Front Discs for XKR

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

PeterK
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:06 pm
Front Discs for XKR

Postby PeterK » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:01 am

Some info / help please. I have a 03 XKR and it's time to replace the front discs and pads. Main dealer estimate a hair raisng £970.00 so have been looking for cheaper options. My local garage will do the work for £70 if I supply the parts. Can anyone confirm that all XKR's have Bremo bakes fitted as standard? Mine are not the red painted ones you so often see, but silver and have the normal Jag logos. They are 355mm dia, cross drilled etc. Given that, can anyone recommend a supplier?

Incidentally my last two Main Dealer services did not include removing the wheels...my BBS Detroits were absolutely locked to the hubs on a recent tyre change, and it took a very determined man with a very large hammer (and wood block!) to get them off.

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: Front Discs for XKR

Postby Nik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Some info / help please. I have a 03 XKR and it's time to replace the front discs and pads. Main dealer estimate a hair raisng £970.00 so have been looking for cheaper options. My local garage will do the work for £70 if I supply the parts. Can anyone confirm that all XKR's have Bremo bakes fitted as standard? Mine are not the red painted ones you so often see, but silver and have the normal Jag logos. They are 355mm dia, cross drilled etc. Given that, can anyone recommend a supplier?




Incidentally my last two Main Dealer services did not include removing the wheels...my BBS Detroits were absolutely locked to the hubs on a recent tyre change, and it took a very determined man with a very large hammer (and wood block!) to get them off.

No , not all XKR's have Brembo's as stardard but it sounds like yours has :wink: , genuine Jaguar/Brembo parts are expensive , try Racing Green Cars for good alternative discs , Genuine Jaguar/Brembo pads are also expensive but are very good quality , take Racing Greens advice on these .
The early Brembos were painted a mid grey metallic , the newer type were red and the latest bright silver .

The reason your Detroits have stuck is when the last person took them off they didn't coat the hubface/wheel back with copper grease and the alloy/steel combination "welds" itself together with corrosion ( differential materials )

Hope this helps ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

PeterK
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Postby PeterK » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks Nik, appreciate your reply. Is there any way in which I can tell whether these are Brembo brakes? Are there any markings on the calipers for instance, S/N, Vin number?
Understand your point about corrosion, but was suprised that in two years of Main Dealer service, the wheels had not been taken off. Had I suffered a puncture it would have quite impossible to change the tryre myself. Needless to say they are now well (copper) greased!

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Postby Nik » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi Peter ,
If you give me the VIN I'll check it on my JEPC :wink: ,

Best Wishes ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

PeterK
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Postby PeterK » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks Nik, that would be really helpful. VIN is SAJAC41R143A37244

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Postby Nik » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi Peter ,
I've done a search on the JEPC and the salient points are as follows

Built at Browns Lane

Coupe

AJ34 V8 4.2 Supercharged

2004 MY

Fascia trim in Sable/Ivory

Seats in Ivory (classic)

Upper trim in Oatmeal

Headlining in Oatmeal

Auto Headlamp levelling

Adaptive Damping Control

Brembo Brakes

Headlamp Powerwash

Hope this helps ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

PeterK
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Postby PeterK » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks Nik, that's really helpful. Very much appreciated!

Jonathan3004
Posts:28
Joined:Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Postby Jonathan3004 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:49 pm

HI I have a 2003 XKR also with Brembo brakes. I recently changed all 4 disks and pads and got all the part for c£570 from Norman motors who often advertises in JEC magazine. They fitted fine but squeeked for a whil, but seem to be settling in now. The pads in particular and very cheap. I cant say that I have noticed any difference in performance they seem as good as the ones taken off. I guess it will depend how you drive if you need higher performance parts as suggested by others.

Regards
Jon

PeterK
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Postby PeterK » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks Jon. I have not yet purchased the replacements and will contact Norman Motors and see what they say.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests