Upgrade vs originality?

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

User avatar
greensimonc

Member
Posts:106
Joined:Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:10 pm
Upgrade vs originality?

Postby greensimonc » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Having only bought my E-type last year I'm about to give it a full service so that I can be confident of when any particular item was last done. I also want to upgrade the front brakes - both Coopercraft and SNG Barratt are around £400 - I favour Coopercraft as it seems to be a popular choice - am I right?

I also noticed in SNGB a spin-on oil conversion kit which is around £90 vs £3.60 for a new filter!

However, thinking about both of these set me wondering if upgrading things like this has any bearing on future value - not that I'm thinking of selling, but would it be wiser to keep the car as original as possible?

Cheers, Simon.
'66 E Type Series 1, 4.2l 2+2 Auto
MY23 E Pace P300e R Dynamic SE AWD PHEV
Tiger Cat E1
gone and much missed:
'63 reg XF Sportbrake 3.0 v6 Diesel S Premium Luxury

User avatar
Geordie
Posts:69
Joined:Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:29 pm
Location:Sherfield English

Re: Upgrade vs originality?

Postby Geordie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Simon,

I bought mine just before Xmas the previous owner had changed the oil filter for a spin on and since I have upgraded the brakes to Coopercraft and fitted a SU electronic fuel pump - (which still ticks). Vehicle valued for £8k more than I bought it for, so in answer to your question sympathetic upgrades for everyday driving are always appreciated by the (new) owner :)
Steve
Range Rover TDV8 called "Reggie"
Discovery 4 Commercial called "Dudley"

stuarthardy

Member
Posts:488
Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
Location:North Shropshire

Re: Upgrade vs originality?

Postby stuarthardy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 pm

I agree with Geordie.

My car, when its finished (3.8 FHC), will have a T5 5 speed gearbox, Series 2 rear brakes, Watjag front brake/geometry conversion, Aston Martin wheels and the biggest conversion of all - LHD to RHD. Oh and external and internal colour changes too.

Apart from the cosmetic changes, which can be viewed as for vanity purposes, these are sympathetic upgrades intended to enhance the driving experience. I don't imagine any adverse effect on value but I am retaining all the original parts so that the car can be set back to original if a subsequent owner decides they want to.

Its your car and you can do whatever you want to it. Apart from the wheels my car will look perfectly standard and that's how I want it.

I do have reservations about the spin on filter conversions though. I understand that they don't filter as much oil as the standard set up and I will be leaving mine alone here.

Regards
Stuart

1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR

sean

Member
Posts:15
Joined:Fri May 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Re: Upgrade vs originality?

Postby sean » Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 pm

I agree with both upgrades but I would always keep the old parts as some may want total originality

PhilBell

Member
Posts:34
Joined:Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Upgrade vs originality?

Postby PhilBell » Thu May 03, 2012 1:52 pm

My approach is to upgrade where there are deficiencies in the original design but otherwise to try to retain as much of the original feel and cosmetic appeal as possible.

When i bought my 1962 coupe two years ago it already had Coopercraft front brakes and an aluminium radiator with Kenlowe, both of which work well.

It also had a tubular exhaust manifold and half-in wider wire wheels, which do look good although I would have kept these standard if it were my restoration, particularly the wheels so I could have run original width tyres to retain the period steering feel and more progressive grip brakeaway.

Mine still has the original oil filter design which I don't find too much of a fiddle. I'd read that the adaptor plate for spin-on conversions restricts oil flow so I'm not inclined to upgrade.

Whatever upgrades you do, I'd recommend keeping the old parts in case you have a change of heart in the future.

User avatar
XjRestorations
Posts:216
Joined:Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm
Location:East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Upgrade vs originality?

Postby XjRestorations » Thu May 03, 2012 8:15 pm

These all sound like very sensible upgrades to make the car more practicle to enjoy.
You will get better filtration with a spin on filter - so that is an instant plus. The Coopercraft brakes are a great addition that can be changed back to standard if required.
The mods you are talking about are pretty much expected nowadays. Its not as if you are talking about installing a V8 and 24" rear wheels :-)
Theya re great UPGRADES :-)

Cheers,
Keith

User avatar
greensimonc

Member
Posts:106
Joined:Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Upgrade vs originality?

Postby greensimonc » Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi - thanks, very interesting comments. I've had the Coopercraft brakes and spin on oil filter done - if no-one wants the old bits I shall do as suggested and tuck them away in a corner of my garage! Stainless steel exhaust is next on the list.....

Cheers, Simon.
'66 E Type Series 1, 4.2l 2+2 Auto
MY23 E Pace P300e R Dynamic SE AWD PHEV
Tiger Cat E1
gone and much missed:
'63 reg XF Sportbrake 3.0 v6 Diesel S Premium Luxury


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests