Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
franrca

Member
Posts:243
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm
Location:Assuming the position...in North Essex
Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby franrca » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm

Just replaced my 2 boot gas struts and it's amazing how such a small part renewal can make such a difference...no more hit head when looking in the boot :D

So, turning my attention to the bonnet which is also very 'tired' as far as the struts are concerned. Couple of questions:

1. Should they only be replaced in pairs? I ask, as otherwise presumaby there's different stresses on the bonnet as it's raised an lowered...could this damage / twist the bonnet over time etc? I'm aware that one of these is the locking one.

2. The required part - I see that the non-locking one is listed on the Jaguar Classic Parts site as BEC13515 for my car (VIN 222066) for post 179736 cars, but I also see that part BD48027 is listed in different places on the site as a) pre 179736 but then b) all XJS (at [url]https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/BD48027[url] ) and given it's half the price, I'm keen to know if this will suffice. That part is then half the price again on XJK's site at [url]http://www.xjkltd.co.uk/jaguar-xjs-bonn ... 48027/[url] and again listed as suitable for all XJS.

I know it's a bit of a niche question, but has anyone needed to get one of these?
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby davidr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Definitely go for the self locking type. The cheaper one will fail sooner or later and then it won't look so cheap!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

User avatar
franrca

Member
Posts:243
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm
Location:Assuming the position...in North Essex

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby franrca » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Currently on my car I only have 1 self locking one - should they both be David?
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby davidr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:10 pm

Why do you want to renew them? If you have a self locking one then you aren't going to get the bonnet round your ear when you're leaning over the engine and that's why people usually upgrade older cars. The older non-locking ones will lose their strength and not hold the bonnet open which is why the upgrade is a good idea.
Original fitment on late cars was one locking one (left side) and a plain one the other side.

User avatar
franrca

Member
Posts:243
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm
Location:Assuming the position...in North Essex

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby franrca » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:42 pm

TBH, it was just to renew them as when I unlock the 'lockable' one when closing the bonnet it drops very quickly (if I allow it to) and I had a thought that if I bought new ones it would be a more cushioned drop - I suspect you are suggesting I leave it alone? :)
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby davidr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:07 pm

Eeerrm yes. I suspect it isn't bust so no need to fix it :D
If you're concerned about twisting the bonnet then try to avoid pulling it up or supporting it on one corner only - do it from as near the middle as you can reach.

User avatar
franrca

Member
Posts:243
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm
Location:Assuming the position...in North Essex

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby franrca » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:46 am

Yes that's fine - I always do that...just keeping the car as new-ish as I can as I move along, so no panic with this particular part, just appeared to be easy to replace if I could confirm the correct part and the existing ones are definitely not taking the strain any more, albeit the bonnet does stay open.
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby Tintin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:33 pm

You might want to review this thread before finalising your decision.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10484

I am still pleased with the result on my '96 Celebration and the (non-locking) struts haven't let me (or the bonnet) down yet!

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

User avatar
franrca

Member
Posts:243
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm
Location:Assuming the position...in North Essex

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby franrca » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks Robbie, but looking at that thread, I can't get past the colour of your car - I think it's Jade Green...I have always liked that colour (er, after topaz of course), and it looks great - also impressed with your garage which looks far more workmanlike than mine - does the ladder take you to Narnia?

Anyway, that looks really good and is a great improvement - do you by any chance still have any details of the part from SGS as it's a bespoke one?
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby poprivet » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:19 pm

When money was too tight to afford new gas struts I found that a cut-down broom handle worked perfectly :D

In pursuit of maintaining originality I have since taken out a 2nd mortgage and bought a pair of new struts :roll:

User avatar
franrca

Member
Posts:243
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm
Location:Assuming the position...in North Essex

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby franrca » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Yep Pop - I was using one of those really long ancient wooden rulers to prop up the boot (1930s?) before I replaced the struts - there's always a workaround :D .
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

User avatar
Tintin

Member
Posts:561
Joined:Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby Tintin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Thanks Robbie, but looking at that thread, I can't get past the colour of your car - I think it's Jade Green...I have always liked that colour (er, after topaz of course), and it looks great - also impressed with your garage which looks far more workmanlike than mine
Now you're making me blush!

I would say it is essential for you to measure and check your own distances and clearances etc - and best to have a word with SGS - they're v helpful. Having said that, I ordered a pair of gas struts to the following performance specification:-

Socket ends for 10mm ball fixings
8mm piston rod
18mm cylinder
330 closed length to c/c socket ends
580 open length to c/c socket ends
210 Newtons force

Hope that helps, Richard.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

User avatar
franrca

Member
Posts:243
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 pm
Location:Assuming the position...in North Essex

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay

Postby franrca » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks very much Robbie - that's really helpful.
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

Jaguar5993

Member
Posts:134
Joined:Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm
Location:Petersfield

Re: Bonnet Gas Strut Stay (Facelift)

Postby Jaguar5993 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Hello Robbie and others,
Its been a while since your original post on this subject.
I hope you are all well.

I to, would like to do this bonnet gas strut mod for my 1995 6.0 Coupe.
I have been in contact with SGS and there was a little bit of confusion and I guess all those that you dealt with at SGS might of left by now, as it was 2016....where does the time go!
Just checking the info...

Socket ends for 10mm ball fixings
8mm piston rod
18mm cylinder
330 closed length to c/c socket ends
580 open length to c/c socket ends
210 Newtons.

They seem to want to know the cylinder length.
Is it 268mm standard (1992-96 facelift) or a bigger length?
Any problems with yours over the years?
Many thanks,
Nick W.
1995 XJS 6.0 V12 Coupe


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests