Mirrors - new (for me) discovery

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

Orkney

Moderator
Posts:249
Joined:Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:14 pm
Location:Orkney Isles
Contact:
Mirrors - new (for me) discovery

Postby Orkney » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Hello folks,
Back in the early 90's I had a Rover 820 and one useful facility was that when you selected reverse, the left hand mirror dipped automatically for reversing round corners. Well.... I was messing around with my XJ8 the other day, which is quite a lowly model according the build data but has electric front seats and powerfold photochromic (all 3) mirrors but no memory seats/mirrors etc. When I select reverse and have the rocker switch in the left hand position one touch on the back of the round button sends the mirror fully down and another touch on the forward part sends it back to its original position. This facility is nowhere to be found in any of the handbooks - perhaps you all know about it but I was pleased to find it!
Regards,

Ian :D

Orkney

Moderator
Posts:249
Joined:Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:14 pm
Location:Orkney Isles
Contact:

Re: Mirrors - new (for me) discovery

Postby Orkney » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 pm

On further investigation it doesn't matter which side is selected, it always dips the left mirror when reverse is selected and the round black button is momentarily pressed at the back edge - and another thing! It automatically sends the mirror back to its original position when you move the selector out of reverse - good innit? Is this the same on the XK's I wonder?

Ian

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: Mirrors - new (for me) discovery

Postby Brakebuster » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 pm

yup

good aint it, lol

it is mentioned in the owners manual , but you have to look hard to find it

enjoy all the other hidden toys ( like auto lights with the mirror pack )

BB :wink:
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Re: Mirrors - new (for me) discovery

Postby joejag308 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:09 am

The biggest let down on my ancient Daimler Super 8, the noisy , made for a lorry , retractable wing mirrors, my wifes Honda jazz has the most smooth quiet running wing mirrors you could wish for, ..........the Daimler mirrors have a mind of there own, they do exactly what they want to do,when they want anywhere anytime...........if I have to retract them (manually) then re position them I have to physically get out of the car and stop them at the centre position as they just over ride the central locking position and either go fully up to the top or come back down to the lower position.......... whenever I get them into a central position I select the memory save button, that locks in the seating selection, the steering wheel position, the headrests and allegedly the wing mirror settings.....all these items work except the lousy wing mirrors.....
Anyone had this problem? anyone rectified this problem ?....its driving me nuts.....Joe

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: Mirrors - new (for me) discovery

Postby Brakebuster » Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 am

yes

they are broken


seriously , the mechanisme inside has been pushed past the stops , and has broken off the inner metal parts , thats why they will open all the way out and not stop untill they hit the bodywork to stop or they bind up on themselves

its usually peeps pushing past the mirrors , and forcing them back into position that breaks them , if forcd in , they should be reset with the buttons , and not forced round by hand

replacement is the only repair

BB :(
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Re: Mirrors - new (for me) discovery

Postby joejag308 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 am

BB thanks once again, I do manage to use the dam things after setting them if I leave them alone, however in car parks I tend to retract them .....that's when the problems occur....I do have to literally stop them by hand....so it looks like some new equipment, as the old bus is 14 yrs old now...I posted about the deadlock chirrup disappearing too, along with the automatic wiper function not working (the automatic headlight function works) are these fused or is it another loom problem.......I tend to leave the electrics alone but its nattering .....Joe

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: Mirrors - new (for me) discovery

Postby Brakebuster » Mon May 13, 2013 11:42 am

the auto wipers can be the stalk on the column, the switch breaks a wire, they can be repaired , but are cheap ( used ) and easy to replace , just make sure you havnt turned it out of auto mode first

the locks could be a stuck rear lock switch , this prevents the locks from deadlocking, so check for all doors and boot locks working before proceeding any further


BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests