re newing timing chain tensioners

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

User avatar
Sharfrs2
Posts:109
Joined:Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:10 pm
Location:Sunbury, MIddx

Postby Sharfrs2 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:46 pm

I thought all XK8's has VVT's :?: Certainly the 1999's did.

And if your in the uK there's a company that lists regulalry on ebay with the whole Jag original tensioners set for £300 inc postage.

Regards

Mark

As said earlier in the thread, all XK's have VVT's, but the later models have continuously variable ones instead of the 2 position ones fitted to older models.
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE

Postby WULLIE4567 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi Grand Tourer
No offence taken, :D .

Cheers Wullie.
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

binghama
Posts:34
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm
Location:N Ireland

Postby binghama » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:53 am

just had chains and tensionersdone on my 99 with 75k on clock..btm tensioners and friction mtl ok but cam tensioners both cracked..friction mtl o k ...changed water... pump anyway but it was ok...changed g box oil have the equivelent VW oil @ £9 / lt in it at moment but will change it again to the Esso LT when it arrives on order...about £9 / lt as well
99 carnival red 18"flutes

Harland
Posts:15
Joined:Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:57 pm

Postby Harland » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:32 pm

Hi Folks
Just to report that after a lot of careful thought I decided to have the upper & lower tensioners, guides & chains replced on my 96 XK8 conv. ( 75k ) together with the water pump & thermostat.
I used Marina Garage who are a local Jaguar specialist in Bournemouth and was delighted with the job they carried out. However, they retained the old tensioners for me to inspect and much to my surprise they were in perfect condition with no signs of cracking. The garage confirmed that they were the original style tensioners
Although I am now £1600 worse off ( included full service ) I have the beifit of sleeping better at night!!!
Happy days
Peter

GrandTourer
Posts:297
Joined:Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Location:Leicester, UK

Postby GrandTourer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Well done, Peter. I am sure it will be worth it in the long run and for peace of mind.
As a matter of interest do your old top tensioners have springs fitted (between the body and the tensioning 'plunger') ??
______________________________
Karl, XK8 MY2000 Pacific Blue

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:28 pm

I was a little surprised that my local main dealer in Taunton (who apparently has the lowest labour rates of any dealer in the UK) quoted me £917 labour inc. VAT. Given that I can buy the full set off Ebay for £300 inc delivery it should mean that I can ge the whole job done inc. a major (120k) service for less than £1500.

Appreciate that I supply my own oil/wipers/fuel filter/coolant/plugs.

Strange though that it's cheaper than an independant?

Mark

designxkr50
Posts:22
Joined:Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:39 pm
Location:Andover Hampshire
Contact:

Postby designxkr50 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Well not all independents charge that sort of money for the replacement. We charge £500 labour and £300 for the parts. Although a service was included £1600 does seem like a lot of money.

Kevin
1999 XKR convertible currently undergoing upgrade to 4.2l engine

MarkyM
Posts:231
Joined:Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Postby MarkyM » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:29 pm

Kevin...sold to that man!!

I'll have mine done by you as soon as I get the Xenon's... then hopefully you'll be able to do the two over two days.

Will speak soon :D

Mark

User avatar
D_Doran
Posts:113
Joined:Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Postby D_Doran » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:42 am

I haven't gone down the road of having the chains/tensioners/water pump/thermostat changed yet.

I have a March 2002 4.0l XK8, and when I was last with the independent garage who sold me the car I was assured that the car was still too young to be worrying about these defects. I have now got almost 50k miles on it.

Is it possible to check the type of tensioners fitted without going the whole hog and having the full job done? Also, is it necessary to change the chains, if it is only the tensioners which crack? If there are no signs of cracking, then there shouldn't be any damage on the chains themselves?

Or am I just being penny smart and pound foolish?

Another thing that I still can't get over is that this is obviously a design defect, and as such I would have expected Jaguar to be liable for replacing the inferior parts at their expense! How have they got away with not being held responsible? :shock:

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:10 pm

The amount of stripping to get as far as the top tensioners (the usual culprits) is virtually the same as is necessary to change them. Using a split link chain enables the top tensioners to be changed by non franchised specialists for a relatively modest cost (~£400/£500). If you decide to change both top and bottom tensioners it's a much bigger job (generally £1200/£1500) and the cost of the standard endless chain pales into insignificance. Mike.

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE

tensioners

Postby WULLIE4567 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi Doran :)
Mikes right if your going to strip it down to check what type of tensioners you have, your as well getting the top end done. Main reason is you would have to replace all the gaskets and seals on re-build and your already have way there. Chances are the tensioners will have started to crack and your car will probably have the second generation tensioners same as my late 2000 car. :( .

The guy who told you your cars to young is talking (PANTS) will he pay for a new engine when it destroys itself £7000 ish. bite the bullet and get the top end done. you will sleep better and you wont be afraid to sink the welly :evil: .
The chains should always be changed even if the are ok, its good practice and common sense, also again peace of mind.
I don't think your penny smart or pound foolish moneys hard enough to make these days.

Your right about Jaguar they should be held responsible in some way even if they paid for the parts that failed. they were replacing engines if they failed during warranty, and it IS a design fault.

I recently done all the chains / tensioners /water pump thermostat and housing / seals / gaskets / spark plugs the parts from Jaguar cost me about £600. plus I hired some tooling from the club who were great to deal with. :P .
PS, see my pictures of the second generation tensioners. Go to the Gallery pictures at the top of the bulletin board Coulred yellow.

Cheers Wullie.
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

User avatar
D_Doran
Posts:113
Joined:Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Postby D_Doran » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:40 pm

Thanks Mike and Wullie.

Guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and get the work done! :?

Looked through the gallery and saw your pics of the work. You're a braver man than I to do it yourself.. I'll have to check out the local guy here in NI to get the work done.

Was over visiting Alwyn (binghama)who has just had the work completed on his car, and will post pics of our cars posing side by side later!

Damian

binghama
Posts:34
Joined:Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm
Location:N Ireland

Postby binghama » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:51 pm

yea I had my chains and tensioners done recently..tolal cost was £1400 but that inckuded £180 for repairs to both foot wells new antifreez water pump and 'stat and changing g box oil so 'pose was.nt too bad!!! on a 99 75k engine both cam tensioners were cracked but all friction mtl ok pump was also ok but that should be it for another 100k!! by the way I don't like the idea of split chains having heard of bad experiences with them in the past..for peace of mind have the cont' chain..you'll have peace of mind next time you'r doin 85 in a 50 limit!!!
99 carnival red 18"flutes

User avatar
D_Doran
Posts:113
Joined:Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Postby D_Doran » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Ha ha! I think I need to invest in a radar detector/jammer!! And it was a 60 limit... don't exaggerate! :lol:

(Pics added to the gallery. Think I may have a slight flat spot on one tyre so I'll be checking that at first light.)

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE

timing chains

Postby WULLIE4567 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:00 pm

D Doran / binghama :P
Unfortunately you have to use a split link if only replacing the top tensioners, The VVt units and primary chains sit Forward of the secondary chains. So to replace secondary chain with a continuous one you have to strip the lot.
As quoted by myself elsewhere in the forum I don't like joining these chains that's for cycles/motorbikes etc. But the experts do it all the time and say it's fine. :? Have fun with your cars, I dooo'

cheers
Wullie. 8)
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests