blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Moderator:LJR

User avatar
CliveRothwell

Member
Posts:286
Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
Contact:
blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Postby CliveRothwell » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Both the inlet and the outlet pipes are hot to touch suggesting flow through the matrix. However, whilst, unusually, all flaps work using vacuum, only really weak cool air is produced even when asking for heat. The matrix was a new unit fitted some 7 years ago before a cylinder head refurb job. Any thoughts / remedies / old wives tales please?

User avatar
stevewarbs
Posts:38
Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Postby stevewarbs » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:29 pm

I would expect the outlet to be appreciably cooler than the inlet as the the heat is lost through the matrix. If the outlet is the same temp then that could be that wither the matrix is blocked and the coolant is mostly bypassing it or there could be an airlock in the matrix.

The other thing you could check is that the air inlet flap in the scuttle panel is opening. I recently had a split vacuum hose which meant it didn't open and I had no warm air to the car.

Good luck
Steve
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey

User avatar
CliveRothwell

Member
Posts:286
Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Postby CliveRothwell » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 pm

That sounds like a good idea to me Steve, many thanks. I'll investigate further along those lines.

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Postby PaulGover » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:56 pm

If you suspect a blocked radiator, and you have an appropriate specialist nearby (in the good old days, look in Yellow Pages), the easiest thing to do is whip it out and let them refurbish it. When I last did it (admittedly some years ago) the cost was relatively low (much less than a new radiator) and the result much better than chemicals (he'd unsoldered the end caps, rodded through pipes, repaired leaks and tidied the fins).

If you prefer the chemical route, if you can find the two pack Holts one, or use 1/5th of a tub of Fernox central heating descaler (the powder version, not the liquid; as far as I could see, it's the same stuff as Holts, I believe malic acid crystals). It's particularly good at clearing the rusty build-up that the XK engine block is notorious for. One downside: if your core plugs have deteriorated, you'll find out 'cos they'll leak like a sieve after it's dissolved the rust blocking the holes!
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Postby oldtimer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi Clive,
Sounds very much like my 'ole '73 Series Two. Inlet and Outlet pipes get nice and hot, switch the fan on and some heat for a few moment then goes cold. To me, a sure sign of a blocked heater matrix,
I've had a replacement matrix on the shelf for years ! Procrastination rules OK.
-
Bit surprised that this has returned after 7 years - any idea as to the state of the rest of the cooling system, has corrosion and crud accumulations managed to congregate in the Matrix ?

Has the cooling system always been filled with Ethyl Glycol anti freeze with anti corrosion inhibitor package all year round to the industry standard 50/50 mix

User avatar
CliveRothwell

Member
Posts:286
Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Postby CliveRothwell » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:22 pm

I'm beginning to suspect a blocked matrix from what you have been saying. Whilst the matrix is just 7 years old, it was fitted into an old system. 3 years ago, the head was done along with a new - yes new radiator with new core plugs as well. If I'm ever allowed out to play with the car ever again, I'll have a go at isolating the inlet / outlet pipes, letting the matrix stand with Holts rad cleaner and then carefully put the power washer through the matrix.

Thanks for the advice all of you.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Postby J44EAG » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:41 pm

I clean out marine heat exchangers with brick acid or caustic soda. Tough jobs need tough chemicals.

At the risk of being shot out of the water, pulling off the bottom hose, draining the rad and plugging with a bung of some kind, I would then be filling the rad with some of the above and let stand for a few hours. I`d expect that a fair amount of detriatus to be washer out during a good flush out. The rad could stay in the car but care will be needed to avoid splashes from any evil chemical used.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
CliveRothwell

Member
Posts:286
Joined:Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 pm
Location:Stamford, Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: blocked heater matrix XJ series 3 3.4

Postby CliveRothwell » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Mike - that also sounds like a cunning plan that could be well worth a try before the car gets it's paint job early next year. Many thanks indeed.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests