Tom Tom Nonsense

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm
Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby sweller » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:44 am

I have a TomTom XL IQ sat nav (I succumbed..) and was rather bored one day. The result was a car icon based on my S type.

It's simply a photograph of my car adjusted to work as the sat nav car icon. I'm sure someone can make a better job. It's a very simple 80x80 bitmap with red as the transparent colour.

http://www.sweller.dynalias.org/images/ ... uc862c.bmp

All you need to do is download the image, mount the TomTom device and navigate to the directory "art" then "cars". Cut and paste the image into that directory. Select the car image on the sat nav in the normal way.

I really have too much time on my hands...


Simon
Simon
Brighton
Sussex

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby J44EAG » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 am

Brilliant!

Must have a go myself.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

smiffy
Posts:157
Joined:Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby smiffy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:39 pm

You two really must get out more!!
David

ecosselynx
Posts:265
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am
Location:Magnou, France

Re: Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby ecosselynx » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:49 am

Hi

I'd like to share with you all the method I used to mount my Tom-Tom in the Mk2, which allows you to install/remove the mounting quickly and simply. Its also helps with out of sight-out of mind as far as security goes.
All I did was strip down the original mounting I had for fitting into the air vents and mount it onto an alloy bracket.
I'll post anyone a picture next week when I'm back in France.

regards

John H.
bye-o

John H.

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Re: Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby sweller » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:28 am

I mount the TomTom by using a sucker disc on the underside of the picnic tray (On the S type its underneath the centre gauges and switches - I'm not sure if a Mk 2 has one there).

I also wired in cigarette socket extension lead taking it's feed from the fuse boxes and the connector and lead just lives tucked away on the parcel shelf. As the socket is plastic and insulated it allowed me to use negative earth accessories whilst the car was still positive earth.
Simon
Brighton
Sussex

ecosselynx
Posts:265
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am
Location:Magnou, France

Re: Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby ecosselynx » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:37 am

Hi

See attached photo's. It was only a bit of alloy angle and the thumb screw lets me attach/remove quickly and easy.
Attachments
IMG_1002.JPG
(789.79KiB)Not downloaded yet
IMG_1003.JPG
(902.41KiB)Not downloaded yet
bye-o

John H.

smiffy
Posts:157
Joined:Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby smiffy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 pm

No, really, you boys must get out more!! Most people that use a sat-nav to come to our house end up in the field across the lane. I use the sat-nav that has pages....
Best wishes, David

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Re: Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby sweller » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:33 am

What is this "field" of which you speak? I live somewhere civilised; people who visit me can come and need not be in fear of "rural folk"!

In reality, I find satnav really useful for the last mile - makes finding where you're going easy (unless, of course, the postcode is for a field...) - but for getting to a general location they're not that necessary.
Simon
Brighton
Sussex

smiffy
Posts:157
Joined:Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Tom Tom Nonsense

Postby smiffy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Simon
Apologies for my Hobbity demeanour, if I were to visit you this would be the furthest that I have strayed from the Shire! T"would be 'There and Back Again' for me, though I do use Google maps quite a bit. As someone once said, don't knock it until you have tried it :? , so perhaps I should give one a whirl.
Best wishes, David


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests