Wrong filter

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent
Re: Wrong filter

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:56 am

Steve,

Good idea.


David,

Could you possibly post a pic of the JLM664 filter when you get it? I guess you haven't still got the JLM2128 filter?

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Wrong filter

Postby davidr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes - I'll post a picture of the JLM664 when I get it. Unfortunately I don't have the JLM2128 any more - sent it back! However, easy to recognise that it's the wrong one as it has the pick up pipe.
By the way, my sump doesn't have a drain plug although the picture on the JCP site does show one (but we've lost a bit of faith in that!).
On another subject, the same gearbox is used in the Land Rover Discovery but if anyone is tempted to try one of those filters I've already looked and it won't work. The sump on the Discovery is much deeper and there is a pick-up tube and bracket that bolts onto the bottom of the filter. I know this because my wife has one and I changed the filter when it split a pipe and dumped all of its ATF back in the winter!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Wrong filter

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:55 pm

David,

Tks for this. Also, just had a look at my sump and can't see a drain plug either! It's so long since I last changed the auto fluid, I couldn't remember if I had one! Maybe no HP24 boxes have drain plugs?

JCP rang me this morning to say that they were still trying to understand how the problem has happened and mentioned that you had ordered JLM664 filter yesterday. I said that I will let them know when you have successfully fitted it.

Tks again

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

User avatar
Popsjag

Moderator
Posts:415
Joined:Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 pm
Location:Deeside, North Wales

Re: Wrong filter

Postby Popsjag » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:52 pm

HP 24 001.jpg
David & Paul,

With regards to the drain plug (if Jaguar stuck one where it should be!), I have attached 2 diagrams for your perusal.

Steve.
Attachments
HP 22 001.jpg
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Wrong filter

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Steve,

Tks for that. The diagram of the HP24 box is somewhat confusing. The identified item for the drain plug is pointing to a position way too high to be a drain plug for the sump. You couldn't drain the sump from there. It seems to be pointing just to one of the rear sump nuts, doesn't it?

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

User avatar
Popsjag

Moderator
Posts:415
Joined:Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 pm
Location:Deeside, North Wales

Re: Wrong filter

Postby Popsjag » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Yes it does look too high.

I know I partially replenished mine because I had removed the radiator to do the front timing chain tensioners & guides (without taking the head off). I put all the front end back together and thought I would just turn it over to check everything ok - and forgot the torque converter would throw the oil out of the open pipes. Result - 1 drive covered in transmission fluid!! :shock:

She still needs a proper oil & filter change, but if there's no drain plug, I was going to jack the back end up as high as possible and disconnect the filler tube. That should get most of it out, before removing the sump. :)

Steve.
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Wrong filter

Postby poprivet » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:45 pm

The 'Filter' is only a fine metal screen. Very easy to prise open, wash everything in paraffin, dry and crimp shut. Good as new.

These gearboxes were used on many vehicles, some needed different sumps and pick ups due to the particular operational requirements, I'm not suprised things get confused.

Re the drain plug, if someone cant figure that out then quite frankly they shouldn't be playing with spanners.

User avatar
Popsjag

Moderator
Posts:415
Joined:Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 pm
Location:Deeside, North Wales

Re: Wrong filter

Postby Popsjag » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I would have a lot more faith in changing a filter for the correct new item, than taking the old one apart and washing it in paraffin, then putting it back.

Oh, hang on a minute - I can't do either because I can't find the drain plug!!
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Wrong filter

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Pop,

Tks for the info on the internals of that filter. How difficult is to uncrimp and then seal it back properly?


Steve,

If you've got one, you'd get more oil out using a compressor-driven oil extractor with a pipe pushed down the dipstick tube to extract as much of the warm fluid as possible before dropping the sump. I intend to do my fluid next month and that's how I'll do the initial drain.

The parts catalogue is indeed confusing re. the sumps. The diagrams show sump plugs on the side of the box and part numbers for the plugs for the XJS, but we think they must have stopped using them when they switched to the HP24 box. The x300 diagrams also show sump plugs but the parts listing says there are some sumps without plugs (even 3.2 models) and some with plugs!

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Wrong filter

Postby poprivet » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:03 am

Its not really a filter, just a strainer similar to an engine sump pick up to prevent any large lumps getting through. The magnet catches most of the rubbish.

When I cleaned mine it didn't have anything in it other then the fine black mud that lightly coats everything inside the gearbox. I imagine if it were catching anything larger then there is a major terminal internal fault anyway.

The V12 HE gearbox doesnt have a drain plug either, never has been a problem, just undo the nut on the dipstick tube. You need to do that anyway to release the sump.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Wrong filter

Postby davidr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:48 pm

New filter arrived today. This is a genuine JLM664. It looks right to me. I'll go and fit it this evening if she who must be obeyed allows me out to play!


Sorry - for some reason all my photos have appeared on the site upside down. Bloody computers!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Wrong filter

Postby davidr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Have now fitted the new filter and it fits! So it would appear that JLM664 is the right part for the late 4.0 ltr cars
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Wrong filter

Postby davidr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 pm

A few photos
Attachments
image.jpg
Underside. new on left, old on right
image.jpg
New filter on left, old on right
image.jpg
Old filter on the car
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests