Drove it back from Powys on Thursday, and it was a bit skittish and the pot holes sounded with more of a clunk rather than a normal softer thrump. Found that the tyre pressures were all wrong -- 19psi in the rears and 22 - 24 in the fronts. Adjusted that on Friday to 34psi all round and immediate benefits!
Took it down to Brighton/Hove/Worthing/Storrington and back to SE London on Saturday and I must say, most of the clunks have gone. Just the occasional minor tramlining feel to contend with in the steering, a very slight tendency to brake steer in the direction of road camber. Oh, and a very slight speed wobble that starts at 55mph then goes, only to return at 75mph (indicated)
Course, someone previous has been playing: it's got XKR wheels on fitted with 255/40 ZR18 XLs all round but with 6mm of tread and no cuts as far as I can see. Someone's stuck a "Sport" badge on the boot instead of the "Executive" that should be there. V5C counterfoil says Executive and it's got the vertical bars for front grill. Is there any other way of determining this as the entry level XJ8 for 2001?
With the duff tyre pressures returned 27mpg down from Powys. And 26mpg on the Sussex run around the country lanes overall. Am giving it a course of V-Power as I believe its cleaning agent does actually work (used it on my daily a 2.0L tFSI Passat with 88k with excellent results over 900L) It's also 100RON. Of course, that's incidental...
Questions: Don't have a stack of invoices to check what's been done and what hasn't, and no owners' handbook either (said it was cheap
Battery's a Varta Blue Dimension 88AHC with yellow colour code spot for March 2010, so that's got to be changed as the usual (what I've learned in the forums) dash error message coming up only on starter motor turn "TRAC NOT AVAILABLE" which goes away at firing.
Passats gain a steering warning light and a ESP warning light that go out within a few hundred yards of driving / turning steering when you disconnect then re-connect battery on one of those. Anything to watch for before I make a fool of myself by changing over the old battery for a new Bosch?
Used to having a full diagnostic tool for the Passat (VAg-Com aka VCDS) but dunno whether there's a similar detailed OBDII tool for this car? Or is it just use a generic "p" code reader?
And finally, if you've reach this far in this post, what else should I now check? I'd like to minimise any clunks and check why the slight tramlining. Is the occasional camber / brake steer indicative of severe wear somewheres?
Before deciding on this one went to see three higher mileage XKRs and they weren't as good as this XJ8 and had been used as a 4.0L supercharged should. You'd have to go to £7k and above for a high mileage decent one that hadn't been ragged. Which is out of my budget (as her indoors told me)
The bottom RHS of the dash has an upholstered aperture that I took to be a cubby hole but it has a long lead in it with a small three way connector on the end. What's that for? Head unit is the Premium Sound System with 6 CD (only plain audio format) changer in the boot. No connector for 'phone in the armrest. And I read that its got some form of Optical Fibre Ring for any peripherals that can be connected. Does that mean no Navi, no Bluetooth, no Aux in, no USB, no DVD, no DAB?
Tried to check what fluids I could in engine bay but the two turn fluid fillers either side of the bay won't turn. Didn't want to put a wrench on them in case there's a secret release mechanism on them I don't know about. Engine oil's a light brown and after the two trips is on the second of the three XXX on dipstick.
All comments, and pointers for this X308 newbie very welcome.

