Have a 3.8 MK10 engine , and this flywheel was on it , looks to be cast iron , has 104 teeth and weighs around 7kg , can anyone confirm it is from a e-type , and not a MK10 !
Thanks
E-type flywheel
- greensimonc

- Posts:106
- Joined:Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:10 pm
Re: E-type flywheel
.....afraid I've never seen my flywheel (and hope I don't really!), but looking at the item in SNGBarratt's catalogue, it's similar but not exactly the same, especially the holes around the outer rim.
Good hunting, Simon.
Good hunting, Simon.
'66 E Type Series 1, 4.2l 2+2 Auto
MY23 E Pace P300e R Dynamic SE AWD PHEV
Tiger Cat E1
gone and much missed:
'63 reg XF Sportbrake 3.0 v6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
MY23 E Pace P300e R Dynamic SE AWD PHEV
Tiger Cat E1
gone and much missed:
'63 reg XF Sportbrake 3.0 v6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
Re: E-type flywheel
Have been told this is a standard E-TYPE flywheel , the difference with mine is there is less metal on the teeth inner edge , so yes guess it has been machined !
- Attachments
-
- bf139cb9dec817119431667d9a9f95825f8fee52[1].jpg (36.9KiB)Viewed 4849 times
Re: E-type flywheel
Hi, Interesting question. Might be worth trying to find Part No's of flywheels and their application which may give you a clue. Do you have the starter motor that came with that engine ? If so, one would hope that the dog on the starter matches the flywheel starter ring teeth ?
Chewing this over I'm wondering if there is such a thing as an E type flywheel - if so 3.8 or 4.2
I really am guessing but was the differences, if any between engine sizes, like 2.4 , 3.4 , 3.8 , 4.2 rather than model. I don't recall any dimensional differences in clutch centre plate or cover plate but of course the weights might vary
For what it is worth, Back in the sixties I fitted a 4.2 engine from a 420G Auto into a Mk7M . The flex plate and torque converter were discarded and replaced with the flywheel removed from the Mk 7 3.4 engine, that all fitted and worked well. Just as a PS, that same engine and flywheel was later fitted into 60,s S type, not a task that I would want to repeat or recommend.
Providing the clutch centre plate working surface on the flywheel and starter ring teeth are in good order I would not worry about it and use it. Starter ring teeth tend to wear in one place but this can be replaced.
I hope my ramblings are of some value to you
Oldtimer
Chewing this over I'm wondering if there is such a thing as an E type flywheel - if so 3.8 or 4.2
I really am guessing but was the differences, if any between engine sizes, like 2.4 , 3.4 , 3.8 , 4.2 rather than model. I don't recall any dimensional differences in clutch centre plate or cover plate but of course the weights might vary
For what it is worth, Back in the sixties I fitted a 4.2 engine from a 420G Auto into a Mk7M . The flex plate and torque converter were discarded and replaced with the flywheel removed from the Mk 7 3.4 engine, that all fitted and worked well. Just as a PS, that same engine and flywheel was later fitted into 60,s S type, not a task that I would want to repeat or recommend.
Providing the clutch centre plate working surface on the flywheel and starter ring teeth are in good order I would not worry about it and use it. Starter ring teeth tend to wear in one place but this can be replaced.
I hope my ramblings are of some value to you
Oldtimer
Re: E-type flywheel
Hi Oldtimer , the ring gear is not replaceable on this wheel , it is made all in one !
Thanks for your in put ,
Thanks for your in put ,
Re: E-type flywheel
Further to above and looking at your second picture the starter ring appears to be an integral part of the flywheel so not replaceable.
Just out of interest, is the starter motor of the pre engaged type ? The earlier type with the Bendix type starter where the dog was thrown into engagement the flywheel teeth had a chamfer to ease dog engagement .
Let us know what conclusions you come too.
Just out of interest, is the starter motor of the pre engaged type ? The earlier type with the Bendix type starter where the dog was thrown into engagement the flywheel teeth had a chamfer to ease dog engagement .
Let us know what conclusions you come too.
Re: E-type flywheel
The teeth do have a chamfer on the edge , The Engine never come with a gearbox,starter motor , or a head , there is a number on the flywheel but its very hard to make out , what I can make out is F7126
-
Puddinhead
- Posts:3
- Joined:Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:15 pm
Re: E-type flywheel
My '66 FHC had a factory 133 tooth flywheel which I replaced with a new Alloy FW from XKS.com; it however was 132 toothed and XKS.com told me the 1 less tooth would not make any difference.
Patrick
'66 FHC
Patrick
'66 FHC
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests