could not remove the tank completely - something was attached but I could not find it and the manual did not help, however I was able to move it enough to replace the pump. Hope this helps?
Re: Fuel Pump
I have just got back from spares day as I was hoping to find a workshop manual supplement to cover my AJ16 powered Celebration Convertible, I have some kind of fuel issue and although I am considering replacing the fuel pump it looks like a pig of a job on my model so I want to explore other possible issues first.
Unfortunately without the guidance of a manual for my car I am fishing in the dark, I was repeatedly told at spares day there isn’t a AJ16 manual .
Unfortunately without the guidance of a manual for my car I am fishing in the dark, I was repeatedly told at spares day there isn’t a AJ16 manual .
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Re: Fuel Pump
What are your symptoms then?I have some kind of fuel issue
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Fuel Pump
Hi Robbie
The car randomly starts to hesitate when cruising as if it is starved of fuel, the revs don’t drop and she keeps running
Michael
The car randomly starts to hesitate when cruising as if it is starved of fuel, the revs don’t drop and she keeps running
Michael
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Re: Fuel Pump
Michael - have you changed the fuel filter? If not I would try that first before diving in to the fuel pump.
Filter is fairly easy to change and cheap! It's under the front passenger wheel arch. Here's a link to my Winter Maintenance article from last December where I changed mine.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12439&sid=ecd681dd ... d3dc797f7e
Filter is fairly easy to change and cheap! It's under the front passenger wheel arch. Here's a link to my Winter Maintenance article from last December where I changed mine.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12439&sid=ecd681dd ... d3dc797f7e
Re: Fuel Pump
Hi David
Yes I have replaced the fuel filter and like you suggest I will only do the pump as a last resort as it looks a pig of a job.
I am thinking of replacing simpler items such as fuel pressure regulator and any other fuel related items I can find to see if I get lucky
Michael
Yes I have replaced the fuel filter and like you suggest I will only do the pump as a last resort as it looks a pig of a job.
I am thinking of replacing simpler items such as fuel pressure regulator and any other fuel related items I can find to see if I get lucky
Michael
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Re: Fuel Pump
Are you sure it's fuel related? Have you tested the fuel pressure?
From what you describe it might possibly be the crank position sensor on the way out? Their usual failure is fairly abrupt but sometimes they give you a warning.
From what you describe it might possibly be the crank position sensor on the way out? Their usual failure is fairly abrupt but sometimes they give you a warning.
Re: Fuel Pump
Hi David
I should have mentioned earlier this year I replaced the crank position sensor and all the could packs and plugs
Michael
I should have mentioned earlier this year I replaced the crank position sensor and all the could packs and plugs
Michael
Michael
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

