A little surprise in remote servo
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Removed the remote servo of my 420 and emptied 5 bean cans full of brake fluid from the vacuum sides of it.Seals have definately gone.The last time i used the car i found it was starting to smoke from the exhaust now and again,that the slow pedal was firmer on a second push(although i could still lock the wheels on one push)and that i had a brake fuid leak somewhere but could not find it.I looked at all the symtoms individually and not together so did not realize the cause,all seems to make sense now and can`t wait to get it back together to see the difference.I never even considered that the smoking may have been brake fluid getting into the inlet manifold through the brake vacuum pipes.I`m much happier now
.
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
I had exactly the same problem with my 420 several years ago but I also had brake fluid leaking into the drivers footwell thanks to shot master cylinder seals. Ruined the carpets.
The big problem was bleeding the system through afterwards. We tried all sorts of different techniques but in the end I think we just got lucky and somehow succeeded. The problem is getting both pistons to move in the slave cylinder mounted on the servo, as they are not mechanically linked. We even tried reverse bleeding from the calipers back to the slave cylinder.
You might find that buying an Eezibleed will help with the problems of being in more than one place at once and in actually getting the pistons moving.
Regards
Stuart
The big problem was bleeding the system through afterwards. We tried all sorts of different techniques but in the end I think we just got lucky and somehow succeeded. The problem is getting both pistons to move in the slave cylinder mounted on the servo, as they are not mechanically linked. We even tried reverse bleeding from the calipers back to the slave cylinder.
You might find that buying an Eezibleed will help with the problems of being in more than one place at once and in actually getting the pistons moving.
Regards
Stuart
Cheers for the advice ,i plan to use the bleeder we have at work as i already suspected it may be a pig of a job.My master cylinder is fine but while i`m doing the rest of the braking system i may as well re-build it anyway.Good to know the smoke was just burning brake fluid and the leak was in the servo.Nothing more annoying than re-building something and not knowing what was at fault in the first place.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests