What tyres to fit?
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Own a 3.6 coupe Sport 1991 fitted with Pirelli P600 tyres sized 235/60/15 98w on original lattice rims, if you can get these tyres they cost the earth. Wondered if any of you XJS owners have fitted an alternative modern replacement and if so how did you get on with them compared to the Pirelli?
Many thanks from Peter
Many thanks from Peter
Re: What tyres to fit?
Hi Peter
I'm a bit out of the loop but I think you have two choices, pay a fortune for the Pirellis if they are available, or fit original later 16" OEM XJS wheels or after market wheels of your preference giving a wide choice of tyres
TonyS
I'm a bit out of the loop but I think you have two choices, pay a fortune for the Pirellis if they are available, or fit original later 16" OEM XJS wheels or after market wheels of your preference giving a wide choice of tyres
TonyS
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Re: What tyres to fit?
16" would be the way forward. However, if 15" wheels are likely to around for a while, try these;
FALKEN ZE 912 - 225/60 R15 96W
Camskill (http://www.camskill.co.uk/) offer a price beat guarantee that can be used to persuade your local tyre factor on price...
I have run FALKEN ZE 912 - 225/60 R15 96W on my XJ-S for the last 6 years without issue. I am currently upgrading to 16" Fondmetals
FALKEN ZE 912 - 225/60 R15 96W
Camskill (http://www.camskill.co.uk/) offer a price beat guarantee that can be used to persuade your local tyre factor on price...
I have run FALKEN ZE 912 - 225/60 R15 96W on my XJ-S for the last 6 years without issue. I am currently upgrading to 16" Fondmetals
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
- Cossington
- Posts:59
- Joined:Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm
- Location:Leicestershire
Re: What tyres to fit?
Has anyone changed their 15'' tyres, recently I need two new ones for the front wheels.
I note the KWE recommendations of Falken ZE912 (as Big Cat XJS recommended) along with Avon ZZ3. Both in 225 x 60 x 15.
Any other recommendations?
Thanks,
David
I note the KWE recommendations of Falken ZE912 (as Big Cat XJS recommended) along with Avon ZZ3. Both in 225 x 60 x 15.
Any other recommendations?
Thanks,
David
Current Jaguars-
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
- Cossington
- Posts:59
- Joined:Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm
- Location:Leicestershire
Re: What tyres to fit?
I have just bought some Pepper pot wheels - 15, 6J.
The current tyres need replacing and are 205/70. Like many other sizes, this size is in very short supply (other than as a winter tyre).
Can I go to 215/ (70 or particularly 65), which will give more options?
Or is this too wide for a 6inch wide wheel?
I have spent quite some time googling this, which has thrown up an inconclusive result (both 'yes, it is too wide' and 'no, it is fine').
Is anyone using this size and would you use it again?
Any other suggestions, please?
Thanks,
David
The current tyres need replacing and are 205/70. Like many other sizes, this size is in very short supply (other than as a winter tyre).
Can I go to 215/ (70 or particularly 65), which will give more options?
Or is this too wide for a 6inch wide wheel?
I have spent quite some time googling this, which has thrown up an inconclusive result (both 'yes, it is too wide' and 'no, it is fine').
Is anyone using this size and would you use it again?
Any other suggestions, please?
Thanks,
David
Current Jaguars-
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
Re: What tyres to fit?
I'm running 225's on the front but I can't remember the profile at the moment; I'll have a look tomorrow.
I've got 235's on the back but can't afford the Pirelli ones.
I've got 235's on the back but can't afford the Pirelli ones.
- Cossington
- Posts:59
- Joined:Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm
- Location:Leicestershire
Re: What tyres to fit?
Thanks, Steve.
The car came with Starfish wheels - 15 x 6.5 inches, but the Pepperpots are half an inch narrower at 15 x 6.
Starfish currently have 215 at the front at 225 rear, but I'll need to make sure whatever size is fitted is appropriate for 6inch wide wheels (or I sell on the Pepperpots and stick to the Starfish ones).
David
The car came with Starfish wheels - 15 x 6.5 inches, but the Pepperpots are half an inch narrower at 15 x 6.
Starfish currently have 215 at the front at 225 rear, but I'll need to make sure whatever size is fitted is appropriate for 6inch wide wheels (or I sell on the Pepperpots and stick to the Starfish ones).
David
Current Jaguars-
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
-
registerhouder
- Posts:1
- Joined:Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 am
- Location:Castricum, Netherlands
Re: What tyres to fit?
May be a little late, but Vredestein offer to two types for this car. The classic one 215/70 R15 and a modern, cheaper one the sportrac 5 225/60 R15 96V.
regards, Eltjo
regards, Eltjo
Re: What tyres to fit?
And so this thread continues :-
Tintin started a tyre thread in respect to his XJ Series one which is worth a read.
I also have a need for a set of tyres for my Series 2 XJ 12 so this thread is of interest to me.
I have Pepperpot rims fitted with 215x70x15 Pirelli tyres which I believe were a standard fit on Series 3 XJ 12 cars.
I obtained these from a most reliable source probably twenty years ago so I am confident that a 215mm tyre is satisfactory fit on a pepperpot rim.
Just in case I was having a senior moment (going nuts) I've just been into the garage to ensure that I'm not imagining things. And yes, it is 215 tyre and the rim is clearly embossed 6JK made by GKN (Guest Keen and Netttlefold )
It appears from this thread that the 215 size is more readily available.
Just out of interest I should mention that I happen to have a set of 16in Lattice rims in the attic , I wonder if they would fit (PCD + inset and outset to be considered) and whether they would suit the vehicle. A job for the better weather I believe.
I trust this will help a little
Oldtimer
Tintin started a tyre thread in respect to his XJ Series one which is worth a read.
I also have a need for a set of tyres for my Series 2 XJ 12 so this thread is of interest to me.
I have Pepperpot rims fitted with 215x70x15 Pirelli tyres which I believe were a standard fit on Series 3 XJ 12 cars.
I obtained these from a most reliable source probably twenty years ago so I am confident that a 215mm tyre is satisfactory fit on a pepperpot rim.
Just in case I was having a senior moment (going nuts) I've just been into the garage to ensure that I'm not imagining things. And yes, it is 215 tyre and the rim is clearly embossed 6JK made by GKN (Guest Keen and Netttlefold )
It appears from this thread that the 215 size is more readily available.
Just out of interest I should mention that I happen to have a set of 16in Lattice rims in the attic , I wonder if they would fit (PCD + inset and outset to be considered) and whether they would suit the vehicle. A job for the better weather I believe.
I trust this will help a little
Oldtimer
- Cossington
- Posts:59
- Joined:Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm
- Location:Leicestershire
Re: What tyres to fit?
Thank you - good to get that information. I am still pondering the way forward, so certainly timely info for me.
The thread on the XJ series section is very helpful. Good to have confirmation of 6j width pepperpot wheels being compatible with 215 width tyres.
Best wishes,
David
The thread on the XJ series section is very helpful. Good to have confirmation of 6j width pepperpot wheels being compatible with 215 width tyres.
Best wishes,
David
Current Jaguars-
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
Re: What tyres to fit?
Hello:
I've the Vredestein Sportrac 5 in 225/60 - 15, and I'm very happy with them. Original 235/60 Pirellis are very expensive, too wide, and hard tyres with no much grip.
Car is now more agile and responsive, less fuel comsumption, very good price and great grip (in wet conditions too, far more than 235/60 Pirellis). Wheel arches don't look empty, as overall diameter difference is only 12 mm.
Another option is 215/65 - 15, almost same diameter as 235/60.
I've the Vredestein Sportrac 5 in 225/60 - 15, and I'm very happy with them. Original 235/60 Pirellis are very expensive, too wide, and hard tyres with no much grip.
Car is now more agile and responsive, less fuel comsumption, very good price and great grip (in wet conditions too, far more than 235/60 Pirellis). Wheel arches don't look empty, as overall diameter difference is only 12 mm.
Another option is 215/65 - 15, almost same diameter as 235/60.
Re: What tyres to fit?
This thread has got a bit mixed up between the original question and Cossington's.
Remember they have different sized wheels and the tyre need is different for anyone else reading.
Remember they have different sized wheels and the tyre need is different for anyone else reading.
Re: What tyres to fit?
Hi fellow XJS owners I have an update on my 'What tyres to fit' dilemma
Thanks very much for the advice I got when posted the question
Just by sheer chance a friend of mine was breaking a rusted out saloon that happened to have a very good set (After hours of cleaning) of latter XJS 16" rims fitted. To be honest the car had been rusting away in an old shed for about 5 years and was beyond saving and bizarrely had the XJS wheels fitted with a different tyre on each rim, some even had the wrong profile. Elbow grease is a wonderful thing and spent about 2 hours in total cleaning the wheels up.
Have fitted Michelin Privacy3 tyres sized 225/55/16 98W which look and drive fantastically well, think it has not altered the speedo accuracy hardly any at all according to data off a website. Am so happy with the transformed drive and much improved handling it has given me
Thanks very much for the advice I got when posted the question
Just by sheer chance a friend of mine was breaking a rusted out saloon that happened to have a very good set (After hours of cleaning) of latter XJS 16" rims fitted. To be honest the car had been rusting away in an old shed for about 5 years and was beyond saving and bizarrely had the XJS wheels fitted with a different tyre on each rim, some even had the wrong profile. Elbow grease is a wonderful thing and spent about 2 hours in total cleaning the wheels up.
Have fitted Michelin Privacy3 tyres sized 225/55/16 98W which look and drive fantastically well, think it has not altered the speedo accuracy hardly any at all according to data off a website. Am so happy with the transformed drive and much improved handling it has given me
Re: What tyres to fit?
Peter,
Well done! I know the 16" wheel is not original to your car but it does give you many more options on tyres. And IMO the 225/55 on a 16" rim is a great ride!
Paul
Well done! I know the 16" wheel is not original to your car but it does give you many more options on tyres. And IMO the 225/55 on a 16" rim is a great ride!
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: What tyres to fit? XJS
I am a newish visitor to your site. I have owned my XJS 5.3 coupe for the past 20yrs.
The cost of 235 60 15 pirelli tyres had got too expensive to justify my limited mileage. I decided to fit different rims + tyres.
I have had 18 x 9j alloy rims with 265 40 18 Nexen SU 1 XL fitted front & back with minimal camber required, and no other mod's needed.
The tyres fill the wheel arches nicely, and Aprox - £100 each. I have driven at speed in dry and wet conditions with no adverse results.
I would highly recommend this upgrade as a cost-effective alternative.
The cost of 235 60 15 pirelli tyres had got too expensive to justify my limited mileage. I decided to fit different rims + tyres.
I have had 18 x 9j alloy rims with 265 40 18 Nexen SU 1 XL fitted front & back with minimal camber required, and no other mod's needed.
The tyres fill the wheel arches nicely, and Aprox - £100 each. I have driven at speed in dry and wet conditions with no adverse results.
I would highly recommend this upgrade as a cost-effective alternative.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

