Front Lower Ball joints

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

jimmy1945

Member
Posts:20
Joined:Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:54 pm
Location:Worcestershire
Front Lower Ball joints

Postby jimmy1945 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm

I am currently rebuilding my front suspension on my 1990 XJS v12, am i correct in thinking that due to the ball joint having a tapered shaft you can tighten the nut to its maximum or is there a limit on how much poundage you put on it.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Front Lower Ball joints

Postby davidr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi - there is a torque setting for this but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.
As a safety related component I would be inclined to tighten it to the correct torque. Too little and it may work loose and chatter, ultimately falling off I guess although you should be using a new nylon nut which should prevent that. Too tight will put excess strain on the stub and it may fail with obvious dangers.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

jimmy1945

Member
Posts:20
Joined:Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:54 pm
Location:Worcestershire

Re: Front Lower Ball joints

Postby jimmy1945 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks David,
I am using a new nylon nut so it shouldn't work loose, do you know where i can find out the torque setting please.

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Front Lower Ball joints

Postby davidr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi - I just looked it up in the Repair Operation Manual and it should be 55 lb ft or 75Nm
Hope that helps

jimmy1945

Member
Posts:20
Joined:Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:54 pm
Location:Worcestershire

Re: Front Lower Ball joints

Postby jimmy1945 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Thank you David for your help, very much appreciated.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests