I've been wondering how many manual XJRs were produced, are any figures available or has anyone done any research?
XJR Manual Gearbox production figures
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
-
ChrisDixon
- Posts:330
- Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
- Location:Kent
Chris
'95 XJR Manual
'86 XJ-SC 3.6 Manual
'95 XJR Manual
'86 XJ-SC 3.6 Manual
Chris, a question i've been trying to find out for years!!!
I understand that Jaguar did not seperate out manual/auto figures, so the only way is to go through all the production figures one by one if you fancy it!!
Rumours are rife as to numbers from a low 51 or 52, which in fairness is the number I have had in my head for years from a very good source, to a high of 300, but 90 seems to be the current flavour of the month
There is a seperate register kept by myself and another member, there are 22 known RHD cars as we speak, that we can confrim, either by sighting in the flesh, ownership, proof of past ownership or documented adverts. (and I've had three of these!!)
It was thought that LHD XJR manuals were a myth, but we now know of three for definite
Whatever the figure, they are a rare beast indeed, especially when you consider the standard car on offer when new was the manual, auto was a no cost option as it was through the 40 and 300 range (except V12's). The dealers never attempted to sell them, because they knew they would be difficult to sell when thay came back as a trade in
If you want a copy of the register drop me a private message with your email, which i may already have of course and I'll forward it to you
I understand that Jaguar did not seperate out manual/auto figures, so the only way is to go through all the production figures one by one if you fancy it!!
Rumours are rife as to numbers from a low 51 or 52, which in fairness is the number I have had in my head for years from a very good source, to a high of 300, but 90 seems to be the current flavour of the month
There is a seperate register kept by myself and another member, there are 22 known RHD cars as we speak, that we can confrim, either by sighting in the flesh, ownership, proof of past ownership or documented adverts. (and I've had three of these!!)
It was thought that LHD XJR manuals were a myth, but we now know of three for definite
Whatever the figure, they are a rare beast indeed, especially when you consider the standard car on offer when new was the manual, auto was a no cost option as it was through the 40 and 300 range (except V12's). The dealers never attempted to sell them, because they knew they would be difficult to sell when thay came back as a trade in
If you want a copy of the register drop me a private message with your email, which i may already have of course and I'll forward it to you
-
ChrisDixon
- Posts:330
- Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
- Location:Kent
Rob, thanks for the reply. Whilst at the NEC classic show I spoke to a guy on the JDHT stand (Anders?) who does the heritage certificates. He told me that the manual cars can be identified through the VIN no, I think he said the 9th digit (6th if you ignore SAJ) is 7 for RHD manual cars. I asked him if he had a searchable database for all the VINs but he said not. JDHT have access to the paper records (as Bleasie from the XJS forum can testify having spent years on an off going through them to locate every Cabriolet record), but I think they can only look up an individual VIN on the Jag system.
Assuming that the Jag records sit on a database all we need to do is find someone there who could run a query on the relevant digit of the VIN. Do you have any contacts there or would it be best to enqire via JDHT?
Regards, Chris
Assuming that the Jag records sit on a database all we need to do is find someone there who could run a query on the relevant digit of the VIN. Do you have any contacts there or would it be best to enqire via JDHT?
Regards, Chris
Chris
'95 XJR Manual
'86 XJ-SC 3.6 Manual
'95 XJR Manual
'86 XJ-SC 3.6 Manual
I have quoted the supposed figures before, but here's a thought just over 6000 XJR6's were built, if we use the rule that only 5% of jaguars left the factory with a manual box, that gives us around 300 cars
taking into account that most buyers of the XJR would spec it up my guess is that few went for the manual option, which i reckon will drop it well below the 300 mark
Also remember if you look in the sales brochure at the time, the standard XJR was advertised with a manual box
My current car is a base XJR if there is such a thing, it does not have a single option fitted, wise man who bought it first then!!
taking into account that most buyers of the XJR would spec it up my guess is that few went for the manual option, which i reckon will drop it well below the 300 mark
Also remember if you look in the sales brochure at the time, the standard XJR was advertised with a manual box
My current car is a base XJR if there is such a thing, it does not have a single option fitted, wise man who bought it first then!!
-
PhilippeHolland
- Posts:2
- Joined:Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 am
My current car is a base XJR if there is such a thing, it does not have a single option fitted, wise man who bought it first then!!
Hello to all, I also have a 'base' model RHD manual XJR that (I'm sorry) is donating its engine/box/ECUs and a host of other parts to an engineless 1969 Aston Martin DBS. I was so saddened about the thought of dismantling this car that when a LHD 97 XJR in the same colour came up for sale, I just had to have it to console myself!
Regards
Philippe (Paris)
Hello to all, I also have a 'base' model RHD manual XJR that (I'm sorry) is donating its engine/box/ECUs and a host of other parts to an engineless 1969 Aston Martin DBS. I was so saddened about the thought of dismantling this car that when a LHD 97 XJR in the same colour came up for sale, I just had to have it to console myself!
Regards
Philippe (Paris)
-
ChrisDixon
- Posts:330
- Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
- Location:Kent
My current car is a base XJR if there is such a thing, it does not have a single option fitted, wise man who bought it first then!!
Hello to all, I also have a 'base' model RHD manual XJR that (I'm sorry) is donating its engine/box/ECUs and a host of other parts to an engineless 1969 Aston Martin DBS. I was so saddened about the thought of dismantling this car that when a LHD 97 XJR in the same colour came up for sale, I just had to have it to console myself!
Regards
Philippe (Paris)
Phillipe
we must be chatting on another forum too!!!
Rob
Hello to all, I also have a 'base' model RHD manual XJR that (I'm sorry) is donating its engine/box/ECUs and a host of other parts to an engineless 1969 Aston Martin DBS. I was so saddened about the thought of dismantling this car that when a LHD 97 XJR in the same colour came up for sale, I just had to have it to console myself!
Regards
Philippe (Paris)
Phillipe
we must be chatting on another forum too!!!
Rob
Manual XJR (XJ40)
I recently owned a manual 'H' reg'd manual XJR fully spec'd with all options. I sold it to a chap in North London, who later offered it for sale on Ebay. The guy I bought it from, was from N. Yorkshire, and had been told that there were 5 factory manual cars, for the Motor show that year,(1990?) and all were similarly optioned. The defining identifying feature of my old car and apparently the other 4, was that they were all in Signal red, with the Jaguarsport doeskin(?) interiors, full power,heated, and piped in red.
I drove the car to France and back as well as up and down to Yorkshire from London, and to Bath and back. The car was a real eye opener as far as performance was concerned, compared to the automatic version of which I have 3 here in Canada. I am also the proud owner of 1 of the 22 converted XJ40s done in 1989 by LISTER (AP Automotive). I am led to believe that only 7 of these cars survive. The figures I had heard, as far as the manual equipped XJR XJ40s was something of the order of 70 cars, one of the last being a 1994 registered car in that Morroccan red colour.
I would be interested in learning anything more about these cars, as they are unfortunately fast disappearing, and are only lately being appreciated for what they are, surely the modern equivalent of the famed Coombs MkII?
I drove the car to France and back as well as up and down to Yorkshire from London, and to Bath and back. The car was a real eye opener as far as performance was concerned, compared to the automatic version of which I have 3 here in Canada. I am also the proud owner of 1 of the 22 converted XJ40s done in 1989 by LISTER (AP Automotive). I am led to believe that only 7 of these cars survive. The figures I had heard, as far as the manual equipped XJR XJ40s was something of the order of 70 cars, one of the last being a 1994 registered car in that Morroccan red colour.
I would be interested in learning anything more about these cars, as they are unfortunately fast disappearing, and are only lately being appreciated for what they are, surely the modern equivalent of the famed Coombs MkII?
agreed, so much is said about XJR300, that the XJR 40 often gets overlooked, I had the chance of an L reg single airbag car with manual gearbox some years ago, Signal Red, Black leather piped in Red, ex course car at Knockhill race circuit, sadly at that time out of my price range, it sold very quickly, based on it's condition at the time it must surely still survive
And, only last month I missed an M plate twin airbag manual car by a couple of days, obviously a knowledgable buyer snapped it up quickly
These car both 40 and 300 wil become legendary in the years to come
And, only last month I missed an M plate twin airbag manual car by a couple of days, obviously a knowledgable buyer snapped it up quickly
These car both 40 and 300 wil become legendary in the years to come
agreed, so much is said about XJR300, that the XJR 40 often gets overlooked, I had the chance of an L reg single airbag car with manual gearbox some years ago, Signal Red, Black leather piped in Red, ex course car at Knockhill race circuit, sadly at that time out of my price range, it sold very quickly, based on it's condition at the time it must surely still survive
And, only last month I missed an M plate twin airbag manual car by a couple of days, obviously a knowledgable buyer snapped it up quickly
These car both 40 and 300 wil become legendary in the years to come
This one currently on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0320928431
And, only last month I missed an M plate twin airbag manual car by a couple of days, obviously a knowledgable buyer snapped it up quickly
These car both 40 and 300 wil become legendary in the years to come
This one currently on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0320928431
1998 - XJR Supercharged
With original Nikasil Engine 84,000mls (to Nov 2016)
Pacific Blue Metallic
With original Nikasil Engine 84,000mls (to Nov 2016)
Pacific Blue Metallic
agreed, so much is said about XJR300, that the XJR 40 often gets overlooked, I had the chance of an L reg single airbag car with manual gearbox some years ago, Signal Red, Black leather piped in Red, ex course car at Knockhill race circuit, sadly at that time out of my price range, it sold very quickly, based on it's condition at the time it must surely still survive
And, only last month I missed an M plate twin airbag manual car by a couple of days, obviously a knowledgable buyer snapped it up quickly
These car both 40 and 300 wil become legendary in the years to come
This one currently on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0320928431
And, only last month I missed an M plate twin airbag manual car by a couple of days, obviously a knowledgable buyer snapped it up quickly
These car both 40 and 300 wil become legendary in the years to come
This one currently on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0320928431
1998 - XJR Supercharged
With original Nikasil Engine 84,000mls (to Nov 2016)
Pacific Blue Metallic
With original Nikasil Engine 84,000mls (to Nov 2016)
Pacific Blue Metallic
agreed, so much is said about XJR300, that the XJR 40 often gets overlooked, I had the chance of an L reg single airbag car with manual gearbox some years ago, Signal Red, Black leather piped in Red, ex course car at Knockhill race circuit, sadly at that time out of my price range, it sold very quickly, based on it's condition at the time it must surely still survive
And, only last month I missed an M plate twin airbag manual car by a couple of days, obviously a knowledgable buyer snapped it up quickly
These car both 40 and 300 wil become legendary in the years to come
This one currently on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0320928431
And, only last month I missed an M plate twin airbag manual car by a couple of days, obviously a knowledgable buyer snapped it up quickly
These car both 40 and 300 wil become legendary in the years to come
This one currently on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0320928431
1998 - XJR Supercharged
With original Nikasil Engine 84,000mls (to Nov 2016)
Pacific Blue Metallic
With original Nikasil Engine 84,000mls (to Nov 2016)
Pacific Blue Metallic
-
ChrisDixon
- Posts:330
- Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
- Location:Kent
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests
