Hi,
Just bought a 2007 4.2 XK with 22,000 miles on the clock. The car looks and runs like a new car and so far no problems. What issues can expect to encounter and what should I look out for. I have a bit of a phobia about rust so where I am I likely to find it. Are the sub frames steel or are they also aluminium. Any other information would be appreciated.
Regards
New member reporting in
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
tonyjaguar

- Posts:8
- Joined:Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:44 pm
- Location:Wirral
Last edited by tonyjaguar on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
1962 Series 1 E Type Roadster
2007 XK 4.2 Convertsble
1962 Series 1 E Type Roadster
2007 XK 4.2 Convertsble
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: New member reporting in
Hi Tony,
Welcome to the XK8 Forum. Fortunately, you won't have much of a problem with rust. The steel rear sub-frame is the most vulnerable component in that respect but it can be tackled with a pot of Hammerite or similar. That said, the body issue to look for is aluminium corrosion given away by the usual under paint bubbling. I have yet to see a really serious case on an XK although the cars are currently only a maximum of 8 years old. If you see any bubbling, typically around the edges of panels, get it treated quickly and all is likely to be well. Mechanically, these are cars are proving very good to live with. Naturally, suspension bushes wear with age and mileage and occasionally, the complex electronics can cause head scratching diagnostic issues. On the whole, it's difficult to list common problems because there are few as long as the car has been serviced regularly using quality engine oil. Enjoy your new purchase! Mike.
Welcome to the XK8 Forum. Fortunately, you won't have much of a problem with rust. The steel rear sub-frame is the most vulnerable component in that respect but it can be tackled with a pot of Hammerite or similar. That said, the body issue to look for is aluminium corrosion given away by the usual under paint bubbling. I have yet to see a really serious case on an XK although the cars are currently only a maximum of 8 years old. If you see any bubbling, typically around the edges of panels, get it treated quickly and all is likely to be well. Mechanically, these are cars are proving very good to live with. Naturally, suspension bushes wear with age and mileage and occasionally, the complex electronics can cause head scratching diagnostic issues. On the whole, it's difficult to list common problems because there are few as long as the car has been serviced regularly using quality engine oil. Enjoy your new purchase! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
-
tonyjaguar

- Posts:8
- Joined:Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:44 pm
- Location:Wirral
Re: New member reporting in
Mike,
Thank you for the welcome and the advice. Glad to hear that there only a few problems with the XK in particular the rust. I am sure, like the S Type I traded in for the XK it will give the usual electronic and señsor problems, but that is now becoming a feature of the modern (ish) Jaguars. Where would we be without a good code reader and they only give a clue that can be difficult to interprete. Being retired and doing low mileage I intend to use the XK as my day to day car. I must admit it is not the most practical car for day to day use, towing my sailing dinghy and doing runs to the tip with the trailer, but being retired I can afford to be a bit foolish in my old age. I have offered to take my wife's car for a test run and it may come back with a tow bar fitted. She will be pleased?
Thank you for the welcome and the advice. Glad to hear that there only a few problems with the XK in particular the rust. I am sure, like the S Type I traded in for the XK it will give the usual electronic and señsor problems, but that is now becoming a feature of the modern (ish) Jaguars. Where would we be without a good code reader and they only give a clue that can be difficult to interprete. Being retired and doing low mileage I intend to use the XK as my day to day car. I must admit it is not the most practical car for day to day use, towing my sailing dinghy and doing runs to the tip with the trailer, but being retired I can afford to be a bit foolish in my old age. I have offered to take my wife's car for a test run and it may come back with a tow bar fitted. She will be pleased?
Tony
1962 Series 1 E Type Roadster
2007 XK 4.2 Convertsble
1962 Series 1 E Type Roadster
2007 XK 4.2 Convertsble
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: New member reporting in
Hi Tony,
Just remember, we old fools have to stick together. Enjoy your XK and consider bringing it along to a Forum event or two. There you will find quite a lot of us with slightly less than practical purchases! Mike.
Just remember, we old fools have to stick together. Enjoy your XK and consider bringing it along to a Forum event or two. There you will find quite a lot of us with slightly less than practical purchases! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests