Suitable Tyres for XJS
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Since Pirelli do not now make the tyre size for my 1994 4.0 litre convertible XJS what brand of tyre is the most suitable? The size is 225x60x16.
Re: Suitable Tyres for XJS
Hi Nesh - you may find more choice if you go for the 55 section tyre that was fitted as standard for the sport spec. However, this is a lower section with a little less compliance and you will feel it in the ride quality.
Convertibles were fitted as standard with the Touring spec which included the more compliant 60 section tyres you mention.
I recently changed mine on my own Celebration convertible and fitted Falken which I'm pleased with.
I hope that helps
Convertibles were fitted as standard with the Touring spec which included the more compliant 60 section tyres you mention.
I recently changed mine on my own Celebration convertible and fitted Falken which I'm pleased with.
I hope that helps
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Suitable Tyres for XJS
As David says, the 225/55 tyre was fitted when Sports suspension was fitted on the Convertible. I changed to 225/55 many years ago, even before I changed to Sports Suspension. I can't say that I really noticed a difference in the ride characteristics until I also changed the shocks.
I have Hankook tyres fitted, which I've now also got on a Mini and a C-class Merc. Have a look at the Hankook 225/55 Ventus Prime3 & Prime4 tyres.
Cheers
Paul
I have Hankook tyres fitted, which I've now also got on a Mini and a C-class Merc. Have a look at the Hankook 225/55 Ventus Prime3 & Prime4 tyres.
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Suitable Tyres for XJS
Thankyou all for your replies. I have chosen Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 102W 225 60 16W which come highly recommended.
Re: Suitable Tyres for XJS
nesh,
Looks a well-recommended tyre, albeit big money!! I think that's why most owners have switched to the slightly sportier but cheaper 225/55 size.
Do let us know how you get on with them.
Paul
Looks a well-recommended tyre, albeit big money!! I think that's why most owners have switched to the slightly sportier but cheaper 225/55 size.
Do let us know how you get on with them.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Suitable Tyres for XJS
Looking on the Protyre site I notice some are available in either V or W rating.
Is the V suitable or does it have to be W? Not a great difference in price but it all helps.
Is the V suitable or does it have to be W? Not a great difference in price but it all helps.
Re: Suitable Tyres for XJS
Guys
For what it is worth, I found Longstone Tyres 01302 711123, info@longstonetyres.co.uk very helpful when replacing the 18 year old tyres that my XJ-S was on when I bought it!
Peter
For what it is worth, I found Longstone Tyres 01302 711123, info@longstonetyres.co.uk very helpful when replacing the 18 year old tyres that my XJ-S was on when I bought it!
Peter
1990 XJ-S HE V12 Coupe, 1989 (I think) Daimler Double Six V12 HE Engine - taking apart and rebuilding to learn about engines in detail - finally!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

