Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

User avatar
TABBEII
Posts:29
Joined:Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 pm
Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby TABBEII » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:46 pm

I'm thinking about spending £34.99 for the Jaguar SatNav 2012 upgrade disk for the S-Type, as sold on www.satnavi.com

My 2008 STR still uses the original factory SatNav map-set, which has led me astray a few times because new roads have been built since the map-set was installed.

Has anyone had experience with SatNav upgrade disks, or www.satnavi.com products?

the paw

A10MKS
Posts:3
Joined:Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby A10MKS » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:32 am

Am interested to know if you upgraded. My 2003 model STR satnav chooses some absurd local routes using main roads when side roads are a third of the distance. Incidentally, do you ever get a dashboard message saying "DSC" not available ?

User avatar
TABBEII
Posts:29
Joined:Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby TABBEII » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Am interested to know if you upgraded. My 2003 model STR satnav chooses some absurd local routes using main roads when side roads are a third of the distance. Incidentally, do you ever get a dashboard message saying "DSC" not available ?

My 2008 STR SatNav diverted us off-course in NW Wales (where we've never been before) when we were driving from Plymouth to Hollyhead. The SatNav didn't have the right route for the rebuilt A55. I was ashamed of myself for letting the SatNav convince me to get off the right route, because without the SatNav, if I'd used the seat of my pants, or a paper-map, which have served me well for 56 years, I would've stayed on the right route and got to Hollyhead at least 10 minutes sooner than we did.

My wife loves the SatNav. Given it has a girls voice, I suspect it's all part of the subversive motherhood movement to take over mankind. My wife can't navigate her way out of a paper-bag, so she likes the car telling us which way to go. Otherwise she has to rely 100% on me, which she hates.

I'm being forced to buy £35 disk and try it out. A "money back guarantee" is offered, so the risk is low.

Will share the experience with the group.

the paw
Last edited by TABBEII on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TABBEII
Posts:29
Joined:Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby TABBEII » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Am interested to know if you upgraded. My 2003 model STR satnav chooses some absurd local routes using main roads when side roads are a third of the distance. Incidentally, do you ever get a dashboard message saying "DSC" not available ?
No, I've never got a "DSC" not available message...

Blueborin
Posts:31
Joined:Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby Blueborin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi ,
I Updated my S-Type 07 Satnav DVD with a disc from SATNAVUPDATES. Great service well priced and reliable. Loaded and works without problems.

regards

Robin

User avatar
redcat
Posts:40
Joined:Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:07 pm
Location:Durham

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby redcat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 pm

I have to wonder what the difference is between manufacturers' discs. The lady who speaks to me on my 06 S-type satnav is the same lady who directed me in my 05 Saab.

Redcat

User avatar
TABBEII
Posts:29
Joined:Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby TABBEII » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Gee - You'd think a Saab would have a Swedish accent...

Harvey
Posts:2
Joined:Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby Harvey » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:39 pm

I bought a satnavupdates disc after reading that someone had installed one( in the JEC mag I think).Installed it with some trepidation but it works fine, I seem to have better resolution on the display too. However it isn't entirely up to date but I suppose that's to be expected.
Just be aware though you might get a "not recognised" message because it defaulted the maps to Belgium ( first in alphabetical order), easily reset though.
regards

JohnMc50

Member
Posts:17
Joined:Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby JohnMc50 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi TABE11. I have a 2011-2012 disc if you would like me to send to you, see if it improves your nav, been installed in mine and works fine. Just let me know, may save you a few pennies. :D
John.

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Iv'e had a look at these discs on ebay but the Denso serial number does not match the one on my system. Any thoughts?

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

jeff1954
Posts:719
Joined:Mon May 31, 2010 2:56 pm
Location:Stockport

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 pm

No response there then!
Anyway I was reading through the sat nav manual the other week, when I came across the bit abo
ut re-calibration. I went through the procedure and the system seems to work as it should.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.

Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2

johnnewzealand
Posts:13
Joined:Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:44 am
Location:New Zealand

Re: Satellite Navigation Upgrade

Postby johnnewzealand » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:42 am

In the process of buying a 2004 S-type (new to Japan Jaguar, imported to New Zealand 2013), which has Sat. Nav. system, but not for N.Z.
Looks like you buy/insert a 'disc' for "your" country - do you have to get it installed by a Jag. agency, or can you do it yourself on buying the disc?
Also, it has a "TV" button, on the screen, which at the moment just shows "snow/static". Can you program this to "your" country TV system?
Quite prepared to have the Jag. agency look into this, but, would appreciate any comments first.
Brgds., johnnewzealand.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests