Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

ChrisDixon
Posts:330
Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
Location:Kent
Re: Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Postby ChrisDixon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi Barry the logic behind my thinking about an X350 is as follows. I have 3 jags none of which are really suitable for everyday use. Although the PO of my oldest ('66 S Type) did just that for 10+ years. Two of the three are in X350 territory value wise. So why not sell one, or two even, plus my BMW and chug around in an XJR. I don't do a lot of miles and have a "winter" vehicle as well. I love getting value for money so a £4K XJR with a good history and a few blemishes appeals. As does a 2005 Merc SL500!

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Re: Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Postby robv12 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:38 am

Chris, 350 as an everyday makes huge sense, my 08 2.7 is now at 207K, and my 3.0 V6 at 152K, and as most will know I have used 350/8's as an everyday car now for well over 10 years, I've lost count of the number and the miles I have covered

Early cars now, IF you find a good one give great value for money, £1500 will get you into one, £2k will get you a decent one, and £3K will get you a belter with good history etc etc, my 54 plate 3.0 is currently for sale at sub £3K, and an XJR , well there are a few about at sub £4K, what a bargain

Corrosion is an issue IF left, however with all of mine I have attended to it before it gets too bad, its has never come back either

Early cars suffered badly on the boot lids, A and D pillars, lots were rectified under warranty

As time goes by, door corners suffer, as do bonnets over the headlights and wheel arch lips especially the front, my 2008 Sov will need attention soon, but at 207K, a good innings I reckon

If buying check all these areas carefully , some I've seen the repairs are mediocre at best, I would rather buy a "raw" car and see what needs attention, then progress with rectification to my known standards

just my thoughts, hope that helps

Rob
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK

greyhair

Member
Posts:16
Joined:Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Postby greyhair » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Rob is right that a X350 or X358 makes a great everyday car Mine is eleven years old this year and I have owned it for nearly 10 years, It has always lived outside( well i put in the garage once when we were on holiday in the bosses car.) I had a small amount of corrosion treated under warranty on the boot edge ( which was noticed by the servicing garage) and last year i had small area treated on the drivers side on the pillar next to the windscreen at my own expense.( cost £180.) Main expenditure has been on regular servicing and prompt action on any advisories given. Much as I look around at newer cars i do not want to change because it is such a good car to drive, If you look carefully there are some great value vehicles out there.

User avatar
cybercontroller

Member
Posts:52
Joined:Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Re: Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Postby cybercontroller » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Mine is a 2044 4.2 and has certain bodywork issues but I am looking to get them solved bit by bit. It is one of my daily drivers as I have a commute of around 20 miles each way.
At 132,500 miles I have put on around 4000 since I bought it and a few other issuers along the way.
But, it is so comfortable and I do not worry about fatigue after a longer journey. The boot is huge and the spec is pretty much as I would have ordered given the choice.

It does come down to how much you are paying. If you are going to pay close to five figures you are going to want a low mileage pristine example, but if you have a more limited budget like many of us, then there will be areas needing attention.
research the cars you are looking at and use the excellent Buyers Guide so you can spot the cars to walk away from.
Jaguar XJ8 4.2 MY2004

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Postby J44EAG » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:10 pm

These cars really do stand the test of time and mileage remarkably well......I promise you will be hard pushed to find a newer replacement that is so well built and as long lifed as an X350/358.

I`ve found this car reasonably easy to work on with my only cusses being the steel sub-frame finish, the seriously poor quality under-body steel nuts, screws washers and spring clips. Removal of the original from wheel bearing cartridges require a press to break the corrosion between the mixed metal parts. Duralac applied between mixed metals will stop similar corrosion of a new bearing cartridge and the vertical leg at a later date. Upper front rear register wishbone bolts are a pain to remove and replace, electric mirror power fold and parking sensors are unreliable and air suspension compressors need an 80k ring replacement. Sourcing new air suspension springs is becoming difficult even from Bilstein. They are also about a thousand pounds a piece. Recon units are available from air dominance in Cheam at a third of the price. Wiper mechanisms are currently no longer available.

Those I suppose are my biggest gripes but no other make of car would probably be any better. All that said, the X350R is my best car yet. I can live with the issues because no other car on this Earth does everything so well as an XJR. (Clarkeson) In that respect I totally agree. No change of car ahead foreseen for me. You badly notice the difference if you climb into a Focus after the Jag. We have one here and it drives me spare when I have to use it! What an appalling experience. Anyway that thing is due for PX next week when we have a Pope Mobile being delivered to cart my disabled Father around in. Diesel, auto, cruise, PAS, power winch, ramp...2014 plate with 22k miles covered. It can`t possibly be worse than the gutless rough riding Ford.

Bravo Jaguar. They got the 350and 358 right.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

barrywi

Member
Posts:263
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Postby barrywi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Just had a JaguarXE 2.5T for three days while having my cam belt and service done in Jaguar main dealers. I think it was petrol but the engine was noisier than my diesel. It was very fast but nowhere near as substantial in feel when the doors were shut and the ride and quietness were far worse.
You were right Mike( no change there then!) about there being two belts at the front of the diesel, the cam beltand the serpentine belt to drive all the ancilliaries. The serpentine belt should last 150000 miles ,they said ,and after inspection it was not changed. Sorry this comment relates to another thread.
Fabulous car no doubt.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Postby J44EAG » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:29 pm

The belt should last 150k miles.....mnnnn, but will it do so? It might, it might not!

A mechanic would give that assurance. An engineer would be more circumspect and be less certain of committing himself and reputation to such a wide sweeping statement.

Definition of an engineer. An engineer knows more than it is necessary to know for the class of work in which he is involved. An experienced and methodical engineer knows the need for preventative maintenance. He will avoid taking un-necessary risks, fit a new belt, invoice his customer and be able to sleep at night in the knowledge he has done his professional best for his customer. He will avoid come-backs and bad press like The Plague.

The schedule states that belts should be inspected and changed if found suspect at I recall 30k mileage service intervals. The belts I`ve inspected at 80-90k mileages have all shown marked cracking across the belt width when the belt has been removed and bent back on itself. Just looking at a belt in situe on a car is insufficient inspection. Only when the belt is bent back, do the cracks (millions of them down the entire belt length) become apparent. From there on in, it is a count down to failure. The older a belt is or the higher the mileage, the more likely it is to fail. A Dayco replacement belt is only twenty quid. Why take the risk of a broken belt which given failure and going un-noticed for a minute or more, will risk the cooling of the engine and may lead to seizure of the entire motor. New belt £20, new engine £8,000. Cost differential, £7980!

Did they bend your belt back on itself, Barry?

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

barrywi

Member
Posts:263
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Buying an X350 wth paint blisters - Fixable or Show Stopper?

Postby barrywi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm

The car has done 39000 miles ,the cam belt has been changed. The other belt powers the alternator, power steering and air con so if it did break it does not ruin the engine. As it was done at a main dealer I trust their judgement and the work is warranted. I can get it changed at the next service .


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests