Convertible Wind Deflectors

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern
Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 am

Who supplies the best quality wind deflector for an XJS? I want to buy one but some I have seen look a little crude and so I thought best to ask here at the fountain of all XJS knowledge :D
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:10 pm

I can't believe that no one has a wind deflector on their XJS that they can recommend!

It is getting chilly out there with the roof down so please let me know how good yours is :?:
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

User avatar
JaguarMike

Member
Posts:75
Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:53 pm
Location:Coventry

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby JaguarMike » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi Michael,

Was it the Cabriolet version that had the little pop-up deflector on the windscreen header rail?

How good was this?

Was it an option / accessory I can't recall (I'll check my old brochures at work on Monday)?

Maybe it only reduced wind noise a little and didn't act as a deflector (even though I think it was called that).

I know it may not be suitable for Convertibles (maybe the mountings are not there), but if the opinion is that it was worthwhile, I can check if drawings are available and start from there?

JaguarMike

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi J M
The one I am interested in is fitted behind the front seats to reduce buffeting with the roof down, my problem is there are a few different manufacturers of them and I don't know which is the best and most effective.
Thanks
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

PaulE
Posts:433
Joined:Tue May 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby PaulE » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:40 pm

Do you mean the vertical gadget that lifts up behind the seats to stop the draught getting down your neck? I have seen these on several open XJS and the owners say they do work . They seem to be advertised in the mags.
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Paul

Yes that is the type I am interested in.

My question is about quality and fitting, some look a little heath robinson and look poorly made also some require drilling holes for fitting and others don't so I am hoping to hear from an owner that has one they are happy to recommend.
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby ptjs1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Michael,

Just type "deflector" into the SEARCH routine and you'll find the earlier thread on this.

(Using the search capability is often a good way of finding the answer without even having to ask the question!)

I'll send you pics of my wind deflector if that's of any help

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks Paul

Pics would help and supplier if you are happy with yours

Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

User avatar
davidm
Posts:39
Joined:Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:10 pm
Location:Hampshire

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby davidm » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:26 am

Michael
I've had the Classics Additions version for about 5 yrs. Its worn well and is effective.
Its a bit narrower than it could be, its obviously a standard item with bespoke brackets for the XJ-S
The main snag is that it is not easily removed, and with the hood up its difficult to get to the locker.
David
XJ-S V12 5.3 convertible, 1990 - Runs on AUTOGAS... and MGA roadster

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:31 am

Thanks for the info David, did your require drilling new holes to fit as some dont?
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

User avatar
davidm
Posts:39
Joined:Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:10 pm
Location:Hampshire

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby davidm » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Michael
I have no recollection of drilling holes. As I recall fitting was very simple
David
XJ-S V12 5.3 convertible, 1990 - Runs on AUTOGAS... and MGA roadster

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:44 am

Well I got one yesterday and it is going back today.

I asked if the frame was black metal or leatherette covered, I was told black metal but you guessed it leatherette is what I got.

I managed to remove rear quarter panels ready to fit (with Paul's Advise) but the brackets that came with it are so heath Robinson I am just returning it.

So I am now looking again, I just want a good quality item which will fit and not look like something I made in my shed. :( :(
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby ptjs1 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Michael,

If you've got one of the Classic Additions ones with their most recent version of the brackets (they have changed them a number of times) then I understand what you mean about the brackets. However, quite frankly, it doesn't get any better than that one. You could try ringing them and ask for some new brackets. I did that and they are better than the original ones and they sent them to me free!

My suggestion is that you either learn to live with it or else you learn to live without one. You can improve the wind issue by using the cheat method of putting up the rear windows whilst the hood is down. As you know I have one of the deflectors but I actually very rarely use it.

Buy a flying jacket (Aviation Leathercraft own the licence to the original Irvin jacket) and enjoy the wind in your hair and the envious looks! And take the car out with the hood down now in the snow with the heater on high - class motoring!

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:57 am

If only I had enough hair for the wind :lol:

I am trying a guy who supplied a wind deflector for an Aero 8 I once had, he seems to think he may be able to come up with a quality product I will hopefully hear back tomorrow from him.
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan

MichaelSB

Member
Posts:409
Joined:Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 am
Location:Hanley Swan Nr Malvern

Convertible Wind Deflectors

Postby MichaelSB » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:36 am

Well after exhausting every one I could think of I have bought a Adamesh wind deflector and had the brackets chromed, finally fitted it yesterday and although I don't like the fitting method or quality it does do the job.

Now what to do next :idea:

Michael
Michael


Current
Jaguar XK8 4.2S Convertible
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Polaris Ranger
T6.1 VW Campervan


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests