
Suitable ramps
-
russdbl6156

- Posts:3
- Joined:Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:35 am
So it’s time to get under the car and clean before lanoguard. Will the car get up normal incline ramps or will I have to source low profile ramps ? Many thanks in advance 

Re: Suitable ramps
I can't say about ramps - I threw mine away after I bent the front wings on my XJ6 Series 2 'cos they hit the ramps, that was years ago. Also, the ramps tended to squirt out from under the wheels - I read that wrapping old carpet round the lowest rung so that you then drive over it to hold the ramp in place should work, but it didn't....
Whatever, before you get to lanoguard, I guess you'll need to remove the underbody trays (unless they're already off). Be prepared for work - general experience is the beautiful hex-head screws and clever brackets they go into suffer terribly from corrosion and seizing. I intend some day "real soon" to put my car on my lift, take of the front wheel-arch liners (same brackets, but fewer, and I think servicing needs mean they've been moved occasionally), and then soak the visible brackets on the front under-tray in penetrating oil. I fully expect the hex head bolts to shear even so, so I'll have bought a big pack of replacements...
Whatever, before you get to lanoguard, I guess you'll need to remove the underbody trays (unless they're already off). Be prepared for work - general experience is the beautiful hex-head screws and clever brackets they go into suffer terribly from corrosion and seizing. I intend some day "real soon" to put my car on my lift, take of the front wheel-arch liners (same brackets, but fewer, and I think servicing needs mean they've been moved occasionally), and then soak the visible brackets on the front under-tray in penetrating oil. I fully expect the hex head bolts to shear even so, so I'll have bought a big pack of replacements...
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Suitable ramps
I think from memory, that I was ok on the front with my old x350, but had some challenges when reversing up on the rear wheels.
What you can do, is jack the car on each side to give clearance to access the ramps to the wheels, wedge the wheels at the other end, put the ramps into position under the edge of the tyres, put a long fence post or similar in front of the ramps and use something to stop the ramps pushing out, then lower the jacks, then drive the car on to the ramps. Repeat procedure in reverse to take the car off the ramps.
Good luck
Paul
What you can do, is jack the car on each side to give clearance to access the ramps to the wheels, wedge the wheels at the other end, put the ramps into position under the edge of the tyres, put a long fence post or similar in front of the ramps and use something to stop the ramps pushing out, then lower the jacks, then drive the car on to the ramps. Repeat procedure in reverse to take the car off the ramps.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests