I've already replied in the XK8 BB in 'engine' and 'Those Tensioners Again' and have ''met'' Wullie and Bleasie, and am pleased that my reg number HOT660 might be worth something after having paid quite a lot for it, My God, I've done something right!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got a '98 XK8 coupe finished in Topaz, most people remark on the ''lovely colour'', it's done 68000 and it really is a bit of a weekend car, I don't mind using it fairly infrequently as to use it otherwise would I think somehow take away the feeling of a special car, in other words every occasional time I drive it the car feels a thing of beauty.
I've also got a Peugeot 405 estate, a proper workhorse, it's done 265,000miles and I add to that 20,000miles annually, very reliable and economical.
But the Jag is a lovely car, the shape appealed to me like no other, not gaudy, not too loud looking, the rear is as lovely as the front, personally I think the soft top loses a lot in the shape especially from the rear though I know they are very popular - just a really streamlined purposeful shape. I parted with £25000 about five years ago. Of course prices have come down a lot since then and had I bought the car now I might have saved £15000 or more, but I've had the pleaure of it all those years. I far prefer the shape of the older XK8's to the new model and to the XKR coming soon or perhaps out now. they don't have quite the timeless Jaguar shape but a bit 'stubby' at the front, just my opinion anyway, - a great car otherwise no doubt.
Love my car and always look forward to driving it, though for some reason it always seems to rain or to start raining when I do. A neighbour asked the other day why I wanted two cars, I replied, ''Well the other is a car, this is a thing of beauty and will be a joy forever'', she walked away not understanding at all what I was saying. Hope to post where and when appropriate, All Best, Tony.