rusty wheel arch/cill

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall
rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:55 am

HELP! I have just discovered rust (or my local bodyshop has) on the forward section of the rear wheel arch running forward in the cill almost up to the seam (joint). Having had the wheel arches repaired and sprayed two years ago this is quite devastating but the quick question is - are pre-formed sections available to replace the lower cill/front of rear wheel arch without having to rely on manufacturing from sheet steel.
From what I am told this is the beginning of the end as no guarantees are available once repaired due to the complexity of the folded skin construction in this area ("once it starts to go it will continue even after repair") :evil:
I am going to persevere and give it one last chance but does anybody have any experience of this work being carried out successfully without looking like a Top Gear creation?

User avatar
XjRestorations
Posts:216
Joined:Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm
Location:East Sussex
Contact:

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby XjRestorations » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi,

I am sure that repair sections are available - try Manners or SNG.
I am unsure why this should mean the begining of the end?
A proper repair - with corrosion cut out and new metal welded in place - properly - with good anti corrosive weld through primers used, properly sealed and waxed should leave a repair that will last a LONG time.

Kind regards,
Keith

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Well these are the first positive words I've heard this last two weeks concerning the Jag. Where are you based Keith? I have a body shop who have commenced this work pm today but I am somewhat nervous about the end result. The new steelwork will be hand formed and spot welded. I must admit I am trying to do this without new rear quarter panels, which would be too much for my pocket, but did not think it would be so difficult to win some enthusiasm for the work. If it does not work out it would be nice to discover a venue with appetite and experience.

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby Nik » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi Painter ,
Tony at Paragon Design has both the repair panels and expertise to sort this problem out , it may be worth while giving him a call ??

All the best ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:01 am

Hi Nik,
they certainly do, and at a reasonable price. Thanks for that. I should have 'posted' prior to taking to body shop. (I thought it was just the wheel arch that needed doing). I was too late to purchase the formed sections from Paragon, the bodyshop are well underway and having seen the work in progress I have much more confidence in the end result.
They are taking photos as they progress so that I can post on here. They did say they found wet sand/muck inside the cill section. How the :?: :?: can that get in there. Anyway I think this must be followed by a careful clean off and Waxoyl underside + regular checks.

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 pm

well I have some photos illustrating the horrors of tinworm, is there an easy way of posting these
onto the forum as an illustration of 'what could be lurking behind' :shock: without breaking the bytes bank. (I think there are 17 photos)
One interesting point, as can be seen on the floor in one of these photos an awful lot of muck can find its way into the gap between the two skins. I couldn't imagine how but apparently the top radius of the wheel arch liner (rear) did not quite meet the return lip of the wheel arch (and I am advised probably never did) and muck/moisture found its way through this gap.
Worth checking as it would appear to be another weakness in manufacture. The build up of moisture is released by a small drain hole in the underside of cill, (and this is easily blocked with an underseal application), but the damp muck settles and eats away. This is not evident on the photos but can be easily inspected on the car with a mirror after cleaning out with a brush.
The bodyshop did not taken any photos of the finished article, but it is now as new in this area on both sides. (can provide these if anybody wishes to see)

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby Nik » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi Painter ,
Glad it's now sorted :D
Best way to post your photos , open up a free Photobucket account , upload you piccies from your computer to the Photobucket account and copy/paste the links into your post , sorted ,

Hope this helps

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:16 am

Hi Nik,
thanks for that, although not sure where 'photobucket' is found. I think I can post 6 replies each with 3 photos (max. per post) of recommended size. Is this allowed on the forum or would this be considered excessive?

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby Nik » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Just Google "Photobucket" :wink: it's easy to use and fast !!!!

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:20 pm

will try the jec guide to attachments, hope they come through.
Batch 1.
WP_000070.jpg
WP_000071.jpg
WP_000072.jpg
next three on next post?

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 pm

next 3
WP_000073.jpg
WP_000074.jpg
WP_000080.jpg

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:28 pm

WP_000083.jpg
WP_000084.jpg
WP_000086.jpg

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 pm

WP_000087.jpg
WP_000088.jpg
WP_000089.jpg

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby painter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:41 pm

88 shows some of the rubbish that came out.
last 2 - not in order but no trial to sort. The cut away sections reveal the inner skin condition which although repaired was not so bad.
WP_000090.jpg
WP_000092.jpg
well thats it, hope nobody gets to see this on their pride and joy but at least it can be sorted.
If I am allowed to plug the body shop who carried out this work, It was Marks Auto Body Repairs in Helston, Cornwall on 01326 565747 (Justin Paul) They have my recommendation.
(if not you'll be non the wiser)

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: rusty wheel arch/cill

Postby mike020150 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:51 am

Writing as someone with zero bodywork skills, the moral of the story is get underneath early and protect vulnerable areas and if rust has already started, don't delay, get it removed as soon as possible. Just like human bodies, prevention is better than cure and if it's too late for prevention, early surgery is more cost effective than waiting until the body is dropping to bits! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest