Roof Operation - not good!

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

smurf
Posts:6
Joined:Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm
Roof Operation - not good!

Postby smurf » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi There Everyone :D
I am new to the Club and have a 2000 XKR convertible. I am having problems with the hood. Now we've had some sun!!! I suspect a fluid leak from piston. Any ideas on how to check fluid level as I assume it has a reservoir or does it share fluid from somewhere else? :?:

smurf
Posts:6
Joined:Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Postby smurf » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:17 am

Looks like I'm getting sorted now. Found pump etc behind panel in boot. Fluid looks low to me so time for investigation :?

User avatar
Sharfrs2
Posts:109
Joined:Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:10 pm
Location:Sunbury, MIddx

Postby Sharfrs2 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:11 pm

Thers's a handle near the pump which sometimes needs to be tightened to improve the flow. I believe the hood fluid should be changed every so often anyway, but can't remember the intervals.
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.

smurf
Posts:6
Joined:Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Postby smurf » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Thanks for that. I shall purchase some fluid and top up to hopefully remedy, then monitor for fluid loss. :)

Topped up and operated a few times, now back to normal :P :P

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:43 pm

I believe Jaguar changed the type of fluid somewhere in the late nineties although I'm unsure of the exact timing. The original material tended to gel and bung up the works especially if the hood wasn't used much. It's a messy job to get rid of all the old fluid but I haven't heard any adverse comments about the later liquid. Mike.

smurf
Posts:6
Joined:Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Postby smurf » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Thanks Mike for your reply. Mine was filled with new pentosin, green, so just needed topping up fortunately. I suspect a leak on piston because I thought it felt a bit wet, however I will watch fluid level as time goes on and see what happens. So releived its working again. Nice to know there's some help from you guys :) Heres to roof down and sunshine 8)
I just love driving this car


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest