Life Expectancy Dunlop Sports Max GT Tyres 2010 XJ Portfolio

Moderator:jagmanvaughn

mallendick260

Member
Posts:1
Joined:Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:06 am
Life Expectancy Dunlop Sports Max GT Tyres 2010 XJ Portfolio

Postby mallendick260 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:16 pm

Can anyone confirm that these Dunlop Tyres are the correct ones to use for the XJ 2010 V6 Diesel, I had two rear Dunlops fitted 9 months ago have done 7,000 miles mainly motorway cruising and they failed the MOT having worn down to wear bars?

I do not drive or brake hard, no towing,

Best Regards RPM

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: Life Expectancy Dunlop Sports Max GT Tyres 2010 XJ Portfolio

Postby JimMann » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:47 pm

Best and simplest site to find tyre options for your car is to go to the Kwik Fit website. Not saying buy from Kwik Fit, just that they have a very easy to use tyre locator. Simply go to the website, click on tyres and then enter your registration number and postcode to see a list of options.
Not sure of the rating for the Sport Maxx GT tyres, but I would have thought they should do better than 7,000 miles.
Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory

User avatar
BrianG

Member
Posts:461
Joined:Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Location:West Sussex

Re: Life Expectancy Dunlop Sports Max GT Tyres 2010 XJ Portfolio

Postby BrianG » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:55 am

{EDIT}
That doesn't sound good! Wearing "down to the bars" should not be an MOT fail as the bars are at 2mm tread depth, so a little in hand before the 1.6mm legal minimum, unless you've gone below that.

I don't know how similar the weights are between your later X351 XJ and my 2006 X350 XJ Sport Premium, but for comparison I have run several sets of Dunlop Sport Max RT2 tyres in 255 x 40 Z19 size. I believe these are a softer compound than your Max GT compound, but are rated 100Y rather than the usual 96W or 97Y so are 'heavy duty'. I rarely get less than 15,000 miles from a rear pair and 20,000 or so from the fronts. What pressures do you run them at? Are they worn evenly across the whole tread width?
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey

tonx226

Member
Posts:1
Joined:Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Life Expectancy Dunlop Sports Max GT Tyres 2010 XJ Portfolio

Postby tonx226 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:51 pm

Probably a bit late to be of any help but I have Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tyres (19 inch) on my X351 3 litre (petrol) and they have still got a reasonable amount of tread after 26500 miles.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests