Wind deflectors for convertibles
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Apparently, there's a massive difference in price between the Jaguar and the Classic additions versions of this accessory and probably no discernable difference in performance. I've read the fitting instructions from Classic Additions and they appear quite straightforward, only requiring the drilling of a couple of holes. Does anyone know what it's like to fit the version available from Jaguar and how easy is it to assemble/take apart in daily use?
-
gasman1003
- Posts:34
- Joined:Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:41 pm
Wind deflectors for convertibles
I have a 2000MY XKR convertible, fitted with a Jaguar Wind-Deflector.
It was fitted by a main dealer and is easy to install and remove.
It can also be folded down and left in place when the hood is raised.
It works very well.
A colleague has an XK8 convertible with a Classic Additions Deflector.
He tells me it does not work well at all, certainly compared tp previous examples on Saabs he has owned.
Hope this helps.
It was fitted by a main dealer and is easy to install and remove.
It can also be folded down and left in place when the hood is raised.
It works very well.
A colleague has an XK8 convertible with a Classic Additions Deflector.
He tells me it does not work well at all, certainly compared tp previous examples on Saabs he has owned.
Hope this helps.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Wind deflectors for convertibles
That's very helpful. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. With luck, I will get round to buying and fitting a deflector in time for next year's open topped motoring season. Mike.
-
gasman1003
- Posts:34
- Joined:Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:41 pm
Wind deflectors for convertibles
Mike,
Found some photos showing raised and lowered positions
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/S ... dwood2.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/S ... /park1.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/S ... /park2.jpg
Steve.
Found some photos showing raised and lowered positions
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/S ... dwood2.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/S ... /park1.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/S ... /park2.jpg
Steve.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Wind deflectors for convertibles
Fantastic pictures! Really helpful. Now my wife has asked me to ask you where you had the rear seat conversion done. From the pics, I assume that it is a straightforward carpeted shelf and that it doesn't have a lockable cubby hole below like the XJ-S.
-
gasman1003
- Posts:34
- Joined:Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:41 pm
Wind deflectors for convertibles
Thanks,
Rear Seat Conversion carried out at Racing Green Cars, Ash Vale, Hampshire, along with other mods.
You are correct, no lockable cubby hole, but one could probably be provided. Speak to Chas Whitaker at RGC.
http://www.racinggreencars.com/
Rear Seat Conversion carried out at Racing Green Cars, Ash Vale, Hampshire, along with other mods.
You are correct, no lockable cubby hole, but one could probably be provided. Speak to Chas Whitaker at RGC.
http://www.racinggreencars.com/
- Scottish-Exile
- Posts:29
- Joined:Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:43 pm
- Location:Kedzierzyn-Kozle. POLAND
- Contact:
Wind deflectors for convertibles
A colleague has an XK8 convertible with a Classic Additions Deflector.
That would be me
I had a deflector when I owned a Saab 93 and the difference was amazing. You just would not drive without it and it cut out all drafts.
When I got my XK8 convertible, I went to source a deflector. Jag dealer wanted £600. He's havin' a laugh !.
Got one from Classic Addittions for about £150 or so. Got my local independant Jag specialist to fit it. I'm no handyman and didn't feel comfortable going near my pride & joy with a Black & Decker !
Dealer had all sorts of problems, as the wrong brackets are supplied (something I've heard from others who bought this type of deflector). Eventually they got it installed, but I'm sad to say I notice no disceranable difference. The deflector is permanently installed. I can fold the top half down to aid visibility but don't bother, as it is fine with it upright. The roof can be lowered or raised without folding/removing the deflector.
I just find that I'm still getting drafts on the back of the neck. The design is smaller and not as wide across the rear seats as the one in the Saab, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Also, I'm quite tall so 'sit high' in the cabin which may be another factor. I suppose it does work to a fashion, but it's just not as effective as the one I had in my Saab.
That would be me
When I got my XK8 convertible, I went to source a deflector. Jag dealer wanted £600. He's havin' a laugh !.
Got one from Classic Addittions for about £150 or so. Got my local independant Jag specialist to fit it. I'm no handyman and didn't feel comfortable going near my pride & joy with a Black & Decker !
Dealer had all sorts of problems, as the wrong brackets are supplied (something I've heard from others who bought this type of deflector). Eventually they got it installed, but I'm sad to say I notice no disceranable difference. The deflector is permanently installed. I can fold the top half down to aid visibility but don't bother, as it is fine with it upright. The roof can be lowered or raised without folding/removing the deflector.
I just find that I'm still getting drafts on the back of the neck. The design is smaller and not as wide across the rear seats as the one in the Saab, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Also, I'm quite tall so 'sit high' in the cabin which may be another factor. I suppose it does work to a fashion, but it's just not as effective as the one I had in my Saab.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Wind deflectors for convertibles
Thanks for all the advice. I purchased a new Jaguar deflector from a Dutch spares dealer via Ebay. Pricewise, it was comparable with the aftermarket versions. Over the Christmas holiday, I got round to fitting it by following the Jaguar instructions enclosed with the kit. In practice, fitting was quite straightforward. Minor differences between the instructions and what I found beneath the trim were not a problem. The biggest issue was cutting the trim to allow the deflector's legs to sit into the brackets below the trim. I must have taken several hours and dozens of measurements to ensure that I got it right; all because I doubted the accuracy of the Jaguar supplied templates. But it proved worthwhile; the holes in the trim aligned beautifully with the brackets. All I need now is sufficient bravery (it's minus 4 degrees outside at the moment) to see if I've achieved the expected smoothing in the air flow over the screen and past the occupants!
-
gasman1003
- Posts:34
- Joined:Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:41 pm
Wind deflectors for convertibles
Glad to help.
I think you will find it works pretty well.
I think you will find it works pretty well.
- Scottish-Exile
- Posts:29
- Joined:Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:43 pm
- Location:Kedzierzyn-Kozle. POLAND
- Contact:
Wind deflectors for convertibles
That's why I took the cowards way out and PAID someone to fit it !
Minus 4 degrees. What's wrong with you man. Get yourself out there and go for a topless blast.
When I lived in Scotland, we all used to go swimming in the sea on New Years Day, whatever the temperature. They breed us tough 'Up North'
Minus 4 degrees. What's wrong with you man. Get yourself out there and go for a topless blast.
When I lived in Scotland, we all used to go swimming in the sea on New Years Day, whatever the temperature. They breed us tough 'Up North'
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Wind deflectors for convertibles
Don't know if anyone's still interested but I felt I have to say how pleased I am with the Jaguar deflector. This recent spell of cold but dry weather has shown the deflector to work brilliantly. I haven't even needed to wear any headgear to remain quite comfortable at all UK legal speeds and 2 or 3 degrees Celcius temperatures. Despite living north of Inverness at the time, I used to think my XJ-S cabrio provided fantastically civilised open top motoring and was much better than its successor in this regard. Now a fair few years further on and located 400 miles further south, I may have to revise my views by raising the deflector equipped XK8 convertible above it in the pecking order of draft-free motoring.
wind deflectors
I've been pondering a wind deflector for my xk8 so that I can have the top down on the way to work, not just on the way home. Do they make that much difference to the air flow? Is the general consensus that the Jag deflector is probably better than classic additions but an outrageous price? Are there any other alternatives?
Liz D.
Liz D.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
To all practical purposes, there isn't a great deal of difference between the performance of the various deflectors on the market. None of them turns the interior of the car into a totally draughtfree location but they do produce a marked improvement compared with travelling without a deflector. The Jaguar item on my car can be left in the raised position when the hood is raised. I believe that some of the aftermarket versions may have to be lowered first. Perhaps someone else could confirm or deny that rumour. The Jaguar item can be found for sale (new and second hand) at much lower prices than Jaguar dealers charge. Try eBay or the Stoneleigh spares events. Mike.
- Scottish-Exile
- Posts:29
- Joined:Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:43 pm
- Location:Kedzierzyn-Kozle. POLAND
- Contact:
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests