Hi, does any one have the same problem? My car makes a noise like its fitted with a supercharger, a squeal, (not the alternator belt), when I floor the throttle above 2000 rpm. I've been told that the cause is the corrugated air inlet pipe.
My engine is fuel injected so has a long air inlet.
Any one have the same, or now of a cure?
Vernon
Air intake noise
Moderator:jBlackwell
Vernon
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Re: Air intake noise
Sorry Vernon,
I'm still on good old S.U.s and I quite like the induction noise. I will ask Charles if I see him at next Tuesdays BBQ and let you know. I think his engine is an AJ16.
Reg
I'm still on good old S.U.s and I quite like the induction noise. I will ask Charles if I see him at next Tuesdays BBQ and let you know. I think his engine is an AJ16.
Reg
Re: Air intake noise
Thanks,
the noise only occurs after about 3500rpm, throttle open fully,
it's not very loud but it does lessen the normal exhaust song.
I do use the full power that the engine has available.
With only a 3 gear auto box, it does exceed the speed limit in second gear by quite a lot (not that I do that on public roads) .

the noise only occurs after about 3500rpm, throttle open fully,
it's not very loud but it does lessen the normal exhaust song.
I do use the full power that the engine has available.
With only a 3 gear auto box, it does exceed the speed limit in second gear by quite a lot (not that I do that on public roads) .
Vernon
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Re: Air intake noise
Is the car fitted with an air filter(s)?
If not, then I would certainly expect induction roar.
Mike
If not, then I would certainly expect induction roar.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Air intake noise
Yes mike there is an air filler.
I have not checked it to see if it has collapsed or has a hole. I think that must be my next job, thinking about it, it might be the filter making the noise.
Don't know why I hadn't thought of it before.
The air filter is under the offside front wing, I think the wheel has to be removed to access it, when ever I think of looking at it I get the urge to drive it instead, which always wins.
I will investigate the filter, you have motivated me to action.
Thanks
Vernon.
I have not checked it to see if it has collapsed or has a hole. I think that must be my next job, thinking about it, it might be the filter making the noise.
Don't know why I hadn't thought of it before.
The air filter is under the offside front wing, I think the wheel has to be removed to access it, when ever I think of looking at it I get the urge to drive it instead, which always wins.
I will investigate the filter, you have motivated me to action.
Thanks
Vernon.
Vernon
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Re: Air intake noise
Hello Vernon,
Sorry, I didn't go to the BBQ last night so was unable to get any answers for you ( we opened a nice bottle of red at home instead and watched the dark clouds overhead )
I hope you get an answer to your problem.
Reg
Sorry, I didn't go to the BBQ last night so was unable to get any answers for you ( we opened a nice bottle of red at home instead and watched the dark clouds overhead )
I hope you get an answer to your problem.
Reg
Re: Air intake noise
Thanks,
I'm suffering the after effects of a slipped disk,
so any mechanical work will have to wait.
But will investigate the air filter.
Thanks
I'm suffering the after effects of a slipped disk,
so any mechanical work will have to wait.
But will investigate the air filter.
Thanks
Vernon
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Nostalgia Classic 120
Modern S type jag
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

