My 3.6 restoration

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

barefoot
Posts:13
Joined:Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:41 pm
My 3.6 restoration

Postby barefoot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:04 pm

I have now just about finished my 1990 XJS 3.6 Sport that I bought about 12 months ago for £550 off eBay. I did not want a V12 I prefer the overall driving experience of the smaller engine car especially the handling. It had some tax and a few months MOT I bought it without seeing it which is typical for me but I was going to restore the car and at £550 I thought it was well worth it from the pictures and info I had on the car. I knew it needed a new front offside wing the paint was poor there was some rust issues and the head needed fixing. The interior was in a bad state typical stuff like roof lining, water ingress, warn leather etc.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

First thing was to strip the car internally and all the external fittings including all the glass to see what the shell was like, the arches had rust parts of the sills and rear bumper areas, the bottom of the front screen and in the corners of the rear one. The front wing was shot as I knew but to be fair the rest of the car was very good. I bought a 2nd hand front wing and sent the car off to be welded and sprayed the same colour as my Mark 2 a Range Rover metallic BRG.
I took the head off one bolt was sheared and sent it away to be restored and unleaded. I bought a new radiator and air con rad cleaned the engine bay sorted out some wiring issues and put a K&N filter on. I needed some new chrome bits new front/rear bumper quarters a new window motor electric aerial etc etc. I used Heritage eBay and Grublogger who was very helpful and knows his stuff.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... d=0CCQQFjA...
Once painted the rebuild started which was a lot harder than stripping it down! I put all new rubbers in for the glass a new HRW as the original was kaput, I bought some different alloys with P6000 tyres. I bought a new head liner board that I had covered in the same green leather as the seats and a fair bit of other trim. I modified the rear side panels to take a bigger speaker by getting rid of the cubby holes and re trimmed them with the green leather. I bought a new ski slope with matching Speedo elm wood while I had the Speedo out I put in bigger bulbs and painted the rev counter/Speedo needles white as they had faded. I bought a Momo wheel with hub which I had the green leather covered instead of the original black. The door cards and full carpet set including the boot came from Aldridge trimming and the original cream leather on the seats under dash etc was re coloured. The front seatbelts were replaced with new ones and the sun visors got covered in the green leather.
After a lot of time and effort it was starting to look like a car again I had a Pioneer IPod head unit plus amp with a central locking alarm fitted and the air con re gassed. It finally went for its MOT which it failed having holes/rusty front sub frame rear shocks and the brakes losing pressure. So dropped the front sub frame which was beyond economical repair I bought a reconditioned one and a new sphere for the brakes which cured the air leak. While the sub frame was out I had new wheel bearings fitted m I have also put in a reverse sensor kit that works through the rear view mirror.
Image
Image
Image
It drives great it is quicker than I expected very smooth and relaxing to drive cruising at *** is a doddle feeling like 80 and it makes a great sound on full throttle with the K&N fitted and the front part of the air box removed to allow more air to be sucked in. I have not done my figures so I don’t know how much I have spent altogether but I will not be that much out of pocket if I ever sell it in time I might even make a profit.

A few before and afters:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

jonc3725
Posts:73
Joined:Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:55 pm
Location:PLYMOUTH,DEVON

Re: My 3.6 restoration

Postby jonc3725 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:56 am

Nice one buddy,
Wow 12 months!!!!!!
My 3.6 took me 8 years and Im still not happy with it. I fell out of love with it last year, then moved house so she has sat in the garage since her last MOT. Decided to lift the covers on her a couple of weeks ago
Image
Image

Moving was not kind on her as I left the passenger side window open on her when we moved and before I built the new garage she was left outside (oh the mess in the car!). Then the cat got into the roof of the new garage and some wood stored in the roof fell on the bonnet :evil: Still decided to give her some TLC now so hopefully we will find love again between the two of us. If not she's going :twisted:
1986 3.6 MANUAL (WAHOO FINISHED FULL RESTORATION!!!!!!!!!)

1998 MK IV TOYOTA SUPRA TT VVTI

LIVING THE DREAM

barefoot
Posts:13
Joined:Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:41 pm

Re: My 3.6 restoration

Postby barefoot » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:06 am

Good luck don't give up on it !


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests