Hi guys,just thought I would give you an update.My mk10 has been off the road for about 2 months now and im starting to get withdrawl symptons from not driving it.The last time I had it on the road the brake calipers seized!
Anyway I started looking into different soloutions.The 1st been trying to repair the original ones,I managed to snap off the pad retaining pin on one of the calipers so that idea was scrapped.
I then looked at upgrading to the 420g set up and with a few tweeks it looked like it could work.I drove down to Northamptonshire to look at some brakes on a 420g at Perry Bros,Jag specialists but unfortunatley they looked like they had spent time on the sea bed,they were that corroded!
So continuing with the hunt I spoke to Coopercraft,they do a 4 pot caliper conversion at £415+vat,no disrespect to the chap there but he was a little vague about them,ok if your spending a tenner but not when your spending nearly £500!
I then saw an advert for a company called Zeus Engineering in Devon,they were very proffesional and gave me some good advice.I sent them my caliper and disc so they had all the correct dimensions.The calipers have been built and shipped and im just waiting to recieve them.They were trying also to get me some discs which are virtually impossible to find for a 3.8. Ive had to order them from SNG at the ridiculous price of £380!! Has anyone got any advice on bleeding the brakes?(on my own)and how I explain to my Mrs that ive spent £800.Cheers Adam
Goodbye Money
Moderator:cstorey
Re: Goodbye Money
I cannot help you with the brakes.
When you figure out what to tel the wife about the £800 let me know because I have the same problem with a 420G I have just bought its a bit more than 800
Larryd
When you figure out what to tel the wife about the £800 let me know because I have the same problem with a 420G I have just bought its a bit more than 800
Larryd
Re: Goodbye Money
Hello Scarface,
probably the easiest way to bleed the brakes unassisted is a Gunson's Easy Bleed (eezibleed is, I think, their spelling!!), basically the idea is a container which you fill with brake fluid and attach it via a hose and cap to the top of the master cylinder. Using air pressure from a wheel it pressurises the sytem, just open the bleed valve and the pressure blows the fluid down the line until the air is expelled.
I think Halford's stock them or else online by mail order.
Terrible price for the discs, by the way.
Alec
probably the easiest way to bleed the brakes unassisted is a Gunson's Easy Bleed (eezibleed is, I think, their spelling!!), basically the idea is a container which you fill with brake fluid and attach it via a hose and cap to the top of the master cylinder. Using air pressure from a wheel it pressurises the sytem, just open the bleed valve and the pressure blows the fluid down the line until the air is expelled.
I think Halford's stock them or else online by mail order.
Terrible price for the discs, by the way.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Goodbye Money
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
SV8Predator
- Posts:43
- Joined:Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:36 pm
Re: Goodbye Money
Hello Scarface,
probably the easiest way to bleed the brakes unassisted is a Gunson's Easy Bleed (eezibleed is, I think, their spelling!!),
There's a new video on Tool Connection's (owners of the Gunson brand) Facebook site about the Eezibleed:
http://www.facebook.com/Tool.Connection ... 7675755167
Worth a look.
Re: Goodbye Money
I've always found the Eezibleed a good tool. i don't know if the design has changed in 20 years but just make sure that the cap is firmly attached to the Gunson reservoir and that you read the instructions about the maximum operating psi. A jar full of brake fluid flies a long way and needs lots of careful cleaning if the cap blows off when under pressure from a spare tyre! I know!!
Paul
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Goodbye Money
Hello Paul,
That is a good point, I use Silicone brake fluid so don't worry too much about a bit of spill but conventional glycol fluid is an effective paint stripper so can make a real mess?
Alec
That is a good point, I use Silicone brake fluid so don't worry too much about a bit of spill but conventional glycol fluid is an effective paint stripper so can make a real mess?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
ecosselynx
- Posts:265
- Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am
- Location:Magnou, France
Re: Goodbye Money
Hi
In order to prevent spilling brake fluid, I use it in the following way. Only use the fluid in the car reservior, this prevents having to bleed off any excess and as stated earlier make sure the cap is on securely. For a pressure supply I just use a bicycle tube to keep the air volume down, true I may need to pump it up a couple of times to do the whole car, one advantage is the bicycle tube is easy and light to handle.
Touching wood I have never spilt any fluid (I use dot 5.1) in the number of time I have done this over the years.
In order to prevent spilling brake fluid, I use it in the following way. Only use the fluid in the car reservior, this prevents having to bleed off any excess and as stated earlier make sure the cap is on securely. For a pressure supply I just use a bicycle tube to keep the air volume down, true I may need to pump it up a couple of times to do the whole car, one advantage is the bicycle tube is easy and light to handle.
Touching wood I have never spilt any fluid (I use dot 5.1) in the number of time I have done this over the years.
bye-o
John H.
John H.
Re: Goodbye Money
Although of no direct relevance, there's an article on the Mk 10 in yesterday's (Saturday 3rd Sep) 'Motoring' section of the Daily Telegraph.
Michael
Michael
Re: Goodbye Money
Hello John,
"Only use the fluid in the car reservior"
That means having to keep a close eye on the resrvoir in case it goes too low. Nothing wrong with that it just needs a bit more care?
Alec
"Only use the fluid in the car reservior"
That means having to keep a close eye on the resrvoir in case it goes too low. Nothing wrong with that it just needs a bit more care?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
ecosselynx
- Posts:265
- Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am
- Location:Magnou, France
Re: Goodbye Money
Hi Alec
Yes, your correct in what you say. But when I take off the cap to top-up I don't have fluid dripping off or trying and stop it getting on paint work.
As I only do it every couple of years I'm happy taking the time both with the air supply and reservoir capacity. I was not saying it should be done in this manner only suggesting the manner I use.
Yes, your correct in what you say. But when I take off the cap to top-up I don't have fluid dripping off or trying and stop it getting on paint work.
As I only do it every couple of years I'm happy taking the time both with the air supply and reservoir capacity. I was not saying it should be done in this manner only suggesting the manner I use.
bye-o
John H.
John H.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

