Anyone got any ideas, or maybe I should just get the Maystar disconnected and start again with another make?
Immobiliser
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
I recently bought a 1993 XJS which has been fitted with a "Maystar" immobiliser. Only one "key" came with the car and I can't find anyone who can supply a spare.
Anyone got any ideas, or maybe I should just get the Maystar disconnected and start again with another make?
Anyone got any ideas, or maybe I should just get the Maystar disconnected and start again with another make?
Immobiliser
thauditor
Hi and welcome to the XJS Forum
Do you mean just one "key" for the immobiliser?
As a facelift car do you have a "pipper" to operate central locking and Jaguar alarm system? If so I wouldn't worry too much, unless your insurance company insists that the car has an immobiliser fitted - which it does anyway.
Just don't lose the one you've got!
Whilst the cars may have been desirable targets for thieves in their day (and that's open to debate) I think the tea-leaves have moved on to more contemporary targets.
I should save your hard-earned for sub-frames, bushes. air-con, discs, waxoyl........
DH Dove
Hi and welcome to the XJS Forum
Do you mean just one "key" for the immobiliser?
As a facelift car do you have a "pipper" to operate central locking and Jaguar alarm system? If so I wouldn't worry too much, unless your insurance company insists that the car has an immobiliser fitted - which it does anyway.
Whilst the cars may have been desirable targets for thieves in their day (and that's open to debate) I think the tea-leaves have moved on to more contemporary targets.
I should save your hard-earned for sub-frames, bushes. air-con, discs, waxoyl........
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Immobiliser
Thanks for that.
Yes, I've got the pipper for the Jag alarm & c/locking. I wouldn't bother using the separate immobiliser, but it sets/resets itself so that I need the "key" to deactivate it every time I want to start the engine. If I go and lose the "key"..........................!*?
There is an emergency procedure which involves turning the ignition key on & off for a predetermined number of times & in sequence, but I'm lazy!
Cheers

Yes, I've got the pipper for the Jag alarm & c/locking. I wouldn't bother using the separate immobiliser, but it sets/resets itself so that I need the "key" to deactivate it every time I want to start the engine. If I go and lose the "key"..........................!*?
There is an emergency procedure which involves turning the ignition key on & off for a predetermined number of times & in sequence, but I'm lazy!
Cheers
Immobiliser
thauditor,
Welcome to the Bulletin Board!
There are a number of companies who sell replacement touchkeys for these sort of immobilisers. Also do you know which Maystar immobiliser is fitted? Compare your key with the pics that you can find on some of the online alarm parts retailers (see below)
I would start by contacting Maystar direct. I don't know their contact number for UK queries, but any decent car alarm installer can probably give you the details. Also many of the big alarm installers can order new touchkeys and other parts. Try:
www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk
or
www.dmsonline.co.uk
There are lots of similar companies like this. If you just trawl around the internet, I'm sure you'll easily resolve this problem.
Good luck
Paul
Welcome to the Bulletin Board!
There are a number of companies who sell replacement touchkeys for these sort of immobilisers. Also do you know which Maystar immobiliser is fitted? Compare your key with the pics that you can find on some of the online alarm parts retailers (see below)
I would start by contacting Maystar direct. I don't know their contact number for UK queries, but any decent car alarm installer can probably give you the details. Also many of the big alarm installers can order new touchkeys and other parts. Try:
www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk
or
www.dmsonline.co.uk
There are lots of similar companies like this. If you just trawl around the internet, I'm sure you'll easily resolve this problem.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Immobiliser
Hi Paul
Many thanks for the info - I'll give these guys a try. I believe Maystar have gone out of business.
Cheers
Many thanks for the info - I'll give these guys a try. I believe Maystar have gone out of business.
Cheers
Immobiliser
thauditor
I think perhaps it is worth reading the instructions and then turning the ignition key on and off as specified - sounds like a lot less hassle
Always assuming it works and doesn't immobilise your car permanently
Regards
DH Dove
I think perhaps it is worth reading the instructions and then turning the ignition key on and off as specified - sounds like a lot less hassle
Always assuming it works and doesn't immobilise your car permanently
Regards
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Immobiliser
Thanks for the responses, guys. Good to know there are people out there ready with help & advice.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests
