No ticking from fuel pump on start up

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

iain3660

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:24 pm
No ticking from fuel pump on start up

Postby iain3660 » Wed May 21, 2025 6:06 pm

Hi,
I went to start up my mkII 240 today and when I turned the ignition on and waited from the fuel pump ticking sound that I really like, all I got was silence. At first I thought the battery was flat but the fuel guage moved and when pressed the button she spluttered into life for a few seconds then cut out. Repeated starts failed and when I checked under the bonnet, the fuel filter bowl was empty. I’m guessing the pump has failed. I haven’t investigated yet but is this likely to be an easy fix (cleaning points) or a new pump? Rookie classic owner but looking forward to trying to fix.
Ta

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: No ticking from fuel pump on start up

Postby mike020150 » Thu May 22, 2025 9:42 am

Try tapping the pump with the ignition switched on. If it starts working, there's a good chance that you will be able to get away with just cleaning the points (slightly fiddly but not difficult). If the pump requires replacement, consider the merits of using an updated electronic version which does away with mechanical points. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

iain3660

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:24 pm

Re: No ticking from fuel pump on start up

Postby iain3660 » Thu May 22, 2025 9:51 am

Thanks Mike, I will give it a go.
Iain

iain3660

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:24 pm

Re: No ticking from fuel pump on start up

Postby iain3660 » Thu May 22, 2025 4:39 pm

That worked a treat! Thanks 🙏


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests