Car not responding to key fob.
Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight
-
garagedood

- Posts:36
- Joined:Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm
- Location:North East England
Bit of a weird thing this. My son who has a 2006 X Type 2.0d is serving with HM Forces and is away at the moment and has been for some months. His pride and joy resides in his Gran`s garage when he is deployed. Today I had need to bring the car out of the garage but it would not respond to the fob by opening the car for me.Thinking that the fob battery was flat I went to get the other key but when I tried that the result was the same --- nothing from the car. I now made the assumption that the car battery had become completely discharged. Nothing for it now I had to open the car manually with the key, expecting to have to push it out of the garage and jump start it however when I opened with the key the alarm sounded. I could then switch the alarm off with the fob and when I opened the door the interior lights shone brightly and the car started on the button. My query is , do these cars cleverly "go to sleep" when inactive for a while or is there some other reason why this weirdness happened??. The car seems fine now, (he left it nearly full of fuel when he went away, Ta son... only joking!!:mrgreen: )
- PaulRidley
- Posts:37
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:01 pm
- Location:Powys
Re: Car not responding to key fob.
Similar issues here with the police car.
Assuming that the key fob is ok - the "show me the way" light switch on the fob is always my test of choice - then it could be, according to Guy Salmon Jaguar Oxford, it could be a solenoid in the drivers door as this, they said
, activates the rest of the doors.
The cause, they said
, was "lack of use".
Suffice to say that after their investigations, which I will admit were free after (!) buying a new key for ££££'s, I can now with the fob unlock the car, open the boot, light the lights, but not lock it.... I lock it manually and the horn sounds to tell me one of the doors is open...
At this point I gave up!

Assuming that the key fob is ok - the "show me the way" light switch on the fob is always my test of choice - then it could be, according to Guy Salmon Jaguar Oxford, it could be a solenoid in the drivers door as this, they said
The cause, they said
Suffice to say that after their investigations, which I will admit were free after (!) buying a new key for ££££'s, I can now with the fob unlock the car, open the boot, light the lights, but not lock it.... I lock it manually and the horn sounds to tell me one of the doors is open...
At this point I gave up!
Paul Ridley
FOR SALE...
LL03 VAA
Merseyside Police Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 AWD Sport
FOR SALE...
LL03 VAA
Merseyside Police Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 AWD Sport
-
garagedood

- Posts:36
- Joined:Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm
- Location:North East England
Re: Car not responding to key fob.
The lad is home on leave at the moment and now the car is in regular use - at least for a few days - the problem has not recurred. He did tell me though that this same thing has happened to him before. The Jag had been parked up on a base while he was away for an extended period and when he returned the car would not respond to the fob but was fine after he had opened it with the key. We will see what happens after his next time away. Curiously when I tried to get in to the wifes Freelander with the spare keys I keep in the garage the other day the car would not respond to the button, thinking the battery in the fob was flat I got her set and after opening with her regularly used fob the spare fob worked fine, curiouser and curiouser!!
- PaulRidley
- Posts:37
- Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:01 pm
- Location:Powys
Re: Car not responding to key fob.
Yes, best not delve into this. Clearly there are dark forces at work on our fobs...

Paul Ridley
FOR SALE...
LL03 VAA
Merseyside Police Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 AWD Sport
FOR SALE...
LL03 VAA
Merseyside Police Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 AWD Sport
Re: Car not responding to key fob.
My 02 X Type would not lock with the remote, the horn beeped to tell me a door was open. The interior lights were on as though a door was open and the door open warning was lit on the dash. I had to remove the fuse for interior lights and lock with the key.
After looking on the net I found some advice. Spray lots of WD40 into the drivers door catch and leave to soak for a while. Sure enough next day it was all back to normal and has been for about 6 months now.
Hope this helps.
After looking on the net I found some advice. Spray lots of WD40 into the drivers door catch and leave to soak for a while. Sure enough next day it was all back to normal and has been for about 6 months now.
Hope this helps.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests