XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire
XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby dhdove » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:34 pm

Dear All

It's very early days I know but thought I'd let you know that for the first time the XJS race series is visiting Castle Coombe in Gloucestershire this year, also it will be the last race of the series.

This is our local track and is well worth a visit.

See here

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/sto ... icleID=160

For those who found Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire a bit out of the way perhaps those Forum members in the south/south-west of the country will find this a bit more convenient. (less than ten miles from both Junction 17 and 18 on the M4).

Maybe we could attend as a Forum group?

Libby and I will still be going to Cadwell I think - tho' the date has moved. It's now earlier in the year 10/11th May.

Perhaps there are other meets that members want to attend?

XJS race series is great fun and a bit of a spectacle, as enthusiasts I think we should try and support it. Lets see if we can get to more races in 2008 :D

Best Wishes

DH Dove

XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby poprivet » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:31 pm

I've fancied Castle Coombe for a while, will put it in the diary as a maybe.

JEC mag shows the Cadwell Park meeting on Sept 6-7?

How many of the XJS racers are regular members here, apart from Ralph? I know they would appreciate out support.
Pop


User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby dhdove » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:38 pm

Pop

I took the date from the jagracing website, but I know from past experience that this early in the season these dates tend to be "a bit fluid"

Hope you can make it - whenever it is! :D

DH Dove

XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

aarondrs
Posts:19
Joined:Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:02 am
Location:Birmingham

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby aarondrs » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:56 pm

Sounds like a fun day out. I have pencilled into Outlook so pleased to hear updates.

car garage includes BMW Mini Cooper S, and BMW E39 530i and now XJS '92 4.0 FHC. Soon to add Subaru Legacy Spec B estate. Not sure which one of above to go.

xjs6000
Posts:22
Joined:Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:12 pm
Location:Bucks
Contact:

Re: XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby xjs6000 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:06 pm


How many of the XJS racers are regular members here, apart from Ralph? I know they would appreciate out support.


Not as regular as I would like to be. :oops:

Steve
www.xjs6000.cc
XJS6000

Hosier77
Posts:69
Joined:Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 pm

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby Hosier77 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Ah, more bran mate, thats the secret.

There is a small chance i might actually get out by Castle Coombe, nearly finished building the nursery, built the cot and all the other baby related gubbins that modern life demands. Sprog is due to be born in july, so by october i will need to get out for a quiet weekends racing!

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby dhdove » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Dear All

Apologies first, :oops: I've been meaning to update this post recently but what with one thing and another it's now less than two weeks to race day...........anyway here goes.

UPDATE

XJS Racing series is confirmed as on both on JEC Racing website and Castle Coombe circuit site, see here

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/eve ... EventID=93

It would appear that this is now the penultimate XJS race of the season.
For us Jag fans there is also the JEC Saloon Car Championship

Also on are local Castle Coombe finals - FF1600, Saloon Car and Special GT and National heats - Swinging Sixties and Tin Tops/ Future Classics. Both of these last two are well worth watching.


Practice starts at 8.40 and racing at 13.00.
Admission is £12.00 per adult.

It also appears that there is a JEC South West Day Meeting on with Paddock parking and organised pits tour, this is being set-up by the Wiltshire region and I am awaiting details which I will post on receipt.

In any event, given the weather it should be a great chance to see our favourite motors hard at it at an exciting circuit (and if wet will be even more exciting :evil: ).

Do please post soon if you are (still) interested, Libby and I will definately be going........... it's her Birthday Present.................... :shock:

Again apologies for the late "bump" up the Forum.

All those who were hoping to go to the Heynes Museum, why not come racing instead?

Best Wishes

DH Dove

PS If anyone is interested I can recommend a very good local hotel with excellent food owned by friends.
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby poprivet » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I will be abroad on holiday, although not with the Jag :cry:
Maybe next time.
Pop

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby dhdove » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:53 pm

UPDATE

Dear All

I know I posted late but the response is slightly underwhelming.......... :cry: (thanks anyway Pop)

I now have details from Don Westcott of the Wiltshire Region.
He has arranged a Jaguar "reserved car park" at Camp Corner for JEC members attending and has invited us to join them, see here

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/circuitmap.htm

Jaguar racing practice starts at 9.30 am and there will be a guided paddock tour at 11.15 with Terry Dye.

Spaces in the reserved area will be limited so please do post if you are coming so that I can let Don know.

I'm sure that it will be a great day out, especially for those who have not been to a Jaguar Race Series event previously and am confident that you will enjoy the spectacle.

Looking forward to the flood of confirmations......... :D

DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

User avatar
Dimdip
Posts:48
Joined:Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 pm
Location:Odiham, Hants.

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby Dimdip » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:31 pm

Just to show there is some interest, I certainly intend to come along - but its so dependent on work etc I can't say for definite. If I make it I'll try to find the corner (never been to this circuit).

See you there (probably!).

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby dhdove » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:01 am

Dimdip

Hope to see you there, re location see map, Camp Corner at the western end of circuit . You'll drive past circuit on your left on B4039 if approaching from the east, (Chippenham, M4 Jctn 17), turn left at sharp right hand bend, entrance on your left, quote JEC reserved parking arranged with Rodney Couch of Castle Coombe Circuit

DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

User avatar
Dimdip
Posts:48
Joined:Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 pm
Location:Odiham, Hants.

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby Dimdip » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks for the directions, still looks good work-wise for the day off!

Cheers.

Peterdt

Member
Posts:9
Joined:Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:20 pm

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby Peterdt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 am

DH Dove,

Many thanks for organising this I will be along with my XJS around mid morning.

Cheers

Peter

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby dhdove » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 am

REPORT

Wind, cold and rain combined to make this outing an experience suited to only the hardiest of race fans..............

Arriving early we joined members of the JEC Wilts region in the dedicated JEC parking area at Camp Corner and were promptly met by Rodney Couch from Castle Coombe Circuit who gave us a roll of free paddock transfer tickets - a very kind gesture.

The Saloon car and XJS practice laps were exciting to watch and immediately after we assembled for a guided tour of the Paddock with Terry Dye (JEC Racing Co-Ordinator) and Ray Ingman (Classic Spares XJS Racing "Supervisor"). This was very informative and was made more enjoyable by the best weather of the day when the sun came out briefly and warmed us up a bit!

I managed to have a chat with Ray about tyre availability (Toyo Tyres sponsor the XJS Series and all cars run on the same tyre type) with reference to those Forum members running cars on 15" rims and the recent difficulties in obtaining Pirellis. Ray has kindly offered to lend his expertise to this problem in (hopefully) identifying more modern and easilly available alternatives and I will report back on this asap.

Nice to see Peterdt again on the day - dimdip sorry I missed you if you made it!

I must confess that by early pm with the XJS Racing scheduled for 4.00pm Libby and I threw in the towel and headed home (only a few miles) to do other things. We were both feeling a bit chilly and the weather for the rest of the afternoon stayed cold and wet.

I have to admit that attending races in October perhaps wasn't the best idea I've had but none the less we enjoyed the trip out and the opportunity to meet the organisers and racers. Ah well......those of you who decided to stay at home with your feet up made a good call. :wink:

Best Wishes

DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

User avatar
Dimdip
Posts:48
Joined:Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:04 pm
Location:Odiham, Hants.

XJS Race Series 2008 Castle Coombe October 4th 2008

Postby Dimdip » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:37 pm

I would also like to say that I had an enjoyable day at the meeting, despite the weather.

I would like to pass on my thanks to all who organised this event, and for the invitation from the Wiltshire region to attend. A special thanks must go to the drivers/crews who willingly offered their cars for our examination and their time for our questions - I'm sure we got in the way a bit but thank you all for your time.

I was surprised to see several Jaguars in the "open" classes and it was gratifying to see then mixing it with much newer and sportier cars.

Definitely an event I will repeat next year (although in the warmer months!).

Dimdip :D


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests