Probably on the verge of buying one!

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

bobtail264
Posts:12
Joined:Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 am
Probably on the verge of buying one!

Postby bobtail264 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:37 pm

Am a brand new member of JEC, a retired Anglican Priest and the owner of a Volvo 760, Volvo S90 and Classic Rover P4. Although retired am still very active in helping out at local churches near Chichester/Bognor Regis West Sussex. I hardly have time to really enjoy my cars, but am intending to make such time.

One problem I have is where to keep them! The P4 is in the garage with due repsect to her age. The S90 is in the drive (I use it mostly on longer distances) and the 760 is parked on the lawn. I think the 760 will have to go although I shall be sad to lose it. This is one consideration in my dilemma.

The XJ8 if she comes, would have to stay on the driveway in the open although I am trying to find a decent builder to construct a car port. Many attempts and no go so far. You wouldn't have thought it possible to have such difficulty in finding a reputable builder who wants work! What are other members views about keeping their beloved XJ in the open, or under a car port :?: ?

I had an XJ6 in 1980s, Yellow Gold and had a black vinyl roof and electric sun roof fitted. This before ordination!! It was a company car, and made over to me on leaving that firm, but in those impecuneous days I eventually had to sell it. Hence I was spoiled for life - have never driven another car like it and always wanted to return to a Jaguar when possible.

The Volvo S90 is the closest I have ever got (please don't have apoplexy at this remark), not in performance but in feel and comfort. I remember seeing the bills come in for the XJ6, although am positive I can now manage the running of the XJ8. Petrol consumption will not be much less than the S90 and Volvo main dealers know how to charge!

I have been scanning the web for several months and have come across a nice looking XJ8 at a not too far distant independent Jaguar dealer, for £9,995 99/T Jaguar 4.0 LWB Sovereign Auto, 45,000 miles and am very tempted. It would be big step, the loss of an old friend (760) and the hassle of selling it. Keeping the S90 until I had established a close relationship with the XJ8.

I noticed from the December Mag the problem of corrosion of front inner wing strengthener (although the article seemed to stop in mid-air). Should I have it inspected by Jaguar Club route, and are there any other major corrosion or other problems, other than one would expect in an 8 year old car. :?:

I am looking for reasons to proceed - have never been much good with personal decisions. Would be interested in any members comments. :?


joejag308

Member
Posts:838
Joined:Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 am
Location:LEEDS

Solution

Postby joejag308 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:38 am

BOBTAIL..A simple solution to your problems..........sell all the "other cars" and keep the new Jag in the garage......after the XJ8 arrives the others will be redundant anyway........re the corrosion issue read John Seymour's entry "IMPORTANT BODY ISSUE" in the BODYWORK section...a problem? only in some cases evidently, but simple to correct if there..........ask more on the nikasil issue and the timing chain tensioners before buying.....Sorry to seem flippant but it is a question of your own decision after asking around.........the basic numbers and mileage seem OK ........unseen!!.....Joe


daveji

Member
Posts:336
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:08 am

Postby daveji » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:30 am

I cannot get my XJ8 in my garage so it has to live on the drive. I do however keep it under a top quality,outdoor, heavy duty,fully tailored breathable cover which does a fine job of protecting the car in all weathers.
Factory body protection is much better now than it used to be, but for long term protection I believe careful maintenance is key---for bodywork as well as mechanicals.
After six years my car is completely sound and immaculate but I did notice a while ago the underseal around the jacking points had started to flake off and traces of surface rust were just appearing.
I therefore have had it waxoiled by Alan Proctor who knows all the tricks and has done a first rate job on it.
I will ask Alan to checkout the rustproof every two or three years and "top it up" if need be.
My advice re purchase........If you like the car and the deal is right....buy it !....but ask the club to inspect it for you first and follow any advice given.
Be aware that upper tensioners & water pump should be upgraded to the latest types and the gearbox oil should be changed.
A original engined T reg car will likely have a nikasil lined engine....so insist on a "blow by" test being successfully passed before you part with your money.
Welcome to the Forum and if all is well I hope you enjoy your Jag !!


johnweber
Posts:9
Joined:Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:49 pm
Location:bristol

Postby johnweber » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi bobtail i keep my xj8 on the driveway all year round use it daily for commuting to and from avonmouth
I polish her every 2 to 3 weeks (depending on the weather) with auto glym
and she looks stunning if your not afraid of some elbow greaes now and then keeping the car outside is fine

i agree with admin and joe though check for nikasil gearbox oil water pump thermostat and tensioners have all been taken care of.

ps you wont want the volvo or the rover as soon as you drive the jag nothing compares.

goodluck


bobtail264
Posts:12
Joined:Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 am

Much closer to the verge!

Postby bobtail264 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:24 pm

Many thanks joejag308, admin & johnweber,

I have taken note of all your comments. Have downloaded John Seymours ‘Important Body Issue’ and have taken full note. I see Rob Jenner’s corrosion problem (December magazine – but article seems to come to a halt at ‘it could be worth…..’ and I can’t see where it continues) refers to a 2000 Daimler Super V8, so presumably its across the whole X-308 range.

Therefore will discuss general problem with seller and will probably go for JEC Inspection. Whether inspector will remove wheels and clean area to determine any problem remains to be seen.

Will also have attention paid to nikasil issue, timing chain tensioners, water pump, and gear box oil. That all confirms to my mind need for JEC Inspection.

In view of the nikasil issue, have also taken note of an 01/Y Jaguar 4.0 Sovereign SWB Auto, 22000 miles £13995 from same independent Jag Dealer, but think I would prefer LWB.

Admin, could you tell me make/model and where to find a heavy duty breathable cover like yours. Is it specifically a Jag cover? It would certainly do for the short term, and even if I get car port, it might be useful for the Volvo S90 (similar to XJ size) but I also suspect as Joejag and Johnweber prophetically believe, I won’t want the Volvos or even my old classic Rover when I finally get my XJ8

Thanks again to you all and would always be very pleased to have your additional comments

Ray W.


daveji

Member
Posts:336
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:08 am

Postby daveji » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Hello Ray
For covers take a look at http://www.thecovercompany.co.uk/.
The cover I am using is the "Noah" fully tailored outdoor car cover.
They are tailor made to order so they fit properly,provide effective protection, and do not blow off easily in the wind.Long elastic straps are available to provide additional security in really exposed locations like my driveway which is open to the south westerly gales.
I will consider the "Stormproof" version next time I think, If I am convinced it it worth the cost, as my driveway is so exposed, but the Noah cover does the job well eneugh,seems good value,and is thick eneugh to protect the car from scuffs and scratches. My cat loves to use the car as an "observation platform" !! :)


bobtail264
Posts:12
Joined:Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 am

Postby bobtail264 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:40 pm

Many thanks re Car Covers - will make contact. Have you come accross 'cocoons'? Have not discovered how to do private messages and yes it is! Got me a bit worried as have started process - but thanks
Ray


daveji

Member
Posts:336
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:08 am

Postby daveji » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:00 pm

I'll post a message in the section "How to use the Forum BB" re private messages.......for the benefit of all.


colincdf5
Posts:3
Joined:Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Bobtail

Postby colincdf5 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:55 pm

I have owned an 1998 XJ8 3.2 Sport for the past 5 years. I purchased the vehicle from an Independant Jaguar specialist. The car has just covered over 54,000 miles and I am the second private owner from new.

These cars are an absolute pleaseure to drive. However, there have ben cases of problems. such as Nikalsil, which was manly due to the high sulphur content in petrol. This has been drastically reduced since 2000.

Other areas are Timing Chain Tensioners. Jaguar are now on the 3rd revision (although do not acknowledge a problem due to poor design). If you start an XJ8 from cold and you notice a knocking sound from the front, could be tensioners. These can be checked visually by removing the top chain cover.

Water pumps- problem due to plastice impellor breaking up and causing hot spots around engine. Check if a metal one is fitted.( note if temp rises significantly, do not drive the car)

Wheel bearings & bushes.- As these cars are heavy, the bushes and bearings tend to wear more easily. The bearings are one piece and can sometimes be difficult to get out. The bushes are replaced as kits nowadays along with arms, as this works out cheaper and easier.

My XJ8 had its MOT for 2007 and noted a small area of corrosion on N/S inner wing around shock absorber mount. This was treated immediately by removal via wire brush, to expose good metal. Then rust prevention treatment un heavy underseal. I am pleassed to say the MOT for 2008 did not even comment, as it has not deteriated.

Also XJ8S do not like colsd strat short journies( ie : start from cold , take off driveway and park). Thay are prone to flooding and take a long time to restart. Always allow to reach running temp.

My advice would be to buy the best example you can afford
Find yourself a local independant Jaguar Specialist
Ask him to check out any specific areas you are concerned with

Finally and most importantly- Enjoy your XJ8, a superb car to own.


I hope I have not deterred you as there are a lot of excellllent examples around available at sensible money.

I do not have the luxury of a garage. My XJ8 is parked on my drive in all weathers. However, it is cleaned and polished on a regular basis.

I also own a 1984 XJ6 Series 3 4.2. This car is my toy, used for runs and shows. It is also kept on my drive under a breathable cover, which has understraps and side door zips. I purchased this from CAR COVERS by Cover Systems, Tel: 01933 410851.

Good Luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

colincdf5


bobtail264
Posts:12
Joined:Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 am

Postby bobtail264 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:39 pm

I am most grateful for the replies and comments received. I now have this beautiful Sovereign V8 2001 reg 24k miles and am delighted with this excellent car. She is kept on the drive and have so far waxed her twice! Haven't yet gone in for a cover - one problem is she is immediately outside the garage in which I keep my 1961 Rover 100 P4. Am getting lazy and think the removal/replacing a cover would be a bit irksome! Concerning the Volvos, I think I will have to part with one, the older 760. You are right, they do feel redundant compared with the Jag., but I still have emotional attachments to them.

I have two elderly Old English Sheepdogs - they are quite heavy and I have adapted the Volvos with blankets/seat covers etc, but they still have affected the seats a bit and am reluctant to expose the pristine leather of the Jag. However must grasp the nettle. I have to semi-lift them into the cars anyway!

So I now desperately try to arrange dog-sitters and find any excuse to undertake longer journeys in the Jag. You simple can't beat them can you?! That classic look is unbeatable - it is a design of beauty. What a shame they have dropped it for the new model. :roll:



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests