Undersealing an XKR

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

ianoliver57

Member
Posts:261
Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 pm
Location:Tayvallich, Argyll.
Undersealing an XKR

Postby ianoliver57 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:50 am

Having just bought a 2010 XKR, I am keen to make sure it stays in the condition it is now for a long as possible. Can anyone comment on the following points;
I have been told that Waxoyl is the best treatment. Anyone disagree?
Can it be used on the entire underside or is it only intended for 'box sections'?
Can it be applied by a novice in the driveway or is it best left to a professional with the correct premises / equipement? There was mention of it being pressurised.

In the old days, I would have been under the car with a tin of black sticky goo and an old brush, but things have moved on since then (I hope).

Thanks,

Ian.
2009 XJ8 Sovereign X358 Final Edition 4.2 V8.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Undersealing an XKR

Postby davidr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:17 am

Waxoil is best used as you say in box sections and enclosed areas. Its not durable enough for use on the underside of the body. For that I'd use Schutz underseal.
It is possible to do it yourself but to do it properly you need good access to the underneath of the car (ie a pit or a ramp), an air compressor to apply it properly and the application equipment. You'll also need to thoroughly clean the underside, preferably with a steam cleaner.
Its also one of the messiest jobs known to man!
I've done both my XJS's with 3M Schutz underseal and waxoil in all the sections but I am lucky enough to have access to all the right equipment. I will also do the XKR when the restoration has progressed a bit more.
In the end, its probably a job for a specialist if only to avoid the mess!
Hope that Helps
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

ianoliver57

Member
Posts:261
Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 pm
Location:Tayvallich, Argyll.

Re: Undersealing an XKR

Postby ianoliver57 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks for that, Davidr, you've put me right off now! I did suspect it was going to be a job for a professional, so, might need to grin and bear it and pay the price!
What's the 3M Schutz like to apply? My main concerns are the rear cross member and the inner wing areas.

Regards

Ian.
2009 XJ8 Sovereign X358 Final Edition 4.2 V8.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Undersealing an XKR

Postby davidr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:15 pm

3M Schutz is best applied using a gun on an airline as it gives an even finish. I suppose it can be painted on but I've never tried it that way.
You'll need to strip out all of the wheel arch liners and mask off the wheel arches. In fact, you need to mask off the entire car that you don't want covered in black gooey stuff! The good thing about using an airline is that it vaporises waxoil very well and gets it into all the nooks and crannies. The bad thing is that it does go everywhere so you need to protect the car.

ianoliver57

Member
Posts:261
Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 pm
Location:Tayvallich, Argyll.

Re: Undersealing an XKR

Postby ianoliver57 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks for that. I'll see whats available locally and may just pay to have someone else do it!

Ian.
2009 XJ8 Sovereign X358 Final Edition 4.2 V8.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.

daveji

Member
Posts:336
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:08 am

Re: Undersealing an XKR

Postby daveji » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:56 am

Both my Jaguars were taken up to Worksop to Alan Proctor for his anti-rust treatment before
the Jaguar bodywork warranty expired.
They were stripped of trim, closed box sections were drilled, and treated with Waxoil/Dinotrol as
needed.
The underbody was treated with the appropriate stuff after enclosing the car in plastic.
I have a CD with photo's of the process for each car.
In total each car was at the workshop for a week.
The thing is about this......to do the job properly it needs to be done by a Restorer who knows how the cars are built,and can be trusted to do it right.
Its a messy job and attention to detail is essential.
There are some so called specialists about who will do a quick job which won't last.........
and you really do get what you pay for......
In my view its a job for a Professional........carefully selected of course !

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Undersealing an XKR

Postby davidr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:32 am

Ian - I've just noticed the car you have. As its a 2010 car it will be an alloy body so you're not worried about your car turning into a rot-box in the same way that we owners of steel bodied cars are paranoid about the tin worm eating our pride and joy.
So wax injections into box sections may we'll be irrelevant to you?
Indeed, underseal on the body probably does more to reduce road noise than prevent corrosion?
I'm sorry but I don't know the later cars very well but maybe a greater concern for you will be surface rust on steel subframes etc?

ianoliver57

Member
Posts:261
Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 pm
Location:Tayvallich, Argyll.

Re: Undersealing an XKR

Postby ianoliver57 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:41 am

Good popint. I'll see if I can persuade my local garage to let me have a look underneath on his ramp. It may be just the rear subframe I need to clean up / paint / underseal.

Many thanks,

Ian.
2009 XJ8 Sovereign X358 Final Edition 4.2 V8.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich

Re: Undersealing an XKR

Postby PPV » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

I have sprayed my Mk2 with Dinotrol products and they have lasted over 14 years. I had used waxoyl on previous vehicles but found that Dinotrol 'creeps' better and reseals itself. Worth a look, do not know what others have found.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests