On my 2002 S type R the brake lights are sticking on after application, I have narrowed it down to the actual pedal, it does not return the last fraction of an inch. By putting my foot onder and pulling up on the pedalthe brake lights go out although the pedal hardly moves.
I have located the blue and white plastic micro switch on the pedal but am unable to see any adjustment, would you be so kind as to tell if it is adjustable and how to do it.
Thank you
Mike H
Brake lights
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
Mike,
I`ve not had this one before.
I wonder if the pedal is sticking on the fulcum. Might be worth a small squirt of WD40 to see if a tight or sticky spot could be eased. Perhaps check also for a broken return spring.
Having satisfied yourself that the pedal function is correct, then, given the syptoms you describe, perhaps the switch has developed a fault. It sounds as if it has not been designed to be adjusted. I`m asuming that you have previously enjoyed satisfactory operation from the switch without problems. It might be worth dismounting the switch from the pedal box and operating it by hand to check its function. Help from an assistant or a mirror may help at this point.
If the switch is sticky, it may be time to replace it. Switch cleaner may help but somehow I doubt it.
it is worth a call to a good breaker such as Eurojag. Their parts are excellent quality, guaranteed, and considerably less in cost than buying new. You will find them most helpful.
Perhaps when you have the car operating again correctly, you could please let us know what the fault was. It is always good to know the out come of a query such as yours.
Definately a question to be asked at the S-type seminar at Castle Bromwich on 20th March.
Mike Kennedy. S-type co-ordinator.
I`ve not had this one before.
I wonder if the pedal is sticking on the fulcum. Might be worth a small squirt of WD40 to see if a tight or sticky spot could be eased. Perhaps check also for a broken return spring.
Having satisfied yourself that the pedal function is correct, then, given the syptoms you describe, perhaps the switch has developed a fault. It sounds as if it has not been designed to be adjusted. I`m asuming that you have previously enjoyed satisfactory operation from the switch without problems. It might be worth dismounting the switch from the pedal box and operating it by hand to check its function. Help from an assistant or a mirror may help at this point.
If the switch is sticky, it may be time to replace it. Switch cleaner may help but somehow I doubt it.
it is worth a call to a good breaker such as Eurojag. Their parts are excellent quality, guaranteed, and considerably less in cost than buying new. You will find them most helpful.
Perhaps when you have the car operating again correctly, you could please let us know what the fault was. It is always good to know the out come of a query such as yours.
Definately a question to be asked at the S-type seminar at Castle Bromwich on 20th March.
Mike Kennedy. S-type co-ordinator.
Brake lights
Hi Mike
Thanks for your quick reply, i have had a good look under the dash at the pedal box and cant see how to remove the switch, i am sure i will be able to figure it out and i will let you know what the remedie is when I have solved the problem.
I will pose the question at the Semina on the 20th March as i will be attending.
kindest Regards
Mike Holyoake
I have just had another problem with the gear box I will post it in the gearbox section.
Thanks for your quick reply, i have had a good look under the dash at the pedal box and cant see how to remove the switch, i am sure i will be able to figure it out and i will let you know what the remedie is when I have solved the problem.
I will pose the question at the Semina on the 20th March as i will be attending.
kindest Regards
Mike Holyoake
I have just had another problem with the gear box I will post it in the gearbox section.
Sorry I can`t help further with this problem.
Glad to hear you will be at the seminar. It is a session not to be missed. Look forward to your lunch. You won`t be disappointed.
For others reading this post, tickets are still available from Nigel for £60.
The seminar running order covers a large cross section of common faults and fixes together with close examination of parts and a question and answer session. Mr Marks leads us on the day and you will come away with a huge grin on your face. that I promise you.
Mike
Glad to hear you will be at the seminar. It is a session not to be missed. Look forward to your lunch. You won`t be disappointed.
For others reading this post, tickets are still available from Nigel for £60.
The seminar running order covers a large cross section of common faults and fixes together with close examination of parts and a question and answer session. Mr Marks leads us on the day and you will come away with a huge grin on your face. that I promise you.
Mike
Hi Mike
I have removed the switch, A sort of bayonet type locking device holds it in place. there doesnt appear to be any adjustment on the switch, and it seems to function normally. I have liberally sqirted WD 40 around the pedal fulcrums.
The switch is a Ford part and has a very small part No stamped on it making it unreadable, i am looking for the magnifying glass to read it.
The part is fairly reasonable in price from my local Jaguar dealer at £18.61, needless to say I have one on order and should receive the same on Monday.
Watch this space.
Kindest Regards
Mike H
I have removed the switch, A sort of bayonet type locking device holds it in place. there doesnt appear to be any adjustment on the switch, and it seems to function normally. I have liberally sqirted WD 40 around the pedal fulcrums.
The switch is a Ford part and has a very small part No stamped on it making it unreadable, i am looking for the magnifying glass to read it.
The part is fairly reasonable in price from my local Jaguar dealer at £18.61, needless to say I have one on order and should receive the same on Monday.
Watch this space.
Kindest Regards
Mike H
This kept me awake last night!
The sticky brake lights AND the gearbox difficulties could well be interlinked. Remember you have to put your foot on the brakes to allow the selector to be moved from Park to Reverse, Nutral and Drive?
I have a suspicion that that switch is the culprit.
Interesting to see if that is the case.
Mike
The sticky brake lights AND the gearbox difficulties could well be interlinked. Remember you have to put your foot on the brakes to allow the selector to be moved from Park to Reverse, Nutral and Drive?
I have a suspicion that that switch is the culprit.
Interesting to see if that is the case.
Mike
Hi Mike
We changed the brake light switch and it all worked well for a while, now the brake light comes on as before and goes off with a foot under the pedal, it now also causes the brakes to stick on untill the pedal is lifted slightly and they release. the car has just come off a service where the brake fluid was changed. the garage now thinks that it it might be the Servo failing.
Any thoughts
Kindest Rewgards
Mike H
We changed the brake light switch and it all worked well for a while, now the brake light comes on as before and goes off with a foot under the pedal, it now also causes the brakes to stick on untill the pedal is lifted slightly and they release. the car has just come off a service where the brake fluid was changed. the garage now thinks that it it might be the Servo failing.
Any thoughts
Kindest Rewgards
Mike H
Phew! Just when you thought it could not get any worse.
I don`t suppose there is a broken pedal return spring stopping the pedal from lifting to the fully up and off position?
First case I`ve heard of with servo failure, although perhaps not the first time to occur. Lets hope you get it fixed in time to use the car to come to the seminar next saturday.
Would be good if you could bring any broken parts with you for display.
Keep us updated on what you discover.
Look forward to meeting you Mike.
Mike
I don`t suppose there is a broken pedal return spring stopping the pedal from lifting to the fully up and off position?
First case I`ve heard of with servo failure, although perhaps not the first time to occur. Lets hope you get it fixed in time to use the car to come to the seminar next saturday.
Would be good if you could bring any broken parts with you for display.
Keep us updated on what you discover.
Look forward to meeting you Mike.
Mike
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
