Daimler Radiator Grille Surround

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

flycatcher
Posts:22
Joined:Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:50 am
Location:bedford
Contact:
Daimler Radiator Grille Surround

Postby flycatcher » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Hello, I am purchasing a 2001 Daimler Super V8, with an excellent provenance - the car has been well known to the dealer since brand new. I am very happy with the purchase, but there is an oddity. The radiator surround, and the rear number plate surround and both Jaguar versions rather than the fluted Daimler versions. The dealer is very confident that the vehicle has never had any accident damage and is as new. Has anyone ever come across this mystery in the past? Was it ever an option for buyers of new Daimlers to select Jaguar grille surrounds? More importantly, does anyone know where I might be able to purchase Daimler originals. I am going to cherish this car, but I would like it to look like a Daimler in all respects.


joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Daimler

Postby joejag308 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:30 am

wat does it say on the rocker cover inside the engine compartment, also the dashboard clock.........?


flycatcher
Posts:22
Joined:Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:50 am
Location:bedford
Contact:

Postby flycatcher » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:49 am

Hello again! thanks for the suggestion Joe, but the mystery is now solved. I managed to track down the dealership who first sold the car from new, and they confirmed that it is definitely a Daimler Super 8 with all the toys, and had the fluted radiator grille surround when it was supplied to the first owner. So what happened that it now has a Jaguar grille surround? Well the dealer I hoped to purchase from phoned me later today with bad news! His body shop have discovered evidence of front end damage in the past, which is obviously how the grille surround came to be changed. Interestingly, the HPI check was clear, and when selling the car back to the dealer who originally sold it to him, the last owner said that there had been no damage. the dealer I am speaking to has told me that the car will be thoroughly checked out to determine what happened, and if there is the slightest possibility that the car may give trouble down the line he won't sell it to me! I am both reassured and frustrated by this, as I really wanted the car, but I appreciate the dealer's position! At least if I lose this one I will know that this particular dealer will only sell me a car he believes in! Ah well, cross fingers, but this only came to light because I queried what I didn't see in a photograph - the flutes.


joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Half a Daimler

Postby joejag308 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 am

Whoever you are .....Being a dealer he should be able to restore the standard bits of trim...but to lose the front and rear Daimler crinckles rounds a bit dodgey to me.
But if all the bits (including the correct wheels (17" SOLAR) they are hard to find plus premium sound system DVD player and Autolux leather ect then offer him to buy it.......Joe


flycatcher
Posts:22
Joined:Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:50 am
Location:bedford
Contact:

Postby flycatcher » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi again, thanks once more for the post, but I didn't quite understand what you meant. I've discovered that the only trim missing is the front radiator 'crinkle', so that shouldn't be too hard to replace. The wheels are 18" asteroid alloys - is that a problem?
The dealer's rationale is that he doesn't want to sell me a car which may cause trouble in the future, so if he decides it is too risky then he will 'sell it on' to the trade. He has his reputation to protect first and foremost, even though I feel like asking him to cost out the remedial work, if any, and go from there. Where I am struggling is finding out the extent of the damage, and the quality of any repair work done. Would an MOT reveal all, or am I being naive? His engineer found evidence of the shunt round the front suspension area, but thats all I know so far. Still hoping it turns out ok

regards


flycatcher
Posts:22
Joined:Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:50 am
Location:bedford
Contact:

Postby flycatcher » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi ........... final post on this subject. The dealer has decided not to sell the car as he is not confident about it. I should be grateful, but it leaves me looking for a suitable alternative. Thanks for the advice anyway.


joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Postby joejag308 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Good job it sounds like the wheels were wrong type anyway......and they would have the wrong calipers on or they would catch those wheels ....
You win there .....err flycatcher.... :lol: .......Joe



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests