I am a new member and have just purchased an XJS Celebration convertible. The car's in great condition apart from the front seats and centre armrest. I've been advised that they are too far gone to be reconditioned - lots of previous attempts to recolour, dodgy stitching etc - and so need to be retrimmed. The foam has also collapsed so I've searched for good quality second-hand seats from the usual places, but with no luck.
I'm based in Somerset and would appreciate recommendations for retrimmers or any other suggestions from other more experienced members.
Thanks, David
Retrimming front seats
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
-
DavidCosham

- Posts:14
- Joined:Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:43 am
- Location:Somerset
David
New owner of 1996 XJS Celebration convertible
Looking forward to meeting and sharing interest in these wonderful cars
New owner of 1996 XJS Celebration convertible
Looking forward to meeting and sharing interest in these wonderful cars
Re: Retrimming front seats
Hi David and welcome!
I have a Celebration coupe and will be having the front seats, armrest and door cards recovered (replaced in the case of the door cards) by Aldridge Trimming. Depending on what you want to spend and the approach you want to adopt, if this is something you're interested in, you can either order the bits you need from them (on eBay) or take your car into them.
As guidance, they estimated -
To supply and fit the front seat covers would be £1281.19 and the door cards would be £393.07, so total would be £1674.26 (incl. VAT).
Armrest and pockets recovered which would be an additional £166.92.
They estimate about a week to do.
I think the 2 seat covers are just under £900 just to order.
Hope that helps a bit - I've given up keep spreading cream coloured yuk on the driver seat to cover up the few minor cracks I have and general wear and tear. Currently my car's having the central locking repaired by KWE, so no doubt I'll postpone the work above for a little while.
Richard
I have a Celebration coupe and will be having the front seats, armrest and door cards recovered (replaced in the case of the door cards) by Aldridge Trimming. Depending on what you want to spend and the approach you want to adopt, if this is something you're interested in, you can either order the bits you need from them (on eBay) or take your car into them.
As guidance, they estimated -
To supply and fit the front seat covers would be £1281.19 and the door cards would be £393.07, so total would be £1674.26 (incl. VAT).
Armrest and pockets recovered which would be an additional £166.92.
They estimate about a week to do.
I think the 2 seat covers are just under £900 just to order.
Hope that helps a bit - I've given up keep spreading cream coloured yuk on the driver seat to cover up the few minor cracks I have and general wear and tear. Currently my car's having the central locking repaired by KWE, so no doubt I'll postpone the work above for a little while.
Richard
Last edited by franrca on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
Re: Retrimming front seats
Richard
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
Re: Retrimming front seats
Hi David
I was much impressed by BAS International in Cwmbran, S Wales but have not had any work done by them. Their priced brochure is worth a look. BAS may be at Stoneleigh this autumn if you are going and want to meet them face to face.
I didn't use BAS because I decided to have a go at refurbishing the drivers seat of my 1996 Celebration myself using a kit from Furniture Clinic. I was absolutely amazed at the resultant improvement to colour and finish - and I am a complete amateur with upholstery! Only you will know if the deterioration of your seat is beyond what can be refreshed by re-finishing - I decided that it was worth the effort and cost (about £50) to try it myself and see - and it worked!
Robbie
I was much impressed by BAS International in Cwmbran, S Wales but have not had any work done by them. Their priced brochure is worth a look. BAS may be at Stoneleigh this autumn if you are going and want to meet them face to face.
I didn't use BAS because I decided to have a go at refurbishing the drivers seat of my 1996 Celebration myself using a kit from Furniture Clinic. I was absolutely amazed at the resultant improvement to colour and finish - and I am a complete amateur with upholstery! Only you will know if the deterioration of your seat is beyond what can be refreshed by re-finishing - I decided that it was worth the effort and cost (about £50) to try it myself and see - and it worked!
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
-
DavidCosham

- Posts:14
- Joined:Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:43 am
- Location:Somerset
Re: Retrimming front seats
Hi Robbie - did you take "before" and "after" pics of your seats?
Thanks,
David
Thanks,
David
David
New owner of 1996 XJS Celebration convertible
Looking forward to meeting and sharing interest in these wonderful cars
New owner of 1996 XJS Celebration convertible
Looking forward to meeting and sharing interest in these wonderful cars
Re: Retrimming front seats
David,
I would politely suggest that unless your stitching has disintegrated or the seat foams have collapsed, then it's perfectly feasible for you to refurbish those seats and armrest using Furniture Clinic products.
The wear on your drivers seat is really quite typical of late XJS wear and shows up worse on the cream-type colours.
I recently redid the drivers seat on my car which had some wear in similar places. See pics of after & before.
I would recommend that you buy the basic kit and also some flexible filler and some leather binder. As regards finish, I would use Gloss, followed by some Gloss diluted with Matt. You might need to experiment to get the precise finish you require. The most fiddly part was using cocktail sticks to laboriously poke every stitch hole after each coat to avoid that over-painted look that cheap recoloring can give.
Many of us have had really good results using the FC products. The modern products really do give a very cost-effective alternative to £2000 worth of new seat covers. And even if you do ultimately end up needing new seats, the £50 you'll have spent will still be money well spent and really good practice for future seat refurbishment.
Worth a try IMO.
Good luck
Paul
I would politely suggest that unless your stitching has disintegrated or the seat foams have collapsed, then it's perfectly feasible for you to refurbish those seats and armrest using Furniture Clinic products.
The wear on your drivers seat is really quite typical of late XJS wear and shows up worse on the cream-type colours.
I recently redid the drivers seat on my car which had some wear in similar places. See pics of after & before.
I would recommend that you buy the basic kit and also some flexible filler and some leather binder. As regards finish, I would use Gloss, followed by some Gloss diluted with Matt. You might need to experiment to get the precise finish you require. The most fiddly part was using cocktail sticks to laboriously poke every stitch hole after each coat to avoid that over-painted look that cheap recoloring can give.
Many of us have had really good results using the FC products. The modern products really do give a very cost-effective alternative to £2000 worth of new seat covers. And even if you do ultimately end up needing new seats, the £50 you'll have spent will still be money well spent and really good practice for future seat refurbishment.
Worth a try IMO.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Retrimming front seats
That looks really good Paul - whilst I need to get my door cards replaced, you've got me thinking re the seats and armrest.
Richard
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal
Re: Retrimming front seats
Hi David
I concur with Pauls points re stitching padding and the general approach of refinishing over new leather but would add a couple of points.
You will need to mask up the piping before spraying the general leather. Even so, you will get some overspray on the piping which will then need re-colouring. The piping is vinyl, not leather and needs a different prep solution and you will need to colour it using a fine artists brush with the appropriate colour. After the piping the whole seat can be sealed.
I would use gloss then satin sealant rather than thinned gloss.
Set the seat back rake to a suitable position for the work using the motor before removing the seat, as you can't adjust it once the seat is disconnected and on the bench - obvious, but annoying when you forget!
Have a chat with the guys at FC - they are really helpful and knowledgeable.
I have no before photos of mine but attach some of the "afters".
Good luck.
Robbie
I concur with Pauls points re stitching padding and the general approach of refinishing over new leather but would add a couple of points.
You will need to mask up the piping before spraying the general leather. Even so, you will get some overspray on the piping which will then need re-colouring. The piping is vinyl, not leather and needs a different prep solution and you will need to colour it using a fine artists brush with the appropriate colour. After the piping the whole seat can be sealed.
I would use gloss then satin sealant rather than thinned gloss.
Set the seat back rake to a suitable position for the work using the motor before removing the seat, as you can't adjust it once the seat is disconnected and on the bench - obvious, but annoying when you forget!
Have a chat with the guys at FC - they are really helpful and knowledgeable.
I have no before photos of mine but attach some of the "afters".
Good luck.
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Retrimming front seats
David,
Good point from Robbie re. the piping that you have on your seat. I would also suggest that you undo the two bolts and split the seat back from the squab, and also remove the runner base. It's so much easier to work on the seat and get a quality result without the runner in situ and with the seat in 2 parts.
Paul
Good point from Robbie re. the piping that you have on your seat. I would also suggest that you undo the two bolts and split the seat back from the squab, and also remove the runner base. It's so much easier to work on the seat and get a quality result without the runner in situ and with the seat in 2 parts.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Retrimming front seats
what if you have contrasting stitching like me .....ur stuffed, lol
nice results above though boys
BB
nice results above though boys
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: Retrimming front seats
BB,
It is technically possible to mask the stitching using extreme patience and very small strips of tape or else using a liquid masking agent. Even on my cream seats, the stitching seems to be a slightly paler, almost white, colour and I did (very momentarily!) think about going down that route . But fortunately common sense prevailed and I just spent time with cocktail sticks instead to clear the stitch holes.
If anyone fancied going down the restoration route but didn't trust their own skills, you can pay Furniture Clinic to do the work for you.
Paul
It is technically possible to mask the stitching using extreme patience and very small strips of tape or else using a liquid masking agent. Even on my cream seats, the stitching seems to be a slightly paler, almost white, colour and I did (very momentarily!) think about going down that route . But fortunately common sense prevailed and I just spent time with cocktail sticks instead to clear the stitch holes.
If anyone fancied going down the restoration route but didn't trust their own skills, you can pay Furniture Clinic to do the work for you.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Retrimming front seats
i did think of a ' magic marker ' after the recolouring was done, as i have ' mulberry ' stitching on ' Doeskin ' seats in the '40
but now i have installed replacement seats which are very passable, i am not in any panic

IMG_1497 by MyPix on Talk Photography
BB
but now i have installed replacement seats which are very passable, i am not in any panic

IMG_1497 by MyPix on Talk Photography
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: Retrimming front seats
My seats okayish but the foam has all but collapsed. Has anyone just replaced this?
Nick
Nick
- JaguarMike

- Posts:75
- Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:53 pm
- Location:Coventry
Re: Retrimming front seats
Hi David,
just this week we (Coventry & Hinckley Region) had a talk by Maggie Walker of Interior Revival and what that can do is called magic! See http://www.interiorrevival.co.uk. They have done lots of Jags (incl. early XJS, Lance's Eventer & Sir William Lyons XJ6 driver seat for Heritage), very early Bentleys too. Nothing too much trouble it would seem and far cheaper than replacement from what she was saying.
They are in Newark, Notts (NG22 9ZD), Tel: 07813 678 645. Might be worth a call and some Emails? Just mention our recent region talk, it might help.
just this week we (Coventry & Hinckley Region) had a talk by Maggie Walker of Interior Revival and what that can do is called magic! See http://www.interiorrevival.co.uk. They have done lots of Jags (incl. early XJS, Lance's Eventer & Sir William Lyons XJ6 driver seat for Heritage), very early Bentleys too. Nothing too much trouble it would seem and far cheaper than replacement from what she was saying.
They are in Newark, Notts (NG22 9ZD), Tel: 07813 678 645. Might be worth a call and some Emails? Just mention our recent region talk, it might help.
Re: Retrimming front seats
I'm on the look out for a half leather doe-skin Driver (RHD) front seat. Anybody got anything? I've exhausted all the obvious sources.
Kind regards
Nick
Kind regards
Nick
1994 4.0 XJS AJ16 BRG
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
2009 2.2 X Type Diesel BRG
2007 4.2 X150 Silver
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest