"gearbox fault" ,mode "amber"

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:49 pm

The Merc box fitted to the 4.0 litre XKRs does have a known mechanical weakness but not normally at such a low mileage. The good news is that, unlike the ZF box in the naturally aspirated cars, it's usually repairable. However, before jumping to expensive conclusions I'd open your Christmas present early or get some good diagnostic advice. Mike.

cjrm1
Posts:23
Joined:Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Postby cjrm1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:51 am

I did open my present early and the code was P0730, incorrect gear ratio, car went into mechanical limp home mode.
I took the car out again and the fault did not repeat with the car driving normally. One cause mentioned was low gearbox fluid, I plan to get this checked out as a precaution anyway.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:26 pm

How did things progress? Was it low fluid or more serious? Mike.

cjrm1
Posts:23
Joined:Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Postby cjrm1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:44 am

Have used the car several times now without any issue. The fault code has disappeared. There are no clunks or other worrying mechanical sounds, when I floor it, the car takes off like a rocket.
I spoke to my local Jag specialist who said that the most likely reason was a computer glitch/isolated problem and that there should be no reason to be concerned.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:49 pm

I'd be tempted to clean the connectors in the gearbox loom with switch cleaner. If a poor contact was the cause of the original fault it might just save you another anxious moment and a frustrating journey home in limp home mode. These faults always seem to happen when you're in a hurry or at some other equally inconvenient time. Mike.

alanb
Posts:7
Joined:Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:41 pm
Location:Cornwall

Gearbox fault message

Postby alanb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:50 pm

I have an XK8 01MY, 39k miles. Twice in the last few days I have had this message flash up, both times only 4-5 miles after starting. On both occasions I have pulled over, stopped the engine and re-started. The warning does not re-appear and the car drives perfectly with no sign of anything wrong.
It looks like a malfunction in the circuit buit does anyone know if it could be something more sinister and expensive :-) !)
Alan

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Alan, There's no knowing if or when these messages are crying wolf, especially if there's no sign of leaking transmission fluid. Find a Jaguar specialist or dealer with Autologic or Jaguar diagnostic equipment and get the car checked. The peace of mind alone will be worth the cost. Mike.

scallan1956
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:04 pm

Postby scallan1956 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi Peter, I have the same problem on 1998 XK8 105K miles, :( took it in to my local independent auto box centre, no fault codes registered on autologik system. :?: they had this same fault on two other XK8s of similar milage, only way to cure this fault is to remove gearbox and full
stripdown and recondition (Gulp). they have quoted me £1650 + vat
for the complete re- build incl parts and Oils. Funny thing is I already had the filter/gasket/o ring, to have the oil changed. Also 12months or 12000 miles Guarantee. Already done the timming chains guides and tensioners last year. hopfully not much more to go wrong now, rear differential maybe :?:. I hope this will be of help to other members on this forum.
Looking forward to Easter now. I will have the car back by then, oh joy
long weekend of driving, hopefully :!: I will let you all know how I get on.

cjrm1
Posts:23
Joined:Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Postby cjrm1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 pm

An update on my story.

The warning light "high gearbox temp" came on more regularly, but still intermittently with no consistency at all.
My main dealer suggested changing the valve body for £1,700.
I took my car to David Marks, who fixed it, by replacing the just the valve block, which is mounted on the body and contains the sensors etc. He found the connector plug was full of water, which had probably caused a short in the loom, the connectors on the Valve block were also pitted.

So far no repeat of this problem at all and fixed at a fraction of the main dealer quote


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest